Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D.O.S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashis

In the zone
The TUX is dowin Great as far as big corporate & concern !
Win XP is cool too.
But I vote for Linux. I use Fedora Core 1. :p

pr@k@sh

Journeyman
I Think Which OS is Best is Depand upou ur requreMnet....!!

What u want..??

Which Hardware U Have...??
Good Look and feel ..!!
Security..!!!
Stable ..!!
Reliable..!!
Networking...???

and so many thing v have to consider..!!

and Then v have to select which os is BEST..!!

hafees

In the zone
if you've <256 MB RAM, then dont go for XP.

if u've 512 MB or more RAM & PIV or Athlon XP processor then Windows XP is recommended.

also u can try Linux with the latest version of KDE.(very resource hungry). Great to work with the all new KDE. (it is definitely more good looking than XP)

sms_solver

In the zone
Best OS depends on your hardware

I have used DOS, Win3.1, Win95, Win98, WinMe, WinXP, WinXP sp1..

Through my experience I have realized that, the choice for the OS must be made according to your hardware!

MS OS, and latest tends to be huge (1+ GB). So this is my suggestion

below 486 -- DOS,Win3.1
486, Pentium -- Win95
Pentium I-II -- Win98
Pentium III -- Win98,Win2000,WinXP
Pentium IV -- WinXP

medpal

Medic on Call!!
GNUrag said:
Guyz, I vote for the GNU/Linux operating system.... at least that way i can say, i have a legal computer with legal sotwares installed at my home.

Honestly, how many of you guys have a licenced version of win98/XP ??? i'm not talking about OEM version since it comes preinstalled...

i think if you are including DOS then you should also include BSD operating system also... remember, its the Berkeley guys that wrote the original protocol stacks for tcp/ip and other network stacks...

Not a long while ago, Micro$oft's Hotmail Servers used to run on BSD Unix only... and their DNS servers still run a program called bind on BSD unix

well gnurag i am the one who spent 4100/- rs. well before 18 months to purchase an operating system for my pc and thats win xp. i do not know is there any totally free linux versions. if you talk about mandrake, redhat and like that.

there are really very few linux distros which are totally free and fully legal and carries with it a full set of applications to use it.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Re: Best OS depends on your hardware

sms_solver said:
I have used DOS, Win3.1, Win95, Win98, WinMe, WinXP, WinXP sp1..
And i have used Red-Hat 1 , Red-Hat 2 , Red-Hat 3 , Red-Hat 4 , Red-Hat 5 , Red-Hat 6 , Red-Hat 7 , Red-Hat 8 , Red-Hat 9

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
GNUrag said:
And i have used Red-Hat 1 , Red-Hat 2 , Red-Hat 3 , Red-Hat 4 , Red-Hat 5 , Red-Hat 6 , Red-Hat 7 , Red-Hat 8 , Red-Hat 9
:lol: d00d, how many hats do u have ? Try a different colored hat for a change :lol:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
medpal said:
well gnurag i am the one who spent 4100/- rs. well before 18 months to purchase an operating system for my pc and thats win xp. i do not know is there any totally free linux versions. if you talk about mandrake, redhat and like that.
You can opt in for Free (Beer) Linux distros if you dont want support. I also dont buy any distros, I get it from IIT - Bombay

medpal said:
there are really very few linux distros which are totally free and fully legal and carries with it a full set of applications to use it.
I agree, not all distros contain completely free/libre softwares.... But you'll be better off with a debian box in that case ...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Kl@w-24 said:
:lol: d00d, how many hats do u have ? Try a different colored hat for a change :lol:
as you can see from my avatar, I'm completely bald... i desparately need a hat...

allajunaki

Journeyman
Well as im learning more about Linux, I'm wondering How M$ became paid in the first place, Would u pay 35Lakhs for M800 esp when you can get an E-Class for the same place?.
Linux maynot be spit polished like windows, but its mighty powerful.
Comparing Windows and Linux is like comparing VW Beatle and Ferrari (minus the cost factor), while a VW Beatle is cute ,Comfy and forgiving, ferrari is a brute, strong and powerfull can put u on a highway to hell if cant tame the beast.
Similar analogy in Linux is Fast, But not is raw bootup time. Just yesterday i used piped Commands to extract the IP address alone from one ifconfig tool which shows all the details about youe Network connections
can you do this in XP,NT,98,95,3.1,DOS ?
Code:
 ifconfig ppp$net |grep "inet" | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f3 | cut -d ":" -f2
though it looks long, its really easy. it look me hardly 3 Mins to make this chain of commands.
Also the Batch files in M$ Soft is a poor cousin of Linux Scripting.
can any M$ OS write a batch file like this
Code:
echo "Abi's gateway system"

`ip route delete default`
#while [ 1 -eq 1 ]
#do
	cmd="ip route append scope global "
	for ((net=0;net<=10;net=net+1))
	do

if [ `ifconfig ppp$net | wc -l` -lt 1 ]
		then
			echo "ppp$net is not connected"
		else 
			if [ `ip route | grep "dev ppp$net " | wc -l` -eq 1 ]
			then
				z=`ifconfig ppp$net |grep "inet" | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f3 | cut -d ":" -f2`
				cmd=$cmd"nexthop via $z dev ppp$net weight 1 "
				echo "ppp$net is added to router"

fi
		fi

done
	`$cmd`
	echo "Updated"
#	tp=`date | tr -s " " | cut -d " " f4 | cut -d ":" -f3`
#	tp=$((tp + 30))
#	if [ tp -gt 60 ]
#	then
#		tp=$(( tp-60 ))
#	fi
#	while [ $(( tp + 30 )) -gt `date | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f4 | cut -d ":" -f3` ]
#	do
#	echo $tp	
#	done		

#done
U can see that u can use if, for while loop constructs.
This script took me some 30 Mins to construct.
U wanna know what that 20 lines do? It simply sees which of the 11 Dial ups are active (i can have 11 Dialups active simultaneously) and distribute the NET traffic through those conncetions. Now to do a similar task in XP requires me to have a Proxy Server(midpoint) and then Pay up, or Uninstall-Reinstall every 20 Days as that resets the 21-Day Trial (Software has no crack). In Linux 2hrs of R&D 30 mins of scripting and another 1 hrs of polishing the script, i made my own gateway

As u can see Linux is not as easy as Windows, but once u make 10% of the learning curve u begin to realise the power of Linux. Dude i have seen people do real whacky stuff in linux like using print spooler to Queue Mp3's to play like playlist and stuff.

the point is while Windows is for people who use VCR just to play VHS tapes. Linux is for people who use their VCR to Schedule the recordings of TV serials so that they can come back home and watch @ their convenience. that is people who can go thru initial learning curve of programing a VCR and then reap the full benifits of VCR.

But this situation has also change, Many Distros like Red Hat, and Particularly SUSE has become very easy to use. I was surprised by the Polished Interface and GUI of Linux Fedora Core 1 .

quad master

In the zone
I prefer "Windows XP Professional Edition"
For its Huge Software support and Excellent Stability it has.
I hate Windows for the Amount of Viruses that are released for it.

Red Hat 9 Linux Might be a Second Choice for me
Linux because it is really comming up like anything.
Less viruses.
Stability is also good but not much userfriendly this is where it lacks.
More softwares are command line.
Excellent Networking.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
How many people on this planet are involved in writing Batch file....??? :lol: Bet there are 1000 people more who are happing playing Doom 3 than write batch file... ...
See Windows sells like Maruti 800 not because it costs like ferrari but besically its so damn easy to learn to ride it...After all what use is An Apache helicoptor even if its free if one doesnt know how to drive it..!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom