Which Linux???

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Suse is slow even on my AMD X2 4800 With 2GB RAM
Ubuntu is much faster.
because i have highly bloated install of SuSE.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Well, he meant old, mine's 3.5yrs old, and not of DUAL CORE era, so tht's y i asked.

BTW-
Any more portable Linuxes?

cool_boy4ua

Broken In
+10 for Mandriva 2009 final. I am using RC2 version its amazingly faster and stable with everything out of box.Installation took only 10min and easy like kids work.

Like running from USB
USB ? Any distro can be run via USB. I personally recommend ArchLinux with Xfce, LXDE and KDEmod if you want a nice and completely customisable USB based distro.
I run Slax on my Pen Drive and am quite happy with it.You may check out *www.pendrivelinux.com/ to see tuts on running "big" distros like Ubuntu from Pen drive.
Slax ? Unfortunately, since Slax and NimbleX are KDE 3.5.9 based, which is depriciated, they can have issues later.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
USB ? Any distro can be run via USB. I personally recommend ArchLinux with Xfce, LXDE and KDEmod if you want a nice and completely customisable USB based distro.

Slax ? Unfortunately, since Slax and NimbleX are KDE 3.5.9 based, which is depriciated, they can have issues later.
Never heard of any issues with them before. :|

j_h

Banned
What is the configuration of the PC you plan to run this distro on ?
Whats the level of experience you have in using linux ?
What are the exact uses of this distro ?
How would you be obtaining the distro ?
Would you download it at home or via some friend ?

If you want a one solution fits all possible situation type distro, I suggest you get Debian Stable three DVDs collection along with an apt-on-cd containing debian multimedia repositories. Such a set would enable you to install and use virtually ANY software without ever accessing the internet again after installing the OS once.

If you are an average windows user and you want some distro which is easy to use, based on a popular platform, has a high level of eye-candy and is bundled with the software the average person usually uses, like office suite, games, multimedia apps, etc, I suggest you get Ubuntu Ultimate 1.9 DVD.

If you want a solution which has the essentials of software for everything, a high amount of non-intrusive and eye friendly eye-candy and if you plan to later use the distro as a mainstream OS, and if you want ease of migration from microsoft platform, I recommend you to get Linux Mint 5 R1 Elyssa.

If all you want to be able to do is play some media files on an old PC, I suggest you get SliTaz, a lightweight OS which has MPlayer and hence plays all media files (however, you need to get extra 12.8MB zipfile with w32codecs if you want to play real media, vp7 and quicktime).

If you want a distro with exactly those software that you choose, I suggest you go to NimbleX's website and create your own live CD by choosing the software you need. It shouldn't exceed 700MB, and the download link expires in 12 hours.

+1

Do you know that KDE 4.1 upgrade would be nearly ~400MB ?
I doubt some people here would be prepared for that, after being stingy about space in the pen drive.
Imagine taking a 1GB pendrive, installing NimleX (which occupies 700MB) and then trying to upgrade it and end up with a no disc space error :p:D

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Yeh... Newer versions of Puppy Linux are damn cool. :)
And runs like breeze on CD / USB. < 50MB memory usage. :)

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
I installed opensuse 11 but its not detecting my card....so i'm going to try mandriva spring 2008(KDE 3.5) today....

KDE 4.1 DVD is available with LFY sept edition....

Once i install Mandriva, will I be able to upgrade KDE using this cd????

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
I installed opensuse 11 but its not detecting my card....so i'm going to try mandriva spring 2008(KDE 3.5) today....

KDE 4.1 DVD is available with LFY sept edition....

Once i install Mandriva, will I be able to upgrade KDE using this cd????
No you won't be.Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE 4.1 is already out now.You can try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom