Why does WMP do this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Now I have WMP installed on my Win XP SP2 machine and I also have ZA installed. Whenever I begin playing any type of a media file, WMP firsts tries to access the 127.0.0.1 something (thats the loopback interface) and then it tries to send something to this address 207.46.210.107:HTTP. And you guessed it rite when we put this address onto the web browser it doesnt turn up anything it just says "Directory Listing Disable" or sumthing. So I did a directory lookup of it and it turned up this "redir.metaservices.microsoft.com (207.46.210.107) is located in Redmond, Washington, United States."

Now I am pissed. I wanted to know what is WMP doing and why is it doing it. Any ideas ??

PS: Ppl using the latest WMP version pls beware coz this is happening.

champ_rock

champ_rock
i think it is trying to gather information about the track that u r playing.. i.e. artist name, track name etc...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can actually disable it from sending the information from the menu. Or you can
block WMP from accessing the Net using ZoneAlarm.

digiFriend

In the zone
in media player
-tools
-option
-player disable "connect to internet"
-privacy disable " retrieve media information for CDs and DVDs from the
internet"
-privacy disable "update my music ... "

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Me too faced the same problem, even after disableing the options mentioned by digiFriend. It always try to connect net on start.
I htink its bcoz of URGE service...
Though I hv allowed it to do so. :D

OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
@Vishal:- Same here man. I also am afraid that my a$$ will get fried so I disabled all the options that digifriend has listed even tho i get that access thing.

OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
janitha said:
I just disabled it in ZA and no problem since then.

This is the dumbest reply I have ever seen.

Anyways what I wanted to know is why does WMP do this and what does it get outta this ??

digiFriend

In the zone
When the Windows Media Player 9 Series starts, it updates the radio preset list from the Internet. (that why media player 9 tries to connect the internet.)

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft Media Player 9

The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download the WindowsMedia9-KB822964-x86-ENU.exe package.

for more information follow the link below:
*support.microsoft.com/KB/822964

OP
djmykey

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I am talking abt WMP 11 Beta (the sleek looking black player with a big blue play button in the middle). Any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom