Which is the Best Desktop enhancement tool?

Which is the best Desktop enhancement tool?

• Style XP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Window Blinds

• Uxtheme Patcher / Shell Replacement

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hafees

In the zone
Hi!
There are lots of desktop enhancement tools available. Style XP, so many tools from stardock (window blinds, desktop x, object dock), talisman etc. Which one do you recommend? Which one is faster? Please discuss.

I have used window blinds and Style XP. and i think Style XP is faster than Window Blinds. But i havent tried Talisman.

Edited by drgrudge

Netjunkie

In the zone
One more to Style XP.

I feel it uses decent amount of memory while running in the background. Talisman is very heavy on memory.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I usually apply the theme by replacin the files needed to be, but STYLE XP is the best i've seen, but tis costly...

I wonder how many have it ?:twisted

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
For just replacing (or having new) Visual style, then I use uxtheme patcher from Neowin.

Get the same from here:
*www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707

See this as well:
*www.apurva.com/Articles/AGuidetoDesktopCustomization/tabid/64/Default.aspx

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Here u go...

"Talisman Desktop" (Talisman) is a desktop alternative and shell-replacement for Windows 9x/ME and NT/2000/XP, capable of transforming your desktop into an interface organized as you like. The program's basic purpose: Launch other applications in a new interface, instead of the standard Windows desktop. But the opportunities presented by "Talisman" are much broader. The program does not limit your computer fantasies - draw anything you like and arrange it as your imagination tells you to. When you get tired of looking at the same screen - change it all over again. If you are in a good mood - throw flowers and favorite photos on the screen. If you're not feeling so bright - leave the black screen with lonely Norton Commander or winking Bill Gates. Create invisible buttons - they will open those places and the pictures, known only to you. Construct galleries of the best pictures and photos. Simply create your own little world, created by and for you, instead of staring at the same lines of icons on your desktop, year after year.

With the help of "Talisman" you can create your own interface or use one of the hundreds ready themes that are available in our collections and in the internet. Interface (theme) is a set of screens, forms, "rooms" and objects. All these objects are interactive and respond to movements or clicks of the mouse.

The basic sphere of application of "Talisman" is the creation of custom-made interfaces for home and office computers. Talisman Desktop also allows to create:

Presentation interfaces for Exhibitions, Shows, Advertisement, etc. Example

Protected interfaces for Game Clubs, Information Kiosks, Museums, Libraries and other organizations. Examples

Protected interfaces for Hotels, Schools, Universities and other organizations where the limited set of accessible programs is necessary. Example

Children's interfaces. Examples

HTPC (Home Theater PC), Media Center interfaces. Example

Car PC interfaces (built-in car computers). Example

Desktop Panels. Desktop Panels covers only a part of desktop. They allow to add Talisman functionality to your standard Windows workspace. Examples

Tablet PC, touch-screen interfaces.

Interfaces for companies.

Other non-standard and protected interfaces for Windows-based computers.

Features:

Creating multilevel user defined fullscreen desktops

Creating Desktop Panels on Windows Desktop

Opportunity to replace the default shell of Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP explorer.exe with talisman.exe

Use of any number of pictures, buttons, obkects of any type or dimension, instead of standard icons.

Place, free-moving and imposing of objects in the Talisman workspace.

All objects can run external programs or internal shell commands or * URLs by one click of the mouse.

The number of forms (screens) in one theme is not limited. Any screen object can be set to switch from one form to another.

You can create a set of independent themes, and store them on any disk in the local computer or on a local area network.

You can easily switch between different themes through your own objects or through the Talisman menu.

The Built-in Object Editor allows the creation, modification and removal of any element in a theme.

Large number of basic elements (forms, pictures, shapes, buttons of different types, text blocks, inputboxes, calendars, clocks, timers, HTML-documents, Flash and VRML documents.

Customizable taskbar, system tray, clock.

Sound support for all events.

Startmenu, foldermenu, taskmenu, controlmenu, custom menu and other menu objects.

Script language.

Messages engine for communication with other programs.

Plugins.

HotKeys.

Keyboard control.

Protection and limited access functions.

System requirements:

Pentium-300 or better, 64Mb RAM or higher, video card with High Color (16bit) or True Color (24bit, 32bit) mode, Windows9x/ME, Windows NT4/2000, Windows XP.

Talisman works in all "old" Windows sytems including Windows95 and Windows NT4!

Supported languages:

English, German, French, Japanese, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese and other ...

Download new interfaces (themes):

Download new themes from our collection: *www.lighttek.com/themes

Share your interfaces(themes) with other people:

The Talisman II theme collections are located at: www.artuproar.com , www.skinz.org , www.skinbase.org, www.customize.org , www.deviantart.com , pcdesktops.emuunlim.com in the Talisman sections. In order to upload a Theme (interface), you will need to establish an account (it’s free). Then follow the instructions for uploading.

Updates

Updates to the newest versions of Talisman are free for registered users!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I don't like any desktop enhancement s/w.
I simply replace the uxtheme.dll file with the hacked one, which allows u to use un-official themes on XP.

OP
hafees

hafees

In the zone
I have installed Talisman now. The main advantage or probably disadvantage is that you can configure it (more accurately program it) to behave the way u want. Even simple themes comes with many enhancements than any other theme packs. But the problem is that you need to configure it to get the best from it. Therefore novice users may feel a little bit uncomfortable. Still it is highly recommended if you need some desktop enhancements rather than simple themes. It comes with different types of panels, clocks, calendars etc. You can use the built in commands to configre /add panels, clocks, calendars etc.
I am going to replace my shell with the all new Talisman 2.9.
I think Stardock's Desktop X is a similar tool. But didn't tried yet. (downloading now)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I don't like Talisman because It replaces the Default Context Menu on desktop with its own context menu.
Its very irritating!
Is there ne way to overrite its custom context menu with the default one?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yah!
There should be one more option for Shell Replacement (like Uxtheme Patcher)...

I'll definitely go for it.
Pls MODs add that option too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom