Which is better

smian

Right off the assembly line
well, I was looking for a 1 GB graphics card for the following configuration. pls advise (alongwith the price if possible)!

cpu - AMD Athlon 5200 XP (64 bit) AM2
MBoard - AMD-Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
Memory - DDR2 3 GB (800) (1 of 1Gb and another of 2 GB)
Hard Disk - 480 GB SATA
Graphics card - POV-512MB GF8600GT
Requirement - 1 GB graphics card

Also, is there any comparison between Nvidia 10 series and GT6400?
Also, any idea abt Nvidia GTX 212?

Sourav

Cilus

laborare est orare
What is GT 6400 or GT 212? GT 6400 is a very very old card and even EOL and and as per my knowledge there is no such card as GTX 212.

Mention your budget 1st and also let us know what PSU or SMPS you are having. Local Frontech, Intex SMPS can't handle a good Gfx card properly.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GT212 was a rumored 40nm ( 384SPs ) GPU by nvidia but it never released and Op may be talking about the rumored NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series OEM only Fermi gpus but still they are not available for sale or grab anyway hence there's no performance comparison ;-)

For the config OP have the most suitable gfx card would be HD6770 which is around ~7k but do answer the questions cilus has asked.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
While the 6770 is a good option, I'm not quite sure the Athlon X2 5200+ will be able to provide enough juice for it without bottlenecking (of course, it depends on the resolution you play at - please mention your monitor and screen resolution as well).

Without knowing the PSU unit, it is difficult to tell. But if I assume your 8600 card works just fine, I guess we can have a look at some cards with roughly similar power draws (note: haven't checked the exact values but I think these cards should be in the same range or just slightly higher than the 8600 GT).

So, on that basis we have the following options:

1) GeForce GT 430
2) Radeon HD 5570

Between these two the 5570 is an easy winner, comparable performance at the minimum, better in most cases, and lower power consumption than the GT 430 (it's almost on par with the 8600 GT, so you shouldn't have problems).

Any one of these cards will probably give you almost twice the performance.

For your CPU, if I remember correctly, the best GPU would be around 8800 GT/GTX levels of performance (otherwise, bottlenecking could occur and you will not be using the GPU fully). So, assuming you do have a good PSU, you can try for a GeForce GT 440 or Radeon HD 5670/6670. Performance wise, the 5670 has a consistent 10% lead over the GT 440.

While you can go for a more expensive and better GPU such as the 6770, it is my personal feeling that perhaps your CPU will limit the performance of any graphics card above the 5670/6670. Therefore, if you want to use higher end graphics cards, a CPU upgrade *may* be recommended.

Prices: HD 5570, GT 430 is available at ~3.5K or less, HD 5670/6670 at ~4.7K or less (GDDR5 version, don't get GDDR3 version), GT 440 at ~4.5K (some 2GB models available at this rate too).

OP
S

smian

sorry guys for late reply. I didnt get any updates in my mail that u ppl have replied here.

Anyways, as a result of enquiry I made here at a shop, the latest model available with them is Nvidia Geforce 10*** @ around Rs. 2400 and radion HD 5470 @ same price. So our budget is also around that only.

I am asking this query for a neighbour of mine who is doing an animation course and for which she requires an update of graphics card from 512 mb to 1 gb.

SMPS, I dont know how to check. Is there any way to check its specification in pc itself i.e without opening the CPU. Or otherwise since my existing card is working fine and as Accelerator said u can have a look at cards with similar power draws.

Another query - I have 2 DDR2 rams. I guess that doesnt mean it becomes DDR4?

Cilus

laborare est orare

What kind of question is that? I have two graphics card, 2 HD 6870 in crossfire, then it will not be (6870X2) = HD 13740.

OP
S

smian

ya i know it was a silly question but just thought of confirming.
Anyways, any advice on graphics card issue.

sukesh1090

Adam young
for psu you have to open your your cabinet and check.if it is a branded one then i guess it won't be having a good psu.for animation purpose you need a good configuration because it is resource hungry work.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Budget and Use of the Graphics Card in a bit detail please so that we can answer.

W/e card coming at 2400 today is only good enough for download rig.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
sorry guys for late reply. I didnt get any updates in my mail that u ppl have replied here.

Anyways, as a result of enquiry I made here at a shop, the latest model available with them is Nvidia Geforce 10*** @ around Rs. 2400 and radion HD 5470 @ same price. So our budget is also around that only.

I am asking this query for a neighbour of mine who is doing an animation course and for which she requires an update of graphics card from 512 mb to 1 gb.

SMPS, I dont know how to check. Is there any way to check its specification in pc itself i.e without opening the CPU. Or otherwise since my existing card is working fine and as Accelerator said u can have a look at cards with similar power draws.

if you are really serious about animation then I suggest you to increase the budget for the gfx card.

Top Bottom