Which Multimedia Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
Hi all..

I Tried to make Vista as my primary OS on a single go and as some of u may have known it was not a smooth sail...

So i decided to create 2 more 25 Gb partitions and install XP and a Linux

SO which Linux to use.

I want

1. the best UI
2. Loads of video and audio player options..features..codec packed...
3. Internet Browing should work with cable modems or BSNL
4. Development ofcourse VC++, C#.net..if possible
5. should work with my canon ip1000 printer and if possible my bluetooth dongle which is a widcomm software having broadcom chip.

so reply ASAP please.

If anyone can provide the discs i will be happy very much.

Jerin

According to distro watch the most popular multimedia distro's are;
(note: this is list of popularity on distrowatch and is not nessesarily a measure of it's quality)

1. GeeXboX
2. MoviX
3. dyne:bolic
4. AGNULA
5. Mediainlinux

is it true? are these still active projects? good enuff? bug free??

Last edited:
Are you new to Linux? (just asking, I'm just 2 months old BTW)
If so, try Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. You can install required codecs and freeware (oops..meant OSS :D) to make enable multimedia. That's what I'm doing now.
If not, then give dyne:bolic a go; it came on a digit CD last year and I liked it :) (a live CD)
However, I'm not sure whether it is will suit all purposes other than Multimedia (seeing that you have programming also in mind)
Ubuntu should suit all those listed needs perfectly. It detected my 200\- roadside bluetooth dongle :wink:, with the codecs installed I can play almost any file on the planet, and it even detected my ancient canon BJC printer (although I discarded it last month )

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
i been usinf linus from my 10th stds.. so my first foray was abt 8 years ago...it was Redhat...

so far i have use... knoppix...ubuntu..dyne:bolic..open suse..mandriva...abt that much..

but havent used one and lost touch with it for last2 years or so..so have no idea whats in and whats out..

i want it installed in my drive.. no live stuff for me...

Last edited:
OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
huh??? so i need to use net after i install my linux
i have no net at home..... any offline options...

i only have net at work...

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If you want a linux that plays multimedia files without any hassles you can go for Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. Refer the FAQ sticky in the Open Source subforum.

OP
m-jeri

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
OK folks.. just one.. which is best for all my needs... ubuntu or mandriva??????

Dont confuse him :???:
@IronManForever
Linux Mint is generally installed to revive old systems (Saying this after it revived my PIII System :wink: )
If his system config is not more than a year old, then Ubuntu is most recommended (as it's pretty nippy on new systems and can also give you good eye candy :D)
@madjeri
If you have no net at home, get OpenSUSE as it has the codecs pre-installed. Otherwise find a way to slipstream (i hope I'm using the right word) the codecs onto the Ubuntu disc

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
thewisecrab said:
Linux Mint is generally installed to revive old systems (Saying this after it revived my PIII System )
If his system config is not more than a year old, then Ubuntu is most recommended (as it's pretty nippy on new systems and can also give you good eye candy :D )
WHAT? Linux Mint for low-end? Common.. :p In my opinion, its one of the BEST multimedia oriented linux ... And hes not a NEW user.

Though, yeah, Ubuntu(or for that matter any renowed distro) is good provided you have a good internet access and Codecs at your disposal. I was just saving him the hassles of getting codecs installed for playing a mere mp3 file. :neutral:

What do you mean common? :confused:
It's a marvelous distro for which I give full marks for reviving my PIII machine :)
I'm saying that as I havent tried it on my new machine :p

sarincv

Journeyman
If you have no net at home, get OpenSUSE as it has the codecs pre-installed. Otherwise find a way to slipstream (i hope I'm using the right word) the codecs onto the Ubuntu disc

openSUSE 11 does not come with codecs pre installed due to licensing problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom