Which Linux???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarincv

Journeyman
Which Linux comes with packages for playing almost all type of media files???

I mean I dont want to download them after I install it.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Ultimate Edition ;) !!
Am not sure. But i think so. OpenSuse 11.0 Comes with codecs installed. It also has lots of packages in the DVD itself. Lots to choose from.

Check it out.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
A good number of distros come with codecs installed.
For Beginners , Mint or openSUSE or Mandriva should be good .

sganesh

Journeyman
Mandriva ftw :p Also they are going to release their newer version on 9th of this month :)
Mandriva Truely rocks,It can play all audio files such as mp3,mp4 as well as VIdeo files like .VOB,3GP..But u ve to install VLC player which is present inbuilt in mandriva 4GB iso!!There is no doubt !!
Use Mandriva 2008 or Spring,

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the configuration of the PC you plan to run this distro on ?
Whats the level of experience you have in using linux ?
What are the exact uses of this distro ?
How would you be obtaining the distro ?
Would you download it at home or via some friend ?

If you want a one solution fits all possible situation type distro, I suggest you get Debian Stable three DVDs collection along with an apt-on-cd containing debian multimedia repositories. Such a set would enable you to install and use virtually ANY software without ever accessing the internet again after installing the OS once.

If you are an average windows user and you want some distro which is easy to use, based on a popular platform, has a high level of eye-candy and is bundled with the software the average person usually uses, like office suite, games, multimedia apps, etc, I suggest you get Ubuntu Ultimate 1.9 DVD.

If you want a solution which has the essentials of software for everything, a high amount of non-intrusive and eye friendly eye-candy and if you plan to later use the distro as a mainstream OS, and if you want ease of migration from microsoft platform, I recommend you to get Linux Mint 5 R1 Elyssa.

If all you want to be able to do is play some media files on an old PC, I suggest you get SliTaz, a lightweight OS which has MPlayer and hence plays all media files (however, you need to get extra 12.8MB zipfile with w32codecs if you want to play real media, vp7 and quicktime).

If you want a distro with exactly those software that you choose, I suggest you go to NimbleX's website and create your own live CD by choosing the software you need. It shouldn't exceed 700MB, and the download link expires in 12 hours.

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
Mandriva Truely rocks,It can play all audio files such as mp3,mp4 as well as VIdeo files like .VOB,3GP..But u ve to install VLC player which is present inbuilt in mandriva 4GB iso!!There is no doubt !!
Use Mandriva 2008 or Spring,

Where do we get this Mandriva 4GB iso. I think its not available for download.

sganesh

Journeyman
Actullay,Last year, i got Mandriva 2008 4GB iso from a famous linux magazine,Now only i saw in mandriva site that they stopped giving free Full pack Linux of 4GB containing all necessary packages,U ve pay for it,
U better search for Mandriva 2008 in some Torrent site!!!
To know more
*www.mandriva.com/enterprise/en/company/press/new-2008-mandriva-flash-4gb-released-today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom