Which UPS to buy?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
apc does not switch that much but stabilizes the voltage.

Not much, i've compared a Zebronics 600va & APC RS600 head to head in low voltage. APC switches a lot than zeb.
I thought it was unit fault but my bro's RS600 does the same..

tkin

Back to school!!
Not much, i've compared a Zebronics 600va & APC RS600 head to head in low voltage. APC switches a lot than zeb.
I thought it was unit fault but my bro's RS600 does the same..
Uts the exact opposite with my case, my 1100va barely switches while my Microtek switches a lot, no idea about zebronics.

tkin

Back to school!!
well if that is the case then APC is recommended.however many people now-a-days have a inverter in their home & if a UPS is plugged into a home inverter connected wall socket then that take care of the voltage surges.of course if someone does not have such a system then APC is recommended assuming such fluctuations/surges are common.

P.S.i thought kolkata is much better when it comes to electricity problems compared to states like UP.are such surges common over there?
It wasn't cause by Electric supply, it was caused by a cheap chinese hair dryer that short circuited, thankfully no one was injured, but apart from the modem we also lost our age old CRT tv, but my dad manged to get it repaired, was thinking that we would get a LCD this time :cry:

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
yesterday it self I went to buy APC UPS but as usual Product was unavailable.

Available models were

550 @ Rs 1800
600 @ Rs 2150

Dealer said will try to get it in couple of Days, will check again tomorrow, Finger crossed lol

tkin

Back to school!!
yesterday it self I went to buy APC UPS but as usual Product was unavailable.

Available models were

550 @ Rs 1800
600 @ Rs 2150

Dealer said will try to get it in couple of Days, will check again tomorrow, Finger crossed lol
Try to get the 600 model, 550 is good too, but bigger the better.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
Found APC 650, but price was 3250 From Rashi, I don't think I can get it at low cost then that as Rashi is a Dealer.. but then had a little argument with rashi Executive & then I moved out,
From where should I buy this product online?

tkin

Back to school!!
No where, damn thing is so heavy if you buy online you have to shell out 500/- easy for shipping, buy locally.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
I hate that,:mad: I will have to go back their..Anyways you said to recharge it 12 hours before using it.. I want to clear something

should I recharge it 12 hours or I should recharge one complete recharge which should be done in 5 hours as mentioned.

I mean for this product won't it be overcharged (twice mentioned)

And yes even I am talking about just First recharge, before starting using it

tkin

Back to school!!
I hate that,:mad: I will have to go back their..Anyways you said to recharge it 12 hours before using it.. I want to clear something

should I recharge it 12 hours or I should recharge one complete recharge which should be done in 5 hours as mentioned.

I mean for this product won't it be overcharged (twice mentioned)

And yes even I am talking about just First recharge, before starting using it
Fist time, charge for 12hrs, from next time, it'll charge on its own whenever it gets power, no need to charge it as such.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
Ok Now I finally Got it at Rs 3250..with **** Packaging.. Reason they Gave as it is because of long Transportation and it is Damn Heavy..

Well Kept it for Charging...12 hours countdown.. Most probably will start using it from tomorrow morning..

guys I just Installed new UPS, at start it takes almost or more 20quick amber blinks(status light) to start (come on-line staus green).. Is it normal for APC 650VA

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Ok Now I finally Got it at Rs 3250..with **** Packaging.. Reason they Gave as it is because of long Transportation and it is Damn Heavy..

Well Kept it for Charging...12 hours countdown.. Most probably will start using it from tomorrow morning..

guys I just Installed new UPS, at start it takes almost or more 20quick amber blinks(status light) to start (come on-line staus green).. Is it normal for APC 650VA
Its normal, its the power on self test, aka POST.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
@ tkin
thank you for all your help,
Installed and working perfectly for now, did a self test and system was on Battery for 5-6 minutes.

downloaded and Installed latest version for powerchute and it shows all info needed..

My actual power is calculated around 100W, so can use other appliances, battery back up time shows is 38 minutes, so am confident it will provide 30 minutes at least.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

patrick4

Chief
can you please let me know the exact model and from where you purchased your product??

Also does it have a beep sound when it runs on battery? can it be enabled/ disabled?

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
I bought APC BE650y-IN from APC distributor it self.

Yes, It does have beep sound which can be enable or disabled, disabled even for defined period of time (like at night)

malcolm_cg

Broken In
I bought APC BE650y-IN from APC distributor it self.

Yes, It does have beep sound which can be enable or disabled, disabled even for defined period of time (like at night)

very nice ups. i own 2 of these hooked to 2 always on pc's. one in office & 1 at home. leave it on unattended on my always on download rig at home & in office its on a pc with printing/scanning & surveillance.
today i bought an apc 1100va :D
btw, very nice buy

tkin

Back to school!!
very nice ups. i own 2 of these hooked to 2 always on pc's. one in office & 1 at home. leave it on unattended on my always on download rig at home & in office its on a pc with printing/scanning & surveillance.
today i bought an apc 1100va :D
btw, very nice buy
I also have the 1100va, no support for pc surveillance though :-( miss that feature.

casual_gamer

In the zone
has anyone faced the problem of router restarting when power goes off. i have a numeric 600va, i get 15 min backup, but once power goes off, router (dlink glb-502t) restarts. what can be the problem? i had this problem with my older ups as well.

Problem with switching circuitry, its not fast enough. Thats means its the fault of the UPS.

i found a nice thread in another forum which says problem is with the capacitor in router adapter ADSL Modems and wifi-router with modem that doesn't restart during a power cut. - TechEnclave The threadstarter there is using APC, but still he has this problem, so i suspect it can't be ups problem.

I bought a new modem+router D-Link DSL-2730U. the router has not even restarted once after the power went off. so the problem was with the old modem's adapter and not the ups. thanks to D-link for correcting the problem.

Top Bottom