Which LINUX should I use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
nach p

nach p

Journeyman
Hello guys ,

First of all I want to thank u all of u for replies and to Satissh S for giving link for FC4 installation notes.

After reading above replies ,I think I will go for FC4. I would also like to try other distributons.
After installing FC4 I will reply.Hey but my freind is giving latest version of SuomiKnoppix.What is opinion about this distros.

Since to download FC4 I will require some 4/5 days.
So I will try that SuomiKnoppix before .

Regards
nach p

eddie

El mooooo
tech_your_future said:
Yeah well that has crossed my mind but my biggest problem is setting up my printer under all distros of linux.
No printer on Linux? Now that is real PITA. Did you try visiting *www.linuxprinting.org/ to see how well supported your printer is? If you started any previous thread on forums about this problem then can you link me to it?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
eddie I didn't post it here on the forums but I searched it in linuxprinting.org, posted it on ILUG-BOM and on linuxquestions.org but still no solution. Well I guess I will try again since I got a reason to print or else post it out here.

Satissh S

Youngling
We actually have a sticky here,
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11012
ie [README]These topics have been covered.
There the first is, "Which is the best linux distro?" :roll:
May be we should maintain a FAQ section, categorised so as to help the newcomers, like the gentoo forums..

praka123

left this forum longback
Well.I jus found a test that will find for U the distribution U need for your x86 Computers.velow is the link:
*eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html

praka123

left this forum longback
That was cool link Naveenchandra..I tried and for both of the test end result was Debian and second Ubuntu for me.Kubuntu's got a slight mention down on the list..Nice One

mehulved

I got slackware and Gentoo at zegenie studios and at ur link prakash I got Gentoo and LFS(I cheated a bit there as the quiz was a bit obvious). BTW, I have seen the zegeniestuio link before maybe in the forum, not sure though, nonetheless I find it very good one.

OP
nach p

nach p

Journeyman
I tried both links .voidofmind gave result Ubuntu as first &then Ark or Vector......... & at Zegenious studio Suse Then Mandriva.
Yet I had not able to boot from Ubuntu & knoppix live cd .While loading ubuntu ,at the last step i.e "Gnome display manager"it shows "Out of range " message .If there is problem with onboard display it have to be a same with windows xp sp2but it is working well.There may be a problem of hardware detection.
Wht can be a solution?
Nach p

OP
nach p

nach p

Journeyman
My Config:
Intel Pentium 3-1GHz , Socket -PGA 370, External Clock-133 MHZ.
ASUS SIS630 series mobo,Asus CUSC ASPI BIOS.
256 SD Ram ,Sony dvd r/w ,Smps -Bestec 120,Samsung 80gb HDD.
(I think 8mb onboard Graphics Card).I took pc in 2001.
Nach p

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
This is what i got..
We found these matches, sorted by how well they match:

Ubuntu

( *www.ubuntulinux.org/ ) Failed these criteria:

# Does not have a graphical installer
Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. Ubuntu includes more than 1,000 pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel version 2.6 and Gnome 2.10, and covering every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access applications, web server software, email software, programming languages and tools and of course several games.

Debian
Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. Debian GNU/Linux provides more than a pure OS: it comes with over 15490 packages, precompiled software bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine.

Visit Debian at: *www.debian.org/ Failed these criteria:

Kubuntu
Kubuntu is a user friendly operating system based on KDE, the K Desktop Environment. With a predictable 6 month release cycle and part of the Ubuntu project, Kubuntu is the GNU/Linux distribution for everyone.

Visit Kubuntu at: *www.kubuntu.org/ Failed these criteria:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
vignesh said:
Ubuntu
( *www.ubuntulinux.org/ ) Failed these criteria:

Starting from Dapper Drake release, Ubuntu has a GUI installer with it.
And IMHO, text mode installer is faster and isnt too complicated to understand. Also it works on systems in which graphics card isnt detected.

mehulved

Even without graphical installer, installation of Ubuntu is easy enough. But, GUI will be good for noobs.

eddie

El mooooo
Graphical Installers give a sense of comfort to n00bs. Even distros like Gentoo are putting in serious efforts to develop a graphical installer. If ubuntu develops one...it will be a nice addition to this already good distro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom