Which RAM for SB?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Hey guys upgrading my PC to sandy bridge. I hav decided on,
CPU : Intel i5 2500K
Mobo : Asus P8Z68-V
RAM : Ripjaws X Series 8GB CL8 or Vengeance 8GB CL9 (Vengeance in stated as only XMP qualified RAM, Ripjaws X is CL8, which is ideal for gaming n OCing?)(CL8 vs CL9)

Which RAM sticks to get??
Getting the RAMs from U.S, so any other better RAM around $100??

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I'd say Ripjaws X CL8. You won't have any problem using a CPU cooler with them. Vengeance are actually quite big.

Amhuinn

Right off the assembly line
I do not think that Vengeance is good choice. one drawback of it is that It is big in size . So I personally feel that Ripjaws is the wonderful and reliable .

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah, vengeance is high profile. So you will be left with not many choices for CPU coolers.

Get the low profile vengeance version if you can get it, else Ripjaws is good.

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
I do not think that Vengeance is good choice. one drawback of it is that It is big in size . So I personally feel that Ripjaws is the wonderful and reliable .

Ya i know the issues with some CPU coolers... I wont b OCing a lot...
I am concerned about the performance of the RAM..

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Corsair have released low profile Vengeance and these should be available here shortly. But CL8 RAMs should be better than CL9.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
TBH get teh low profile version. Both RAMs are good Ripjaws and Vengeance, meant for overclocking...I cannot comment which one is better. I got the Vengeance because of Corsair support.

I had to enable XMP support in Bios for 1600MHz.

Also CL8 RAM is better than CL9 provided the frequency is same for both.

S_V

In the zone
Go for Ripjaws ..CL8..
But

Corsair is also good but yes they hinder large CPU coolers. Performance wise more or less between them. But CL8 is always good than CL9.

But IMHO , I would say you to get these G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 2133. They are worth and perform better...

Last edited:
OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Thanks guys, so goin for RipjawsX Cl8...
One last ques, It is said that only Vengeance is qualified XMP memory, wat abt ripjawsX??
Does XMP qualification make any diff???

S_V

In the zone
Check my post again.

Also XMP qualification doesn't really going to be a problem. It's like prepaid card ,once set it will auto configure from it's SPD profile. Other than that,if you set manual according to specs you won't find much difference.

Also you May consider these also RipJaws X CL7 or RipJaws X CL6. Get two sets since they are very cheap.

Last edited:
OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Thanks for the info S_V..
Are RipjawsX 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 CL7 better than RipjawsX 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 CL8 ??

S_V

In the zone
I didn't give you any 1333 FSB Rams link.

The Answer is NO. Though you won't find much performance difference between 1333 and 1600 in General usage unless you do Ram dependent applications or Benchmarking.

OP
MegaMind

MegaMind

Human Spambot
@S_V, ok i'll stick to 1600MHz...
I was thinkin on getting a 2*4GB kit n later if needed, another 2*4GB kit...

tkin

Back to school!!
You won't get warranty for RAMs bought in US here, but if you have considered that then buy this: Vengeance™ Low Profile White — 1.35V 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9W) - Vengeance - Memory

It just launched and 1600MHz at 1.35v.

Top Bottom