which linux to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I saw your threads and I understood you were new to forums, which is why I did not say anything about it. Once you get more experienced, you'll come to know more about how forums work.

But I do have a problem with your attitude. You have been very rude to tech_your_future in the other thread you started and in this one too. And you have been rude intentionally. And now you are being rude to me for no reason. I would say the mods are being very lenient on you. Try saying those lines to someone like FatBeing.

And BTW, I am no expert at Linux. But I do have some decency and I know how to ask questions.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
slash_89 said:
enough of this fight dude,

and since im new here i didnt know u moved my earlier post to the OPEN Source section(my bad), so i reposted in the softwares section,

all this hatred just bcos i started another thread on the same topic, sheesh.

and u just shut the hell up, its people like u who who should be banned,

im new to linux, i just start a thread for ppl to help me select a linux distribution and everyone from the mods to cheapskates like aryayush start bombarding me,

@aryayush
u may be an expert in linux, i dont giva a damn, i just need my queries clarified, so if u can only be rude and cant help out, its best u keep ur comments to urself.
aryayush is right, I am being too lenient. This is your last warning. Once more you're rude to anyone, I will ban you permanently.

OP
S

slash_89

aryayush said:
I saw your threads and I understood you were new to forums, which is why I did not say anything about it. Once you get more experienced, you'll come to know more about how forums work.

But I do have a problem with your attitude. You have been very rude to tech_your_future in the other thread you started and in this one too. And you have been rude intentionally. And now you are being rude to me for no reason. I would say the mods are being very lenient on you. Try saying those lines to someone like FatBeing.

And BTW, I am no expert at Linux. But I do have some decency and I know how to ask questions.

ur the one who is rude, tellin the mod to ban me for no reason
the arguement was between me and the mod, why the hell should u interfere?
me and tech_your_future will sort out the issue,
and my apologies to tech_your_future, bcos i was rude to him for no reason, i didnt didnt know that he had moved my post to 'open source'
@ aryayush
why do u want me banned?
i was rude to the mod, i agree but i wasnt rude to u?
ur comments forced me to be rude.
i wasnt rude to u, but after ur post i was pissed off by ur attitude.

dreamzchm

Web Design Hobbyist
Go for mandriva linux.it sports out of the box multimedia support and all the essential productivity suites are also there to boost your work.

OP
S

slash_89

vignesh said:
slash_89 , Did you get your answer to your question which distro to install ?

thanks for ur concern buddy,
i dont know whether to go for ubuntu or mandriva.

OP
S

slash_89

@Desi-Tek.com

hows its GUI?
now confusion between red hat, mandriva,ubuntu.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
*images.google.co.in/images?hl=en&q=rhel&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

but look and feel is very much same in all distro! only theme could be different

Possible

Custom User Title
Just go for Ubuntu man... GUI is the same in all, after all its all based on either Gnome and KDE and that's what which depends. Just get Ubuntu and tweak it up with whatever software and look you need. Red Hat Enterprise is for Workstations and Servers.

Sigh, these confusions, just try some distro and be done with it! Its ALL THE SAME for god's sake.

faraaz

Evil Genius
PC Linux OS 2007 (TR4) is coming out in like a week...the dude who is publishing the distro is sick, otherwise it would have been out by now. Pick that up. Its the one I'm getting and I'm a M$ user shifting to Linux with a dual-boot system for the first time myself!!

PCLinuxOS supports multimedia playback out of the box and is widely known to support the widest range of hardware there is. It is also one of the few distros to support ATI video cards right out of the box which is good news for me and my ATI Radeon X1600.

It also comes with the Synaptic download system to get new apps, bundles the OpenOffice suite, flash plugins, latest version of the Linux 2.6 kernel as well as KDE v3.5...basically, its everything a newbie to Linux would need as well as enough to keep an advanced user happy. AND ITS FREE!

Get the Big Daddy version and you have yourself the most trouble free out of the box Linux experience!

vish786

"The Gentleman"
for movies and looks go for mandriva

for programming sort of things = fedora(dont go for red hat)

to handle things easily like net connection = ubuntu

for live cd = knoppix is the best

u can also try opensuse and debian.

want something advance then go for solaris. :cool:

but.... all the linux flavours look like bhai - bhai.... all r almost same except for names. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
OK now let me tell you one thing. There's nothing like crippleware in linux, as in windows. All the types of linux are the same except the way how installing, updating and removing package is done. This is what differenciates a beginner level distro from a more difficult distro.
Then other thing that distinguishes between newbie friendly and difficult is amount of tools provided for configuring.
Distros like Mandriva and Suse insist on doing everything via GUI and overwrite anything done via CLI. This is great for new users but pisses off experienced users who are used to using command line and hand editing the files.
Others like ubuntu and fedora provide GUI as well as CLI tools.
Debian and such provide mostly CLI tools only, very few GUI ones.
Ones like gentoo use do it yourself approach where full control as to what to do is in the hands of users. So, there's greater control in hands of users but it makes things difficult for new users.
There are others like slackware which hardly provide any tools everything is to be managed by editing files and such. It makes a lot of sense for power users and those well versed with the OS.

praka123

left this forum longback
RHEL 5! why someone new to Linux get such a distro for use with N00B's.It's like suggesting a newbie Windows user to use windows server +IIS and ask him to enjoy working!/
@slash_89:
You got the correct distro.
go for Ubuntu Feisty or Debian Sid.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
GNOME is much better.not that much confusion regarding the menus settings etc,did i say kde a little bloated:D.but if ur new to Linux and coming from windows world to world without windows,initially try using kde and gnome,afterwards settle with GNOME;a pure fsf product.So Anytime prefer Ubuntu over Kubuntu.

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well here for me KUbuntu Fiesty is a hell lot better than Ubuntu .
that's coz kde copies somewhere windows xp ui?Windows users find it easy with Kde.but mind it,GNOME is way simpler with no messy menus and controls to do with.the point is while moving to Linux,u may need to unlearn manythings from Windows,esp if u r a windows power user-geek.
below link will be much useful for newbie Linux movers from Windows world.
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Last edited:

sandeep_arsenal

Broken In
@freebird - ur rite. Gnome uses lesser system resources as compared to Kde too.

@slash_89- try Slax Killbill Live cd . u wont hav to play aroun with ur hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom