Which is the best video codec out there?

The Best Codec According to me is:

• Total voters

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
@maverickrohan,
Hi dude.. hows is it going ..
I have these queries if u cant explain to me..

1. Why H.264 is getting so popular these days.. every ripper using it. well almost

2. What software do I use to create sample out of avi file, and which software can add or join two more videos files into one?

3. What is mkv container.. I see it used for all the HD content these days at Vuze and other places.. and I cannot edit it using most of the sofwares wh so? even recoding is limited! strange..

4. inside the mkv HD Videos it is H.264 codec.. (with acc mp4 for audio i think) but why it is not editable and even the GSpot info tool doesnt read it?? why?

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
sorry for being late

1.h.264 has been the best codec(after VP7) for a very long time now.its just that the rippers now realize that the best quality /size ratio can be obtained by using h.264 only.also a lot of market dvd players earlier had support for divx/xvid(mpeg4) only but nowadays u get h.264 players too which is also a standard for all bluray/HD movies

2.use virtualdub to import the file and then use "HOME" and "END" keys to select the sample and then just save it as an avi without any processing(direct stream copy)

3.mkv containers allows many different audio/video/subtitle files to be simultaneously present in it.also it has better support for most codecs and overall is a perfect container.u can use it to hide ur personal stuff too :p

4.to edit the contents of a .mkv container u need to have a mkv demuxer(just google for it) and then use mkvgui to mux the edited files again :)

himanshupt

Right off the assembly line
Nice work......Really appreciate that........

Though I didnt found here......But I really love the KLC Codec for myself.......
For playing normal videos....Using Media Player Classic or KMPlayer......On windows 7 x64 Which I am using right now...........

And for Playing Blue Ray media....Media Player Classic - HomeCinema,.........Is my personal favourite.....

Regards.........

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
@maverickrohan,
Hi dude.. hows is it going ..
I have these queries if u cant explain to me..

1. Why H.264 is getting so popular these days.. every ripper using it. well almost

2. What software do I use to create sample out of avi file, and which software can add or join two more videos files into one?

3. What is mkv container.. I see it used for all the HD content these days at Vuze and other places.. and I cannot edit it using most of the sofwares wh so? even recoding is limited! strange..

4. inside the mkv HD Videos it is H.264 codec.. (with acc mp4 for audio i think) but why it is not editable and even the GSpot info tool doesnt read it?? why?

1. Cos MPEG has officially accepted it as MPEG4 Part 10 ... it is used for encoding Bluray and HDTV. It is a part of Flash Video player, many online HD delivery systems relying on Flash use it.

2. For the AVI container you can use VirtualDub. MKV, you could use VirtualDub Mod.

3. MKV rippers usually use Handbrake (it does with x264, what AutoGK did with XviD) ... create a easy to use GUI with Auto Cropping, etc.

4. Gspot & Info Tool Do provide proper info about MKV & MP4 containing H264 & AAC.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Which Nvidia codecs are best for 64 Bit Xp.

*www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.02-223-trial.html

Last edited:
OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
yup ... finally done with my MBA ... graduated in August 2009, convocation in December 2009. Currently working for P&F USA in Alpharetta, GA; we are the guys who make Philips HD products in North America.

FYI ... if anyone's curious:

HDTV | Bluray & DVD | Home Theater

rohanmathew

Reader of Trust 2009
Features of H.264

H.264/AVC/MPEG-4 Part 10 contains a number of new features that allow it to compress video much more effectively than older standards and to provide more flexibility for application to a wide variety of network environments. In particular, some such key features include:

Multi-picture inter-picture prediction
Variable block-size motion compensation
Six-tap filtering for derivation of half-pel luma sample predictions, for sharper subpixel motion-compensation
Quarter-pixel precision for motion compensation, enabling precise description of the displacements of moving areas
A secondary Hadamard transform performed on "DC" coefficients of the primary spatial transform applied to chroma DC coefficients (and also luma in one special case) to obtain even more compression in smooth regions.
A quantization design
An in-loop deblocking filter which helps prevent the blocking artifacts common to other DCT-based image compression techniques

visit wikipedia for technical details of the above features mentioned.

What is mkv container?

Whenever you play a movie it includes at least one video stream and one audio stream. Since its not practicle to have 2 files to play Audio/Video, you pack both into a single file by using a so-called container format file. This container and the software coming with it take care of a lot of important functions, like the correct timing of the audio and video playback when the file is played ( opened ). ZIP or RAR could be a perfect container to pack one or more audio/video streams together into one single file for distribution, but WinZIP certainly wouldnt care about the correct timing of the these streams on playback ... Known containers are the good old AVI, or the MPEG container ( .mpg , .mpeg ), Quicktime ( .mov ), Realmedia ( .rm ), MP4 ( .mp4 ), etc.

How to create Matroska files ?

A: The easiest way would be to 'transmux' an existing AVI or OGM file. This is a lossless process, all the audio and video data in the source file will be read from it, and packed into a matroska file in a spec compliant way, but basically stay unaltered to avoid any degradation of quality. There are currently 2 different tools to do this ( look here for the announcement of their latest versions ), but the list is ( hopefully ) steadily growing. In VirtuldubMod ( starting from 1.5.1.1a ) all you have to do is to open your AVI or OGM file, set 'video' to 'direct stream copy', goto 'file' 'save as ...' and select '.mkv' from the file type dropdown list and rename it. Of course, this doesnt make much sense if you dont have any plans to add something to the file that AVI or OGM cannot support, like adding another audio track in an unsupported audio compression format.

inside the mkv HD Videos it is H.264 codec.. (with acc mp4 for audio i think) but why it is not editable and even the GSpot info tool doesnt read it?? why

try for mediainfo which is better than gspot and VirtualDubMod for editing.

All the above information are based on reference.I will check them and update the information.

Last edited:

Gauravs90

geek........
Thanks

pls kindly answer my questions

what's the difference between h264 and h264avc?

Nero also encode in h264avc and acc, it uses mp4 container. Is mkv is better container?

Which is the best codec till date for video compression?

rohanmathew

Reader of Trust 2009

i didnt find any difference of the two.
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is a standard for video compression. The final drafting work on the first version of the standard was completed in May 2003.
H.264/AVC is the latest block-oriented motion-compensation-based codec standard developed by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) together with the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG), and it was the product of a partnership effort known as the Joint Video Team (JVT). The ITU-T H.264 standard and the ISO/IEC MPEG-4 AVC standard (formally, ISO/IEC 14496-10 - MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding) are jointly maintained so that they have identical technical content. H.264 is most popular for its use on Blu-ray Disc, HD DVD and videos from the iTunes Store.

Nero also encode in h264avc and acc, it uses mp4 container. Is mkv is better container?

The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file.[1] It is intended to serve as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows. Matroska is similar in concept to other containers like AVI, MP4 or ASF, but is entirely open in specification, with implementations consisting mostly of open source software. Matroska file types are .MKV for video (with subtitles and audio), .MKA for audio-only files and .MKS for subtitles only.

Which is the best codec till date for video compression

x264 with AAC in MP4 or MKV container to be best for compression

------------------------------------------------------------------
This is based on reference .Free feel to comment

Gauravs90

geek........
Thanks for the hard work. I'Ve learned a lot.

I have heard that x264 is open source.Is that right?

Is x264 is better than h264/MPEG4 part 10/avc? Please confirm once again

thanks once again for your efforts.

rohanmathew

Reader of Trust 2009
Yes
x264 is a free software library for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format. It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.The code is developed by Laurent Aimar, Loren Merritt, Jason Garrett-Glaser, Eric Petit (OS X), Min Chen (vfw/asm), Justin Clay (vfw), Måns Rullgård, David Jallow, Radek Czyz, Christian Heine (asm), Alex Izvorski, and Alex Wright.

?
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC is a standard for video compression.x264 is a free software library for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format.They are not compareable.So hope u get the difference.

Last edited:

Gauravs90

geek........
Thanks

i got the difference about the codecs and their implimentations.

I'm just wondering which implimentation is best for h264.
nero digital, x264 or apple quicktimeh264.

rohanmathew

Reader of Trust 2009
Nero digital is quality wise and speed wise (in some cases) better than x.264 but you're forced to use the Nero Recode GUI.
Subtitles are stored as vobsubs and chapters in a proprietary format.
You can always extract the video and audio streams and remux everything in a more standardized way.
That's the only (big) limitation of Nero Digital.
On the other side x.264 is the opposite. You can use it from VirtualDub(mod) or thru mencoder and it even has it's own CLI, so it can be supported by everything on earth... but it's still in heavy development and lacks some codec features you can find in nerodigital.
apple quicktimeh264 comes in third place.

OP
maverickrohan

maverickrohan

SABER RIDER
Thanks

pls kindly answer my questions

Which is the best codec till date for video compression?

H264 & H264AVC are identical technically:

• H264 is nomenclature used by ITU-T
  • MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC is nomenclature used by ISO MPEG

MKV is open source and hence is more commonly used. Same reason why XviD is more common compared to DivX for codecs.

Best codecs right now:
1. VP8 (you can't test it unfortunately)
2. VP7 & H264
3. VP6
4. DivX & XviD

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Thanks for the hard work. I'Ve learned a lot.

thanks once again for your efforts.

H264 is a set of standards. x264 is just an open source encoder which encodes video using those standards.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Thanks

i got the difference about the codecs and their implimentations.

I'm just wondering which implimentation is best for h264.
nero digital, x264 or apple quicktimeh264.

It depends on the settings you use for the encoder and decoder. You won't observe many differences using similar settings for all three.

Gauravs90

geek........
Thanks to you too.

Why can't i test vp8? Is it restricted?

If i can't experiment with vp8 can you tell me how much better compression does it give in comparison with h264.

Top Bottom