which linux to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
praka123 said:
i am in the assumption that kde works better and much more integrated with kwin unlike GNOME way- if u want more effects get another compositing window manager instead of default metacity.anyway's nice info.
...and those are the thoughts of most of the non-KDE users. They presume that just because KDE integrates all of its components in such a tight way, that it would be difficult to use third party applications but it is just not true. KDE provides a very well integrated desktop environment for new users but it also has all the freedom for power users to tweak it the way they want :)

praka123

left this forum longback
As with apps Kde seems integrated with qt libs.
atleast gtk apps looks messy in kde,but u cant say the other way round.:eek:

eddie

El mooooo
praka123 said:
As with apps Kde seems integrated with qt libs.
So what is wrong with that? GNOME apps are integrated with GTK and KDE apps are integrated with Qt. That is the expected behaviour :confused:
atleast gtk apps looks messy in kde,but u cant say the other way round.:eek:
lol!
You wouldn't be calling these beauties messy...now would you?
*img475.imageshack.us/img475/6029/snapshotuo9.th.png

If you couldn't recognise the programs...they are Inkscape, GIMP, Pidgin and efax-gtk. All of the apps are GTK based with no dependency on Qt. Now, you tell me they look messy :D

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Kde apps works good in GNOME;while gtk apps looks weird in kde;i have this experiance.I dont know how u got this working @eddie.
instead of installing GNOME and kde in a single system
rather dual boot a gnome and kde distro for DE reviewers:eek:

btw u can rollup windows option in GNOME
System>preferences>Windows>title roll up
but i feel bad as kde users asking for more configurability in GNOME.GNOME
likes to be simple.
I Love GNOME for its simplicity,no more looong options for each and every right click...that's my POV.:)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
freebird said:
Kde apps works good in GNOME;while gtk apps looks weird in kde;i have this experiance.

now wouldn't that be the error on part on the GNOME developers that hey haven't programmed their libraries to be compatible with ny other desktop environment ?

freebird said:
btw u can rollup windows option in GNOME
System>preferences>Windows>title roll up
but i feel bad as kde users asking for more configurability in GNOME.GNOME
likes to be simple.
I Love GNOME for its simplicity,no more looong options for each and every right click...that's my POV.:)

well heck yes , in KDE u don't need to right click , title bar rollup is as simple as middle click , also in GNOME u have to Right Click->then select roll up , isn't that un-simple .

also in KDE(on KUbuntu) right click menu has exactly 4 options , now u wouldn't call that long eh :cool:

eddie

El mooooo
freebird said:
Kde apps works good in GNOME;while gtk apps looks weird in kde;i have this experiance.I dont know how u got this working @eddie.
...because you didn't give KDE an honest try. mehul has already given you the solution to how I did it...it is gtk-engine-qt working there.
instead of installing GNOME and kde in a single system
rather dual boot a gnome and kde distro for DE reviewers:eek:
But I am not a reviewer and like to use some GTK apps on KDE. I have disabled GNOME completely using the USE flags provided by Gentoo but I have no problem in getting the GTK apps working in a great way..the way I want. KDE is not coming in my way at all and is not effecting my experience either.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well gnome uses less system resources but the reason i use KDE is that it has a lotta advanced features which r missing in Gnome(by default) :
1. One-click shading of a window(middle click by default)
2. enabling num-lock when logging in to kde
3. window cascading and uncluttering options
4. do u need more , i can type a whole list ....:rolleyes:

yes i agree kde has more options than gnome...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom