Which Ubuntu should I Install??

tkin

Back to school!!
Your call. But I would still insist yo install using wubi or install it properly alongside windows for true Linux experience ;)
I don't like VMs, at all.
Win 7.. cough cough.... loader modified... cough :D:D

aaruni

The Linux Guy
^have dl'ed LTS..

i have Win 7 installed now.. if i install the Ubuntu now, will the Boot select menu be installed automatically, or do i have to do anything else??

AFAIK, ubuntu installs and configures grub automatically to be able to boot in windows.

axes2t2

I am a cat
I have heard/read that wubi is slow.

Whatever that means ?

Also,to anyone using Wubi backup your boot loader using EasyBCD.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
wow! thanks for all the discussions guys..

one more thing.. i have burned the iso on to a DVD for Ubuntu Live, and have configured the DVD drive as first boot device.. however, the ubuntu does NOT boot up during start. i can hear the dvd spinning inside, but there is no prompt for booting from DVD. windows boots straight up. i am attaching the Ubuntu DVD file structure. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/open-source/9100d1361596211-ubuntu-should-i-install-ubuntu-stucture.gif

it includes wubi.exe.. is this the reason its not booting up at startup??

I have heard/read that wubi is slow.

Whatever that means ?

Also,to anyone using Wubi backup your boot loader using EasyBCD.

EasyBCD is not free.. :(

Attachments

• ubuntu stucture.gif
    ubuntu stucture.gif
    83.4 KB · Views: 178

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
wow! thanks for all the discussions guys..

one more thing.. i have burned the iso on to a DVD for Ubuntu Live, and have configured the DVD drive as first boot device.. however, the ubuntu does NOT boot up during start. i can hear the dvd spinning inside, but there is no prompt for booting from DVD. windows boots straight up. i am attaching the Ubuntu DVD file structure. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/open-source/9100d1361596211-ubuntu-should-i-install-ubuntu-stucture.gif

it includes wubi.exe.. is this the reason its not booting up at startup??

EasyBCD is not free.. :(

Are you installing through wubi ? It needs to be directly executed from windows.

And easybcd is free.

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Yes i know wubi is the Desktop installer. but i am asking about the DVD.. is it Ubuntu Live Capable?? I would like to have a feel of it before installing.

yeah, its free... didnt see the dl links.. my bad :p

Neo

Yes i know wubi is the Desktop installer. but i am asking about the DVD.. is it Ubuntu Live Capable?? I would like to have a feel of it before installing.

yeah, its free... didnt see the dl links.. my bad :p

Yeah. Its capable of running a live session. Check properly that the cs drive is 1st in the priority for boot device.

moltenskull

Journeyman
Anirbandd,Whichever Ubuntu you install(I installed 12.10),make sure to uninstall it carefully if you don't like it and replace the boot loader (I think that is what it is called :p ) with a repaired master boot record before booting into windows,else windows won't boot.I made that mistake and had to format my HDD as the MBR did not fix itself with the commands given.And why not try it from a USB Drive if your DVD is not working.I did it from a bootable USB stick created using Universal USB installer--

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Instructions--

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

And to bring up the boot menu,you have to repeatedly press F12 on some computers,as written here--

Install Ubuntu 12.10 | Ubuntu

And yes,happy birthday ! And best of luck installing ubuntu....:)

tkin

Back to school!!
Anirbandd,Whichever Ubuntu you install(I installed 12.10),make sure to uninstall it carefully if you don't like it and replace the boot loader (I think that is what it is called :p ) with a repaired master boot record before booting into windows,else windows won't boot.I made that mistake and had to format my HDD as the MBR did not fix itself with the commands given.And why not try it from a USB Drive if your DVD is not working.I did it from a bootable USB stick created using Universal USB installer--

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Instructions--

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

And to bring up the boot menu,you have to repeatedly press F12 on some computers,as written here--

Install Ubuntu 12.10 | Ubuntu

And yes,happy birthday ! And best of luck installing ubuntu....:)
If the MBR is broken, can't you repair it with Partition Wizard? I just used it to wipe my HDD as I turned it into dynamic and couldn't delete them via Win 7 installer.

moltenskull

Journeyman
Haha,at 4 a.m. in the morning,with my PC rebooting multiple times...I did not have the patience to search for Partition Wizard,to be honest..:D What is it,am hearing about it for the first time....:)

tkin

Back to school!!
Haha,at 4 a.m. in the morning,with my PC rebooting multiple times...I did not have the patience to search for Partition Wizard,to be honest..:D What is it,am hearing about it for the first time....:)
Small bootable ISO: How to fix MBR with partition manager?

moltenskull

Journeyman
Alright,thanks a lot...:) Have bookmarked it for future reference,just in case I decide to fully install Ubuntu again....:D Thanks again! :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If the MBR is broken, can't you repair it with Partition Wizard? I just used it to wipe my HDD as I turned it into dynamic and couldn't delete them via Win 7 installer.

Corrupt MBR and dynamic disk are two totally different problems.
Plus you can get away with dynamic disk problem if you haven't turn off the pc, then use easeus partition manager.

zapout

Ideas are Bulletproof
if somehow ubuntu does screwup windows 7 bootloader, you can easly fix it, you just have to creat "System Repair disc" before installing ubuntu(you can also do this with windows installtion disc, but i haven't tried installtion disc method myself), and after if something goes wrong with windows 7 you can follow this guide-
How to Manually Repair Windows 7 Boot Loader Problems

i've used this method plenty times when i was having problem dual booting windows7 and ubuntu.

Top Bottom