Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

jay4u

In the zone
nothing beats rmvb..... REAL MEDIA VARIABLE BITRATE CODEC for smaller res movies.... but for higher res movies definitely go for xVID or WMV.....

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@dipen
In AGK, you can target File size & set it to 5MB for a 2 minute video, and keep a fixed width of 384(VCD Standard) & let it choose its own audio or choose VBR mp3 @ 64/96kbps.........additionally you can access hidden settings by pressing Ctrl+F9...Frankly speaking, for transcoding, video captured via TV tuner, use VirtualDub MPEG2 with VP70 & DivX WMA V2

@slugger
Th reason why u remove the black bars: when u have black bars, it creates a high contrast region between the black & picture areas wher ul end up wasting bits.....if u remove it, the bits will be used more effectively in the picture frame only........the final filesize discrepency is not due to the filter u selected but due to incosistensies in the codec, as u r using one pass...

@runeet
There is a solution.....to have good quality @ high res u will have to use a powerful codec like VP70 @ at least 500-1000kbps in Virtual Dub.......in the video filters use, "presise bicubic A=1" in the resize filter.........if u wanna increase the resolution to a very high one, u will have to do the entire encoding 2 or three times.......
eg. 160x120 -> 384x288 -> 640x480. If u directly do, 160x120 to 640x480, it will give u really bad results......

Last edited:

parthbarot

In the zone
Xvid is the best ASP codec...Gives maximum qulaity in low bitrates also...

i have compressed 5 to 8 full movies with it...and also compared the results with DivX one...Found Xvid better...

and for more comparisions... goto www.doom9.org
u will find Xvid the best one in ASP codec..
In AVC codecs, x264 of VLC is best..www.videolan.org

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
netgautam said:
dix is da best as it gets integrated with most of the media players.

:confused: What do mean.........it gets integrated with most media players..........a codec has nothing to do with getting integrated with any media player................Codecs are installed in Windows\System32 & use Direct Show "quartz.dll" to get rendered onto your screen............

All VFW codecs integrate with all players..............And DivX is just famous because of its name & cos it was the first MPEG4 Derivative which was good............

Today DivX is worse than XviD, H264, Real, Quicktime, VP62 & VP70!

And for low bitrates DivX sux...........nothing can beat VP70 for low bitrates..........for high bitrates above 1K, even the original MS MPEG 4 V3 is good enuf for resolutions upto 640x480!

See This:

*www.on2.com/technology/on2-difference

parthbarot

In the zone
Indyan said:
I agree. vp7 rockz.
Only thing is that it is damn slow.

i also agree but x264 AVC codec is better then vp7...as it is fast also anf gives max quality at lowest bitrate..i hace tested it on my PC...found it good..
so we can use xvid/x264 for encoding movies...

rohitm_001

Broken In
From where do we get the VCD Gear and COmbiMovie softwares that have been suggested for converting .dat files?

What ratio of compressed file to new file can be achieved?

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Id suggest....do not use CombiMovie.......it results in A/V Sync issues in some cases.....

Just encode the MPG Files seperately & then merger them using virtualDUb by setting Video & Audio = Direct Stream Copy, & File -> Merge AVI Segment

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
maverickrohan said:
@runeet
There is a solution.....to have good quality @ high res u will have to use a powerful codec like VP70 @ at least 500-1000kbps in Virtual Dub.......in the video filters use, "presise bicubic A=1" in the resize filter.........if u wanna increase the resolution to a very high one, u will have to do the entire encoding 2 or three times.......
eg. 160x120 -> 384x288 -> 640x480. If u directly do, 160x120 to 640x480, it will give u really bad results......
So u are sayin we can actually have good quality high resolution out of low resolution.(i doubt that)
but generally the bitrate is low .. how can u improve that.

2. whats the best way to remove the black bars

3. Can u give me a easy user guide to virtualdub

4. Here is the Gspot screeni of the Dvd rip I have ..
*img122.imageshack.us/img122/1141/dfsdaf7qm.th.jpg

It doesnt play in WMP,
and VLC plays it .. quality is good .. but doesnt ffd the movie properly!

raymar2k

Right off the assembly line
thank you for a very informative start to a new thread. i learnt lots of new stuff reading through your post.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
fishy screenshot.........

What is FFmpeg 0.4.9?
What did u use to rip?
Why is it showing the Bitrate as 2?
And Quality Factor as 0?

Post one more screenshot after clicking on MS A/V button on the bottom left..

Ur screenshot shows that there is something wrong with the codec installation on ur machine........it plays on VLC as VLC uses inbuilt codecs.......where as WMP uses codecs installed in ur System32 folder.........

just try n uninstall all codecs from ur machine.....then only install.......K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.......!!!

Then take the screenshot of G-Spot after clicking on the MS A/V button!!!

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
#1 DVD Ripper does detect the codec but it has some problem.......infact I used to use it for VP7 but the newer versions have some bug.......all the other On2 codecs work fine with #1 DVD ripper including VP3 & VP6

Use Magic DVD Ripper...u can google it and download it.....as most of the DVD rippers out there it is similar in functionality to #1DVD ripper...it has no issues at all with VP7!

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
as i keep sayin...i have tried most codec packs.........they aren't well built n stable(they screw up ur syetem)........K-Lite Mega is is the most optimally complete & stable codec pack.......just do a custom installation without ffdshow n add DivX Audio & all the On2 codecs.......its theeeee Best.......I cudnt live without it ;)

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
well now....the audio problem has got nothing to do with the video codec...its a problem of the software.........

just try any other ripper...or try to get ur hand on an old copy od #1DVD ripper or try Super DVD Ripper

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
noise reduction is only to be used incase the viseo is not clear or has artifacts....example...video captured via TV tuner......it overlaps few frames n smudges the noise....

so if ur video is clear, dont use it...itl look weird......because movement will get obscured......

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Sorry dude .. for late reply I got busy .. n after this update here.. reply notification was off.

maverickrohan said:
fishy screenshot.........

What is FFmpeg 0.4.9?
What did u use to rip?
And Quality Factor as 0?

Post one more screenshot after clicking on MS A/V button on the bottom left..

Ur screenshot shows that there is something wrong with the codec installation on ur machine........it plays on VLC as VLC uses inbuilt codecs.......where as WMP uses codecs installed in ur System32 folder.........

just try n uninstall all codecs from ur machine.....then only install.......K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.......!!!

Then take the screenshot of G-Spot after clicking on the MS A/V button!!!
What is FFmpeg 0.4.9?
.. I dont know yaar
What did u use to rip?
.. downloaded :p
.. Thats the first thing that I noticed in it. thats the prob

-After reading ur thread .. How can I hav two codec pack .. I do hav only one K-lite-Mega-Codec-Pack-1.52

*img268.imageshack.us/img268/2357/bb29wi.th.jpg

Top Bottom