Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
  1. Mandriva
  2. OpenSuSE
  3. Freespire
  4. Ubuntu
  5. Kubuntu
(if this list is not good, suggest something else:D)

these OS are suggested by "Linux Distribution Chooser"

got that link from here - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
thanks @FilledVoid

i want it to be a bit easy on newbie:))
Main Purpose = Internet surfing.

------------------------------------
i'll be installing one on this PC-
m/b = Intel 965WH with integrated gfx. - gma x3000
1GB RAM, c2d e4500, 80GB HDD, NEC DVD Writer
XP SP3 & Vista SP1 installed.;)
using DataOne BB with UTStarcom WA3002-g4 modem

btw, can you guys suggest a linux os for this laptop-
Compaq m2000
intel celeron m370 1.5GHz, 256MB RAM,
m/b = intel i855GM with igp gma extreme gfx. 2
purpose = online surfing

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
^On a 256 MB Ram Laptop????

Personally I'd go for Ubuntu or Mint for the desktop . For the Laptop I would use something small and easy . I think Zenwalk or DreamLinux should be fine? I haven't used either so someone is going to have to confirm that .

Is that router a USB one or Lan port one. Configuring a USB one is going to be a pain in the rear.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I was talking abt 1GB wala Lappytoppy :p

for 256 MB try KDE mod on Arch (but before that you have to pass average linux IQ test)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
  1. Mandriva
  2. OpenSuSE
  3. Freespire
  4. Ubuntu
  5. Kubuntu
(if this list is not good, suggest something else:D)

these OS are suggested by "Linux Distribution Chooser"

got that link from here - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
thanks @FilledVoid

i want it to be a bit easy on newbie:))
Main Purpose = Internet surfing.

------------------------------------
i'll be installing one on this PC-
m/b = Intel 965WH with integrated gfx. - gma x3000
1GB RAM, c2d e4500, 80GB HDD, NEC DVD Writer
XP SP3 & Vista SP1 installed.;)
using DataOne BB with UTStarcom WA3002-g4 modem

btw, can you guys suggest a linux os for this laptop-
Compaq m2000
intel celeron m370 1.5GHz, 256MB RAM,
m/b = intel i855GM with igp gma extreme gfx. 2
purpose = online surfing

Desktop -> Latest version of Linux Mint ( = Ubuntu + extras out of the box)

Laptop -> Xubuntu/Zenwalk

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Recommended is to go for mandriva on the desktop and zenwalk on the lappy. But going by ubuntu on desktop and xubuntu on laptop, you can share a lot of applications between them. Thus, reducing the amount of data to be downloaded.

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
thanks guys.

i'll try mandriva & ubuntu.(desktop)

btw, a newbie question:)) - do mandriva & ubuntu share same file system for partition? (or all distro do)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
ext3, xfs, jfs, reiserfs etc are some filesystem you can format where u install it.

though select ext3 as filesystem, its stable and feature rich.

there is lot to learn while having fun !

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
And as a recommendation if you are going to install any I recommend creating a /home partition also. It makes distro hopping quite easier.

Rahim

Married!
I would rather install Linux Mint than Ubuntu for the simple reason Mint is Ubuntu plus you have all the non-oss appz already installed in Mint (flash,java, audio/video codecs) and create a separate /home partition as Filledvoid suggested.

AS for the lappy, Zenwalk would be fine

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Zenwalk would be best for the laptop.
Nitish is using it on P-III 1GHz with 256 Megs of RAM and according to him , its flying on it.

Lowest I've personally gone with Zenwalk is a Cel-1.2Ghz with 256 Megs of RAM.
Disabling unwanted services and dri , i had enough free RAM to do most day-to-day stuff.

praka123

left this forum longback
celeron pc ,you would like to use antixmepis.
*antix.mepis.org -> for the ease of package management too(debian).

^On a 256 MB Ram Laptop????

Personally I'd go for Ubuntu or Mint for the desktop . For the Laptop I would use something small and easy . I think Zenwalk or DreamLinux should be fine? I haven't used either so someone is going to have to confirm that .

Is that router a USB one or Lan port one. Configuring a USB one is going to be a pain in the rear.
DreamLinux ? I remember hearing about it somewhere... Isn't it something based on Sid along with Xfce ?
for 256 MB try KDE mod on Arch (but before that you have to pass average linux IQ test)
Not just IQ test, you also need to read up lots and lots of theory and know the meaning of several words.
btw, a newbie question:)) - do mandriva & ubuntu share same file system for partition? (or all distro do)
No. You can share a /home partition but not a / partition.
ext3, xfs, jfs, reiserfs etc are some filesystem you can format where u install it.

though select ext3 as filesystem, its stable and feature rich.

there is lot to learn while having fun !
I recommend ext3 as the best default FS if you are a newbie and don't know what to choose. By a miracle I too chose that the first time I was prompted to select an FS from ubuntu 7.04 installer. No idea why, but I have no regrets :D
And as a recommendation if you are going to install any I recommend creating a /home partition also. It makes distro hopping quite easier.
+1
You should ask a performance seeking distro hopper like me that question. Its damn awssome to have a seperate /home partition, but for best security, its very much recommended to use only ext3 on it because its a dual journal FS.
Zenwalk would be best for the laptop.
Nitish is using it on P-III 1GHz with 256 Megs of RAM and according to him , its flying on it.

Lowest I've personally gone with Zenwalk is a Cel-1.2Ghz with 256 Megs of RAM.
Disabling unwanted services and dri , i had enough free RAM to do most day-to-day stuff.
Is it because of Slackware or because of Xfce ? And should I try Xfce on arch ?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Mint gets another vote,but you might wanna check if your graphics aren't blacklisted,if they are you will have use generic drivers which don't exactly suck,but no compiz-fusion or any 3dish game...

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Big no to VESA>> Its just to slow and will provide slide like performance while using FF.. You can use Mandriva, DreamLinux and Ubuntu :)

A big no to F9 :p Though SUSE 11.0 can be considered :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom