Which PSU should I buy ???....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Hi 2 all,I am planning to build a gaming rig and need help in choosing psu. my specs r below...

Amd Phenom 2 940 black edtn.
ASus m3a 78 t.
Hdd 500 g.b seagate 7200 rpm + 1 t.b seagate hdd..
Ram 2*3 gb zion 1066....
2 optical drives L.g and sony d.v.d writer....
gpu xfx gts 250 1 gb or gts 260...
Case antec 900 or thermaltake armor + vx...

And plz suggest that do I need any cooling device for this rig....'

I was thinking 4 Corsair tx 750 but the price is 2 much... as I earlier mentioned abt zebronics 700 watts psu @3.2k,is it worth buying..? ,will it able 2 support my rig....' as it runs 4 nearly 17hrs a day...!

Or should I go 4 the Corsair vx 550...?

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
Hi 2 all,I am planning to build a gaming rig and need help in choosing psu. my specs r below...

Amd Phenom 2 940 black edtn.
ASus m3a 78 t.
Hdd 500 g.b seagate 7200 rpm + 1 t.b seagate hdd..
Ram 2*3 gb zion 1066....
2 optical drives L.g and sony d.v.d writer....
gpu xfx gts 250 1 gb or gts 260...
Case antec 900 or thermaltake armor + vx...

And plz suggest that do I need any cooling device for this rig....'

I was thinking 4 Corsair tx 750 but the price is 2 much... as I earlier mentioned abt zebronics 700 watts psu @3.2k,is it worth buying..? ,will it able 2 support my rig....' as it runs 4 nearly 17hrs a day...!

Or should I go 4 the Corsair vx 550...?
Yes you can do with Corsair vx 550 but don't even think about zebronics 700 watts psu @3.2k should be from an older series. If you really want to save bucks go with Antec EA-650w for 4.8k or so at least. Taking zebronics they have rolled out a fresh series called realwatts In that series pro 600w @3.7k looks little bit intersesting.Check this out just keep in mind they advertised it 80% eficient themself not certified by 80 plus organisasion.

*www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/preview-zebronics-pro-series-600w-smps-132730.html

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Grab a Antec EA-650w in that case. Good and clean dc power with a good efficiency in a pretty decent price. It will have good amount of firepower if you need so and the price for corsair is pretty high antec EA 650~ cm real power 550w is a wiser choice.

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
^^ Grab a Antec EA-650w in that case. Good and clean dc power with a good efficiency in a pretty decent price. It will have good amount of firepower if you need so and the price for corsair is pretty high antec EA 650~ cm real power 550w is a wiser choice.

Erm how is it compared to the corsair??WWhats the price of the antec power supply??

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Corsair power supplies are made by 2 companies- seasonic and channelwell. Seasonic makes fantastic power supplies and channelwell uses seasonic power supplies as a reference to design their power supplies. Antec EA 650w is also made by seasonic. This should give you a good idea about +12v rails:
*www.mikhailtech.com/Reviewers/Peter_Kapas/Antec650W/chart1.jpg
It costs around 4.8k. VX550 will cost you 5.5k

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
Haven't decided one yet...but prolly in the 6-8k range...so more like mid range cars...how much power do they consume?
In your budget for gfx card at most you can have ati 4850 and your total power requirements should not cross Corsair vx450 or even Antec EA-430w will do.just look at prices.
Corsair VX550 6k
Antec EA 650 4.8k
Corsair VX450 4k (suits you best)
Antec EA430 3.3k

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
In your budget for gfx card at most you can have ati 4850 and your total power requirements should not cross Corsair vx450 or even Antec EA-430w will do.just look at prices.
Corsair VX550 6k
Antec EA 650 4.8k
Corsair VX450 4k (suits you best)
Antec EA430 3.3k

Whaa??y is antec 650w cheaper than corsair 550w???Is there difference in quality or something??Or is it less efficient?how is it inferior to corsair 550w one?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I dont think antec ea650 is inferior :p. This one is also a seasonic built like corsair vx550. Only difference is that the pcb on the antec ea650 is single layer pcb (which isnt a con really) and the warranty is only 3 years, and vx550 is 5 years. Even if you see it that way, real power 550w is cheaper than vx550 and its practically a direct competitor. If you are a person who makes an upgrade every now and then, you would think why would I pay for vx450 for so much when I can add 600-800 bucks and get antec EA 650. If you want complete 5 years warranty, coolermaster real power 550 to the rescue!!! I am not against corsair product- its a fantastic product. But since distris have jacked the price up, one will obviously look for better options and there are options which are available in the market.

deadkiss 009

I like to FIFA
Beside The Sorcerer's valuable thread in hardware section, one can find enough information about PSU in this link :

*www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100557126

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
Whaa??y is antec 650w cheaper than corsair 550w???Is there difference in quality or something??Or is it less efficient?how is it inferior to corsair 550w one?
And what makes you think if a PSU cheaper then their Corsair counterpart that should be inferior from it. Actually Antec or any other worthy PSU's are not under priced for there quilty or performance issues it is Corsair products which are overpriced for no reseon but just becouse of its distributer in India have monopely with it.In international market Corsair products are very competitively priced. So one should use Corsair's PSU's performance stats as benchmark not there prices.

Last edited:

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
oh thanks for the reply...was wondering all along about the huge price difference....Thanks for clarifying it...i do make frequent changes in my comp...so this seems to make more sense..thank you so much man... :)

Ankit

Journeyman
Now Corsair and Antec prices seems to be comparable. Antec EA380 is priced at 3100 and EA430 at 3350/-. Comparable model Corsair cx400 is priced at 3000/-.The only winner winner Antec has in terms of price point is EA-650 priced around 4850/-. Source lynx india website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom