Which PSU should I buy ???....

Status
Not open for further replies.

surinder

Tech addict
As one can see my current configuration in my signature and I'm with cabinet bundled scrap up till now I think my luck can run out any time so its time to change PSU to a better one.

First of all I'm looking to keep my upcoming PSU at least for five years and my budget is 5K max. So it should be that powerful and reliable to not worry about upgrading PSU at least whenever I upgrade my rig's other specs (almost once a year) like in six to eight months time line I'm going to have Intel i7,ATI 4870 or Nvidia GTX 280 kind of stuff.

Here are my personal favorites :-

(corsair VX 550) I think it is most reliable of the lot but cost most as well.

(CM real power pro 550) good value for money there but don't now about its reputation.

(Antec EA 500)good value for money there but don't now about its reputation as well.

(antec EA 650) if I should go for that much power at least and very good value for money there but don't now about its reputation.

So please help me to choose the right one and if the best one is not in my list please suggest your favorite under 5K just keep in mind cheapest the best meeting my requirements.

Last edited:

Arnab boss

In the zone
Corsair vx 550 is a good choice for this,but I have a friend who is using zebronics 700 w platinum series psu for his rig with gts 260 card and it is running well. He bought it @3100k with 3 yrs warranty ,so not bad at this price.where the cm 600 w cost @3700, so u can think about it also...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Dude, u r going to keep the PSU for the next five years. U want to upgrade to i7, GTX280, ATI 4870 and down the line u may also upgrade ur LCD (24" or 30" who knows)

And, u r betting on 550Watt only? At least take 750 to 1000Watt PSU.

toofan

Technomancer
Just Think of 6 months ahead. And with new technology the power consumption is decreasing. So it would be better to invest on 550 to 650 W max. What the use of 1000 if you never gona use that for next 1-3 years and after that the price and the technology might change.

So think of present.

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
Dude, u r going to keep the PSU for the next five years. U want to upgrade to i7, GTX280, ATI 4870 and down the line u may also upgrade ur LCD (24" or 30" who knows)

And, u r betting on 550Watt only? At least take 750 to 1000Watt PSU.

Well dude I understand your point but first of all I don't think a good PSU of that much power is possible in my budget. Secondly I think my next upgrade can be very well covered by 500w to 600w good power supply and I think possessor & graphic cards manufacturers are now using performance per watt approach that why I shouldn't be buckled down by then with less power on PSU I hope.

And I don't power my LCD by PSU my UPS enabled inverter line take care of whole system. I haven't experienced even a single restart since I took this approach two years ago.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Just Think of 6 months ahead. And with new technology the power consumption is decreasing. So it would be better to invest on 550 to 650 W max. What the use of 1000 if you never gona use that for next 1-3 years and after that the price and the technology might change.

So think of present.

Totally agreed with you why to put 8 grands now if I can't use its potential in next thee years or so and I could be lucky enough with that much power if hardware manufacturer companies keep using performance per watt approach by then. After all 600 odd watts are not mare by any means in computing neither it is going to be I hope.

And at worse if I have to add watts any time in future which I don't hope so Buy a fresh PSU with latest technology,lesser price from now and fresh warranty of five years or so and sell old one with good resale value.

Last edited:

amitash

Intel OCer
in six to eight months time line I'm going to have Intel i7,ATI 4870 or Nvidia GTX 280 kind of stuff.

6-8months is a LOT of time... i7 will still be the best but gfx cards will keep changing...You have to let the new series release and decide then.

acewin

Point Blanc
LOL @rhitwick, most of the LCDs do not run on power from PSU but UPS, so not problem there.

vx550 al the way, you still will have good options of expansion, until and unless you decide to crossfire putting 2 gfx card, if you decide for crossfire you will certainly need higher PSU.
but VX550 costs around 6K and not 5K, so I doubt buying it
Because then you can go for Tagan 600W modular PSU. which is very good PSU

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Guys........I admit......I got jumbled up about LCD. Ab, mafi de do...*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/4.png

And, the OP wrote that he needs the PSU to last till 5yrs, and took for what he wrote, and advised about 750 to 1000Watt PSU.

Well, 1000Watt a bit too much, but 750Watt is too future secure (as he now says, he may buy a PSU later)...
In that case 650Watt would be right choice, as Core i7, GTX280 is not that power efficient.

paroh

Padawan
How much power suppy this computer required. I want to Buy new PSU so please Recommend me a PSU .

1) Processor core 2 duo 2.4ghz
2) Motherbord 945GCNL
3) Two usb port always in use
4) Two IDE hard disk (7200RPM)
5) Two sata hard disk (7200RPM)
6) ONE CD-RW and one DVD_writer (So total 2 optical drive)
7) Ram 2GB DDR 2 667MHZ)
8 IDE card

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Well, 1000Watt a bit too much, but 750Watt is too future secure (as he now says, he may buy a PSU later)...
Again- wrong way to buy a good psu. A good psu is typically conservatively rated and gives more power with same stability. Any el cheapo psu can label their substandard psu to 600w or 1kw pretty easily.
As for the OP, psu advice can be given according to the system so you need to make efforts from your end to mention your complete configuration. If you planning to buy i7 rig in the future- why not buy a good psu when you buy a rig and not now? What if a good psu will a really high efficiency on standard 50 degrees operational temps with really low ripple comes after 6-8 months.
As for paroh, even a corsair cx400 which costs 3.2k is enough even with some upgrades in the near future.

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan
corsair cx400 which costs 3.2k is very costly can u suggest me a little cheap PSU not more than Rs.1800

toofan

Technomancer
If you can borrow some money from you friend and invest on A Cooler Maser 500W. It will be best for ur usage and budget.:lol:

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
My pick would be corsair VX 550

Yes all of us knows its the best out there but it is getting beyond my budget a little. My confusion is can I get safe enough results from CM real power pro 550 or Antec-EA 650( few extra watts there)as specs are very good there and still save few bucks from VX 550 as in many posts I learn they are getting a huge premium for its popularity.

Or corsair VX 550 worth the premium and I should stretch my budget and stick with it if so please clarify the differences and advantages over above mentioned models.

I'm looking for in side stuff kind of replies specially from (The Sorcerer).

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Based on surinder's signature
C2D E7300, ASUS P5KPL-CM, 2GB DDR2, PALIT 4850 512 DDR3, CREATIVE X-FI XTREME GAMER,WD 640GB X2 HDDs, LOGITECH Z5500, BENQ T2200HD
Vx450 is enough- even with moderate overclocks. If by any chance you are planning to go for something with 2 6 pin pcie graphic card in the future, vx550 or coolermaster real power 550w/antec EA 650w.

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
Based on surinder's signature

Vx450 is enough- even with moderate overclocks. If by any chance you are planning to go for something with 2 6 pin pcie graphic card in the future, vx550 or coolermaster real power 550w/antec EA 650w.
So you mean to say that I can easily save few bucks with CM real power 550w or even better antec EA 650w with few extra watts which can make me more future proof (but only three years warranty with this one) with no major issues there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom