Which is better OS? SuSE 9.1 or Fedora Core 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
from my experience with fc3, i've got one word that describes it - bloated. (if u have an average 256 mb ram 2 ghz proc)
damn its too slow and its a pain on the resources...especially when u r in KDE...and likewise in GNOME...it was a bit stable on XFCE, but XFCE didnt appeal to me too much...
my experience with fc3 was pretty bad...for some damn reason, i cudnt play mp3 while in kde, but cud do so in gnome, but everytime i restarted the pc and logged on in fc3, i cudnt play the mp3s again and i had to install the mp3 rpm again and again to play...i got the ntfs partitions mounted with the rpms from sourceforge, and got them to automount by modifying the fstab, but i cudnt automount the fat32 partitions...i had to mount them thru the terminal each and everytime i restarted...
so i got back to SuSE 9.1 pro. i'm saying this from the point of view of a novice home user....KDE is stable, there's less load on resources and performance is pretty smooth...and there's the support for mp3, videos play fine, fat and ntfs partitions can be mounted in no time...so, my preference for now is SuSE 9.1 pro.....dunno how SuSE 9.2 wud be like :-?

well this was performance on my pc - p4 2 ghz, i845 chipset 256 mb ram....maybe fc3 wud've been smooth if i had a better rig.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
tuxfan said:
As for Mandrake, it is based on RedHat. So I feel there will be many similarities if you go a level deep.
Mandrake was based on RedHat, but that was 4 years ago. Now they have done everything inhouse from scratch...

But I have taken your suggestion seriously and will surely try mandrake ;) I have 15GB space on my hard disk only for trying various distros :D I will remove Knoppix and put mandrake :)
I got a complimentary copy of SuSE 9.1 Professional DVD from Novell a week back... what say???
SuSE is the best eye-candy filled distribution IMHO. For others you have to install some themes/apps to make it look smooth...

RedHat/Fedora is a true bloat. But this cannot be a parameter to judge about PCQLinux .... Its an inhouse work and they have done a nice job indeed. PCQ Forums had a thread sometime back saying that they are thinking about migrating their base distributuion from RedHat to Debian...

The point about self help books being available for RedHat/Fedora is quite a vicious circle in itself... Authors write about the distro which is widely used, and people use the distro for which there is maximum amount of books available... :)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
sreevirus said:
my experience with fc3 was pretty bad...for some damn reason, i cudnt play mp3 while in kde, but cud do so in gnome, but everytime i restarted the pc and logged on in fc3, i cudnt play the mp3s again and i had to install the mp3 rpm again and again to play...
What exactly happened?? Possibly that could be an issue with your sound driver.. Did you have ALSA installed?

sreevirus said:
i got the ntfs partitions mounted with the rpms from sourceforge, and got them to automount by modifying the fstab, but i cudnt automount the fat32 partitions...i had to mount them thru the terminal each and everytime i restarted...
What did your fstab say? fat32 partitions should get automounted with no probs at all...

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
GNUrag said:
Possibly that could be an issue with your sound driver.. Did you have ALSA installed?
nah, it cant be that...ALSA was installed, soundcard detection was ok in GNOME, and i cud play ogg files...what bothers me is that why did i have to install the rpm again and again everytime i restarted. and why didnt any sound play in kde? soundcard detection failed in KDE. the window crashed and i had to force quit.
GNUrag said:
What did your fstab say?
the usual code.
added these lines to fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda1   /mnt/C:     vfat     defaults    0 0
/dev/hda5   /mnt/D:     ntfs     ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda6   /mnt/E:     ntfs     ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda7   /mnt/F:     vfat     defaults    0 0
/dev/hda8   /mnt/G:     vfat     defaults    0 0
and used this command to mount
Code:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/C: -t vfat
and i had to do this everytime.

and all this worked perfectly fine in suse...but this time, i didnt mount them in /mnt, but i created a directory /windows and mounted the partitions here and modified fstab appropriately...no problems faced.

anyway, i've got rid of fc3 now, it was a horrible experience...but if u have any solutions, pls post, might help others who may be facing similar problems.

tuxfan

Technomancer
GNUrag said:
I got a complimentary copy of SuSE 9.1 Professional DVD from Novell a week back... what say???
SuSE is the best eye-candy filled distribution IMHO. For others you have to install some themes/apps to make it look smooth...
I am ready. When are you coming? Sunday could be a good time, but Sat evening could be better because on Sun some restaurents around here are closed ;)

GNUrag said:
RedHat/Fedora is a true bloat. But this cannot be a parameter to judge about PCQLinux .... Its an inhouse work and they have done a nice job indeed. PCQ Forums had a thread sometime back saying that they are thinking about migrating their base distributuion from RedHat to Debian...
I agree. I am really happy with my PCQ installations. I am waiting for PCQ Linux 2005. Based on FC3, coming up in March 2005. They may shift to Debian for their next version. But this one will surely be on FC3

GNUrag said:
The point about self help books being available for RedHat/Fedora is quite a vicious circle in itself... Authors write about the distro which is widely used, and people use the distro for which there is maximum amount of books available... :)
I entirely agree. But then it always take a lot of effort to break out from vicious circles. Novell and Mandrake may have to take lead for the benefit of their distros. They will have to find out and fund authors and publishers to make books on SuSE and Mandrake available. However, when will we see a good book on Debian? GNUrag, why don't you start writing one? :)

demoninside said:
Dear Tux

I think u didn't notice I hv talked about FC3, not PCQ2004 coz i never tried it,

I think u all know linux, initiallise all software services at startup, it it's always heavy.
Dear Demon,

The way you've never tried PCQ Linux, I've never tried FC3. :) PCQ Linux is based on FC so I though all FC boxes will work like PCQ Linux boxes. But as GNUrag said, PCQ is not just forwarding the distro, but doing quite a bit of work on it. So lets not argue further. We both know only one side of the story. :D ;) BTW, go for PCQuest in March 2005.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Gentoo users look down upon the world.

Some Day All You Guys will "GROW UP" To use GENTOO. Its the best and the fastest distro till date.

H

h4ck3r

Many experienced users say suse9.1 and debian are very good distros.

Linux is open source!!!and it also needs command to remember,I too installed feodra3 from digit dvd,but telling you the truth,i am very lazy man,so I dont think Its my type!!!!so much to learn for like for playing mp3 you have xmms plugins,for players you should have real one
and to mount ntfs or fat drives!!
so better stick with your os which you"re using!!!

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
sreevirus said:
nah, it cant be that...ALSA was installed, soundcard detection was ok in GNOME, and i cud play ogg files...what bothers me is that why did i have to install the rpm again and again everytime i restarted. and why didnt any sound play in kde? soundcard detection failed in KDE. the window crashed and i had to force quit.
I dunno... might be an isolated case... I didn't face such wierd case yet..

sreevirus said:
the usual code.
added these lines to fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda1   /mnt/C:     vfat     defaults    0 0
/dev/hda5   /mnt/D:     ntfs     ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda6   /mnt/E:     ntfs     ro,defaults,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda7   /mnt/F:     vfat     defaults    0 0
/dev/hda8   /mnt/G:     vfat     defaults    0 0
This looks very okay... the defaults parameter takes care of automounting .... dunno why it didn't work for you..

demoninside

In the zone
Hey Tux buddy,

I never mean to argue about things that's why i said i hv never used PCQ,

and i wrote what i find is there so no ofence nd no hard feeling pls........

tuxfan

Technomancer
demoninside said:
so no ofence nd no hard feeling pls........

Of course not. No hard feelings :D

How can I ever get into a fight with someone who uses GNU/Linux? Remember, I am TUXFAN :lol: So all fellow tuxians are friends forever ;) :)

demoninside

In the zone
tuxfan said:
How can I ever get into a fight with someone who uses GNU/Linux? Remember, I am TUXFAN :lol: So all fellow tuxians are friends forever ;) :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :? :?
That's what i call a real cool person, I realy liked ur style buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom