Which UPS to buy?

clmlbx

Technomancer
Now after long 6-7 years my UPS has Died now need to buy New one ASAP. so give me some Quick suggestions.

Config is in my Signature + router & speakers

Back up time As much as possible.

Budget is 3K around

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
Is that enough for my config, It is 360W, If I calculate I have 500w PSU I believe even on idle it will have 300-350W + monitor +speaker + router, It is my work station so it won't be on idle any time

over here power cuts are very frequent and most of them are for just few minutes, even power fluctuates a lot..... Mine comp is mostly my Work station, I need to save my Data before switching off if not then it backs me up by around 30 mins,

one more thing My comp runs 24x7 so can ups be charged while it is running or it has to be switched off to charge

tkin

Back to school!!
Trust me, its good enough, those ratings are over rated, your pc does not draw that much power, in idle it draws 150w around max, unless you are playing games or rendering it will give 30mins+ backup easily, and even if you are gaming it will give 10-15mins backup.

If you want to monitor battery levels, remaining backup time and initiate auto shutdown incase of battery running out after power cut then you can buy this: Theitdepot - APC Back UPS 650 (BE650Y-IN)

Its cheaper locally, around 3k max.

UPS can be charged while running, but after buying it, charge it for 12 hrs straight and don't use it at that time, after that use it normally.

casual_gamer

In the zone
has anyone faced the problem of router restarting when power goes off. i have a numeric 600va, i get 15 min backup, but once power goes off, router (dlink glb-502t) restarts. what can be the problem? i had this problem with my older ups as well.

tkin

Back to school!!
has anyone faced the problem of router restarting when power goes off. i have a numeric 600va, i get 15 min backup, but once power goes off, router (dlink glb-502t) restarts. what can be the problem? i had this problem with my older ups as well.
Problem with switching circuitry, its not fast enough. Thats means its the fault of the UPS.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
@ tkin

which is better between both UPS you mentioned, I see their are few difference in number (joules) but mostly "650" says recharge time just 5 hours as opposed to "600" 10 hours

I am inclined towards "650" for now if I get it around 3K so should I charge 12 hours this ups as mentioned recharge time is just 5 hours .

so "650" will also give me 30+ minutes of backup time, I don't game but rendering might. (10-12 mins for rendering )

tkin

Back to school!!
@ tkin

which is better between both UPS you mentioned, I see their are few difference in number (joules) but mostly "650" says recharge time just 5 hours as opposed to "600" 10 hours

I am inclined towards "650" for now if I get it around 3K so should I charge 12 hours this ups as mentioned recharge time is just 5 hours .

so "650" will also give me 30+ minutes of backup time, I don't game but rendering might. (10-12 mins for rendering )
No no, charging time is 5 hrs, but after buying, you should charge any UP for 12hrs, first time only.

650 model is better, go for it eye closed.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
thank you Tkin, 650 is Final I will buy this in couple of Days Max,

Thank you, will update as soon as I get it or any new changes

casual_gamer

In the zone
Problem with switching circuitry, its not fast enough. Thats means its the fault of the UPS.
sometimes the router does not restart, but restarting happens 80% of the time.

i found a nice thread in another forum which says problem is with the capacitor in router adapter ADSL Modems and wifi-router with modem that doesn't restart during a power cut. - TechEnclave The threadstarter there is using APC, but still he has this problem, so i suspect it can't be ups problem.

tkin

Back to school!!
sometimes the router does not restart, but restarting happens 80% of the time.

i found a nice thread in another forum which says problem is with the capacitor in router adapter ADSL Modems and wifi-router with modem that doesn't restart during a power cut. - TechEnclave The threadstarter there is using APC, but still he has this problem, so i suspect it can't be ups problem.
Could be, try to get it checked.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Someone mentioned the intex 1 kva in some other post. how is it as a ups? Never used an intex product before. I guess it won't be as good as apc(I'm guessing here), but how is it nevertheless?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
@tkin,i am using intex along with few others here & have faced no problem.sure it gives lesser backup time compared to APC but then one does not need more than 5 minutes to save all work & shutdown system(btw intex gives ~10-15min less backup time than APC i think).

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin,i am using intex along with few others here & have faced no problem.sure it gives lesser backup time compared to APC but then one does not need more than 5 minutes to save all work & shutdown system(btw intex gives ~10-15min less backup time than APC i think).
Some of my friend bought intex, it switches too much, even when voltage dips a bit low, and eventually that causes wear to the battery, apc does not switch that much but stabilizes the voltage.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
that is not intex shortcoming but rather APC feature.a ups is supposed to switch when voltage drops below a certain level.APC being a costlier brand uses additional circuit/components(xener diode type i think)to maintain a certain voltage level even when there are fluctuations in input voltage.in my city there are no such fluctuations in voltage & intex ups is working fine.

tkin

Back to school!!
that is not intex shortcoming but rather APC feature.a ups is supposed to switch when voltage drops below a certain level.APC being a costlier brand uses additional circuit/components(xener diode type i think)to maintain a certain voltage level even when there are fluctuations in input voltage.in my city there are no such fluctuations in voltage & intex ups is working fine.
See my input about surge protection in the other thread, if you can get a 600va APC for 2.2k, then why not? It costs 2.2k locally.

jasku

In the zone
The 600Va is good option, but if your budget is 3k, I suggest the 650VA which is a 'smart' UPS, can connect it to your PC via usb, monitor, auto shutdown, I think its totally worth it. I have been using the 600, 650 for past 5 years, just moved to the APC 1KVA model.

Bottom line for your budget go for the 650VA, as already suggested by a member.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
well if that is the case then APC is recommended.however many people now-a-days have a inverter in their home & if a UPS is plugged into a home inverter connected wall socket then that take care of the voltage surges.of course if someone does not have such a system then APC is recommended assuming such fluctuations/surges are common.

P.S.i thought kolkata is much better when it comes to electricity problems compared to states like UP.are such surges common over there?

Top Bottom