Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

MasterMinds

hell boy
thanks gautham.i need to trouble u guys....
so which software to use for transcoding to mkv...like i would like to fit 700mb dvd rip to a mkv 400mb or less with minimal drop in quality

thanks gautham.i need to trouble u guys....
so which software to use for transcoding to mkv...like i would like to fit 700mb dvd rip to a mkv 400mb or less with minimal drop in quality
mkv is not a format, its a container.
converting 700mb rips to 400mb ? depends on the codec.
what format is the video and audio in the 700mb file ?

And for direct ripping from DVD, I think HandBrake is a good bet.

haider_up32

Broken In
H.264 is the best codec ..........mp4 is a good container for that...just use nero recode for ripping....n73 and newer nseries plays h.264 or use coreavc........in 700mb you can get dvdquality +5.1 sound

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
i need to add my first pass as well as nth pass to job list in Vdub.currently i do run video analyses pass for the 1st pass and then add the avi in the job list for the nth pass

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
need new poll

wait a sec isnt H264 aka AVC is the best codec available? y isnt that on poll list?
ya actually this thread was written 4years ago.. a lot has changed since then,
this a very informative post indeed, so mod should restart the poll, bcoz hardly anyone use Divx now, i see XviD, H264 more among rippers. :!:

lalam

In the zone
Oh wow wow i'm a fan of this post. I really wanted to know more about this codec stuff and all and i just previously uninstalled K-Lite mega codec pack to make way for AC3 and X264 sigh there are better ones as mentioned on this post. Will surely try out the suggestion on this post.
Thanks a lot for the post.

NoCashBob

Right off the assembly line
I'm sick to death of On2's codecs. They kill any chance of fullscreen on any notebooks with a gpu than can't hardware decode.
Streaming DivX with a flash front-end.. More bandwidth, less CPU for mobile users wit business notebooks.

Top Bottom