Why Banshee need Mono to be installed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
What have you got against languages? .Net has some great concepts in it and lots of classes, I don't see any reason why its to be hated either in its native or in mono form. Sure its a bit slow being based on something interpretive/virtual like Java but thats no reason you'd deny the good apps built on it.

But anyways, thread's filled with one vehemently and blindly opposed to anything that has something or the other to do with the MSFT even remotely, and one who's a bunny, supporting him :p

I guess I'd like to be the Alpaca for some more time :p

Last edited:
OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I wouldn't mind if it weren't for bunch of applications (just 2 in case).

Basically my main look out was for last fm recommendation plugin, which is not available for the latest build of Banshee.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
So you mean you'd mind if it was used in a lot of applications? :confused:

Gnome-Do runs on Mono too btw (and a small mix of other languages). There's even F-Spot and Tomboy notes iirc. Gnome-Do is one revolutionary application and its all thanks to Mono's easiness.

(Though I'd prefer using Python with Qt any day for my applications, he found his proficiency with Mono and he used it well!)

praka123

left this forum longback
the reason being M$ to attack Linux for "this" reason also. that is .net as mono. you cannot believe m$ . mind it :p

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Fine, think as you like. I'd think an open source supporter's mind would be open to innovation in other forms too, but its clearly not so.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
So you mean you'd mind if it was used in a lot of applications? :confused:

Gnome-Do runs on Mono too btw (and a small mix of other languages). There's even F-Spot and Tomboy notes iirc. Gnome-Do is one revolutionary application and its all thanks to Mono's easiness.
Nope, id there are more apps dependent on it and interest me then it not a problem. I even haven't installed Wine (just cuz i don't want to screw things for few games, its better to use XP for that)

I don't have F-Spot and Tomboy installed. gThumb serves me well and then comes GIMP for heavy editing.

The first time I came to know abt mono was while installing Beagle in Arch. Previously it was by Default in Ubuntu, which now I have lost touch for an eon.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
The first time I came to know abt mono was while installing Beagle in Arch. Previously it was by Default in Ubuntu, which now I have lost touch for an eon.
Mono comes by default on Ubuntu? Hmmm I thought I had to install Mono on my system to get something to work :|.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
I wouldn't mind if it weren't for bunch of applications (just 2 in case).

Basically my main look out was for last fm recommendation plugin, which is not available for the latest build of Banshee.
I would personally recommend you to try out quodlibet, my current favourite, with many plugins including audioscrobber ie., last.fm

praka123

left this forum longback
no mono at all in my debian and ubuntu :p .though I liked many mono apps :|

rather use QT than mono :evil:

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Banshee was the closest program to Foobar I could find for Gnome .. Now using Rhythmbox for the time being ..

Now what do we have against Mono ? Does it hurt some Anti Microsoft ego ..?? It came installed by default on my Ubuntu installation also ..

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ +1. I don't care about the platform as long as the application serves my purpose. I find Banshee-1 quite good in comparison to Rhythmbox. Just waiting for more customizations.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Foobar is awesome ! Only if they can make a linux version too...it will beat the crap out of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom