Which is the Best External Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbohaj

Broken In
Hello everyone.

I want to buy a External hard disk. My budget is around Rs. 2,000/- TO 2,500/-. Please refer the latest technology hard disk, which will not get obsolete for one, two years. Also please tell me hard disks = 200 to 250 GB Space, what ever the cost may be.

My system Configuration is: -

Intel Pentium D - 3.4 Ghz
2.5 GB RAM
Intel 946 GZ Express Chipset Family.
Microsoft windows Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2

VarDOS

15.0 GHz
i have WD 250....brought for 4.1k now the prices are down...u can easily get it @ 3.5k...
look wise and performance wise WD is the best...

but if u r handling is not good then u should go for T'cend HDD...its ""SHOCK PROOF""

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Hi thanks, all your views are helpful. But In view of higher cost of External HDD. I think I should go for Internal. Do you know the followings: -

1) Is it Fine to unplug d connectors of Internal HDD, when not in use??. Is it effect HDD life??

2) Whose Warranty is higher Internal or External?.
3) Which is latest SATA – I OR SATA – II?.
4) Does d IDE refers to ancient age HDD? (Lol)

5) Whose RPM r higher, Internal OR External?

6) Does d HDD’s come in different flavours according to their RPM's?

Does the high capacity HDD (250 or 320 HB) take much time to access data?. Is it require much RAM & advanced processor? See my processor configuration!

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) why do you want to unplug the connectors when not in use??
2) Western Digital Internal I think has 5yr warranty which is the highest
3) SATAII
4) NO. SATA II is also IDE.
5) Internal. of course
6) as of now, most of the internal come with 7200 rpm but if you can burn cash, you can get 10k or 15k rpm drives but they cost a bomb
7) nope. there is no relation between HDD size and speed. You do not require more RAM and high end processor.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
1) why do you want to unplug the connectors when not in use??
2) Western Digital Internal I think has 5yr warranty which is the highest
3) SATAII
4) NO. SATA II is also IDE.
5) Internal. of course
6) as of now, most of the internal come with 7200 rpm but if you can burn cash, you can get 10k or 15k rpm drives but they cost a bomb
7) nope. there is no relation between HDD size and speed. You do not require more RAM and high end processor.

Last edited:
OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
1) So that 2nd HDD can be connected. I know that Two HDD's can be connected at same time But please tell that Is it fine to unplug the HDD and leave it Idle for a long time???.

2) What is the price of Western digital Internal HDD. Also from which Web site Indian prices of all hardware can b seen (please give link)

I think that mother board is supporting 2nd HDD.

Because I am not a Hardware guy so I dont know Terms like Master, Slave, IDE Channels. So I wrote the following so that you can determine that whether mother board is supporting "TWO HDD at SAME TIME". Also which type of HDD is suitable for mother board: -

In the Device Manager it is Written under the Disk Drives Head: -

Disk Drives = ST3160211AS

IDE ATA/ ATAPI Controllers : -
Itel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
Itel(R) 82801GB/ GR/GH (ICH 7 Family) Serial ATA Storage - Controllers - 27C0
Primary IDE Channel
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

I think these last four IDE channel are vacant.

Thanks

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) you can keep HDD idle for years and nothing will happen.
2) what size and what is your budget?
3) The four IDE channel's there are for older PATA HDD's. look for sata ports (physically)

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Hi,
1) Are you sure that it is fine to leave the INTERNAL HDD for a long time?

2) I decide to buy Seagate Internal 320 GB HDD worth Rs. 2,375/-. "I see this HDD @ [*www.theitwares.com/hdd/hdd.htm]"

But what is the identification of this particular HDD, because in that web site, No Model No. is given. Do you know what is Model number of this particular HDD so that I can see its features on Seagate Web site.

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Hi, What is the identification of SATA-II Port. Please see the undernoted description of Motherboard and tell that whether TWO HDD can be connect at same time or not.

Mother board is: -

Manufacturer = Intel Corporation
Model = D946GZIS - AAD66165-302
Chipset = Intel - 946 PL/GZ

Also Where is the Model numbers can b seen for the HDD Listed here: -
*www.theitwares.com/hdd/hdd.htm

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ you can connect four SATA harddrives to that motherboard.
Posted again:
*www.intel.com/Assets/Image/prodlarge/d946gzis_lg.jpg
top left corner. The four rectangular blocks are sata ports (black in color)

Last edited:
OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Thanks for sending d interface of Mother board.

In our City, Western digital HDD's are easily available. But Warranty is depend on Direct Basis. It is also Entry Level HDD's.

But Seagate is rarely available. Vendors are charging "extra" for Seagate HDD's. I trust upon Seagate because I heard tis name from a long time. I decide to buy it. Which HDD you recommend??

1) But one thing confuse me that Whether d Barracuda is a trademark of Seagate or not??.

2) Also Please tell whether BOTH Seagate 320 GB HDD's are same or not?? (CLICK ON BOTH LINKS)

*www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2d1099f4fa74c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

*www.theitwares.com/hdd/hdd.htm

3) Also What is SATA 3.0Gb/s. (Is it exist on my Board??)

OP
J

jbohaj

Broken In
Answer please

I want to buy a Seagate Internal 320 GB HDD, With Buffer = higher than 8. But I dont know where to find its model number. Please tell where to see the model Numbers?

So that I can show the Model No. to the Hardware Vendor that I need this PARTICULAR HDD. D Hardware vendors told me that they will bring the 320 GB HDD but they said that they dont know about Buffer (Cache) size stuff etc and once they bring the HDD I must buy that HDD, either d Buffer size is low or higher.

The Western Digital 320 GB HDD come in only 2 MB Cache size, which is low.
Also Please tell that which is good HDD among WD and Seagate?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom