Which LINUX should I use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
As GNUrag said Mark has already mentioned that from draper drake onwards Ubuntu will have graphical installer.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

Do u knw any Linus OS (full version) being given by Digit (if any) on its CD/DVD in the past 1 year or so ?? :? As i would prefer it to install the OS from the CD/DVD rather than d/loading (if Digit has given it on such media) as im a total newbie to this so i wana try Linux as my 2nd OS (I hv WIN XP+SP2 as my only OS)... So help me guys....

Cheers n e-peace....

kato

Karthiksn
The installation note is very comprehensive and good i also have the video but it kind of gets stuck as its being run on VMware i guess. But is there such comprehensive notes for ubuntu too.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@Satissh S and @kato were those replies for me?? :? Neways i wanaa ask u guys tat in the Jan2K6 issue of Digit DVD, i hv got Kubuntu 5.10 (approx. 650MB) so this is also a Linux OS s/ware Rite?? :? Please enlighten me as to how is this Kubuntu different from FC4 (is it smoot,fast and much more user friendly) ???

Yup, I was able to find the Fedora Core 4 In the August 2K5 DVD,I will read the installation link provided by u. :) THe FC4 in the Digit DVD is in WinRAR format, so will i hv to unpack the 4 CDs or how?? :? ( i wanna make an iso image for it)..

BTW (as for my knowledge) wat are the different versions of Linux available till date (like we hv Win XP, ME, 2000, Vista etc...)

Cheers n e-peace....

kato

Karthiksn
Linux is not version based i suppose its like many people have different distros so they are different versions.
About Kubuntu its the same as Ubuntu but with KDE and some other differences. Its also easy to install i suppose it also has the Graphical Installer (not sure though).And i guess Fedora Core 4 provided in DIgit DVD is in ISO format correct me if wrong but Winrar can open ISO images. You can check if its ISO or not by making the extension unhidden to see the extension of the file.

Okay Guys is installing from Fedora Core 4 DVD anyway different from CD and also there will be no problem right coz i am downloading the FC4 DVD

OP
nach p

nach p

Journeyman
FC5 Test 3 is released(Beta) .
Which can be a final release of it :?:
Is it advisable to use such beta version (FC5 Test 3) in Linux :?:
All RPMs for FC4 will be compatible for FC5 or require new RPMs :?:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thanx for ur reply Kato :)

1.) I unRARed the FC4 (from the Digit Aug 2K5 DVD) and made iso images (total of 4 iso images corresp. to 4 CD packs of FC4 given by Digit in its DVD) of it and saved it onto my Desktop. Now i guess i will hv to burn these iso images onto CDs and boot from the CD itself Am i right ??? :?

2.) Will this FC4 have a GUI while installing Linux/booting from the CD (the same graphics interface we get while installing WIN XP)??

3.) Wat do people mean wen they mention the word Distro??

4.)What s/ware shud i be using (similar to MS office) in Linux? Will the Windows version of Office work on Linux or will i hv an inbuilt Office tools (like Word etc.) wen i install FC4 ?

I used the test to see wich Linux is suitable for me (as a newbie) from this sites: www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ and *eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html and The results told me to use Mandrake and ARK resp. So, will installing FC4 a good step for me? :?
===============================================
I knw guys..these are a lot of querries but since i am a complete Novice to Linux thats y askin all u experts here abt it. :):) I hv heard a lot abt Linux so jus wanted to giv it a try as i already hv WIN XP+SP2 as my OS.

Cheers n e-peace.....

Satissh S

Youngling
@ashu:
1. You've gotta burn these in 4 empty/blank cd's and boot using the first cd. Press [Enter] when it boots up.
2. Yes FC4 has a GUI installer utility named anaconda, which installs it.
3. Distro means a GNU\Linux distribution, a combination of linux kernel and GNU utilities.
4.You will have OpenOffice.Org in linux, a replacement to MS-Office. If you wish however you can run MS-Office using wine, a MS-Windows Emulator for linux (Wine Is Not an Emulator).
Regardless of the test results, You can install FC4., it'l be a good learning experience.
Istall it and post any queries/questions/problems in the Opensource section.
Goodluck!

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Satissh S

Thanx alot bro,yup i will install FC4 as mentioned by u and post my experience with it as i go along using it :) Thanx again... :):)

BTW, will Openoffice.org be in built and installed by itself as i install Fc4 or will i hv to install it separately (like we do for MS Office)?
If NO then, Can u (and other guys) tell me me wen and approx. in wich issue of Digit CD/DVD this openoffice was given for FC 4??

Cheers n e-peace.....

Satissh S

Youngling
OpenOffice is a Office program part of FC4, You can install it while installing Fedora Core 4 automatically.
Fedora also has Gimp, a comprehensive pixel based graphics application, gaim, Xchat, Firefox, thunderbird, evolution (a replacement of outlook) and epiphany (a GNoME based web browser) and the balsa (a mail client) .
It also has GNOME, KDE Desktop environments.
If you are in programming notable mentions are anjuta, eclipse, gambas, Glade and qt linguist IDE's and the GNU compiler collection.
It also has a oss implementation of java and also the GTK and qt toolkit.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
One last querry Satissh S,

I hv 3 drives (all FAT32) and the Drives are: C (Win XP Pro Installed), E (containing games) and G (s/wares of Win XP Pro and misellaneous).

So if i wana install FC4 in G: will i face any problem like complications of Linux with Win XP files (even thou the G: contains s/wares for Win XP Pro) ?? Or shud i empty the G: drive of all its contents and Install ONLY FC 4 on it? Or wat?? :? :? As i dnt want that my Win XP files bring about any complications with the Linus OS that i will be installing on any of the drives (Except for C: ) Please explain... :? (in detail if u can).

I hv a 160 GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA HDD and there are more than 20 GB of free space available on all the 3 drives (C, E and G).

Cheers n e-peace.....

mehulved

You will need to remove everything from G drive as linux cannot boot from FAT 32 file system. So, you will need to move contents of G drive to soemwhere else and format G drive to whatever linux filesystem you want to use eg ext3, reiserfs, jfs, xfs, etc.

startmenu

Broken In
ashu , i am using fc4 quite recently iand will tell in simple approach . go to computer mamagement , delete the drive u wish to use for linux, it should be shown as free space green coloured . Then pop the cds and boot from them. Press Enter while asked for graphical install . Select correct language , keyboard and other options. When provided with
different types of install choose "custom install" as it will give u maximum freedom. Use automatic partition , check "remove all linux partitions" or "use existing free space". Beware , here dont select "delete all partitons" as it will eat your xp .
Or else if u choose custom partition with disk druid then in next box , click on free space , click new and create a /boot partition of 100 MB , all the file systems should be ext3 , click on rest free space , click new and create a swap partition , allocating double capacity of your RAM . If your ram is 256 MB then allocate the swap file system 512 MB . Then use the rest free space to create a / partition which is your root partition .
Next select the default boot OS , edit the names if u like . Chech Advanced boot options and let the boot loader reside in MBR . Next thing is to select the packages and then sit back and enjoy !! Ask for more . Will be delited to help.

mehulved

You don't need to select ext3 as your filesystem only. There are other options too like reiserfs, xfs, jfs. Ext3fs is most recommended one as it is supposed to be like a default filesystem and all available kernels today support whereas some older kernels still in use don't support other filesystems. But, if you're using FC4 you needn't worry about the type of filesystem supported. I'am using all types of filesystems on my computer at the moment and have never had any problems.

Satissh S

Youngling
If you want to use reiserfs however append the following when boot menu apperars,
linux selinux=0 reiserfs [ENTER]

kato

Karthiksn
Dudes can you tell me a bit about swap and where should i create it, why should i create it, and is there any probs if i dont create it

naveenchandran

In the zone
Yes kato swap, if created will improve the performance.. it is always better to create a swap...

There is absolutely no proble if you dont create a swap.. But I think there will be a performance drop....

While creating the partition itself create some space for the swap... also make sure the swap size is greater that your RAM Size..

also check out *linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie4_2_13.htm
:)

kato

Karthiksn
Okay thanks naveen now i think that means it wont be a seprate partition but it is a file on the new partition for windows so now there is any difference between DVD of FC4 and CDs i mean on installation part as i am downloading the DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom