Which is better OS? SuSE 9.1 or Fedora Core 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
I am currently using SuSE 9.1 PRO. As the Digit DVD carries Fedora core this month. I am thinking of changing my OS to Fedora Core 3. I have not yet tested Fedora Core. Plz post ur comments here. :p

G

Do it you would be surprised at the smoothness and ease of functionality.

cnukutti

Broken In
It is said that there is no need to goto the shell terminal in FC3 unless you want ot program ;-)
It is really easy to use. I am waiting for the Jan issue of Digit.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The terminal is a big part of the "Total linux experience" so not going into the terminal mode to do things will not give you a full feel of the OS. But yes FC3 is a highly smooth distro and all the routine tasks like wordprocessing office music etc can be envoked through the menu options. Good to start with but mark my words after a week or less you will be tempted to use the terminal mode to do things.

cnukutti

Broken In
Yeah true! the true power of Linux is seen only when you use the terminal.
After a few days of using Linux you will surely use the shell.

I was mentioning the configuration. All the configuration part can be done using the easy to use GUI tools.

For a really powerful OS use Debian Linux. But I warn you that it would be a paint to install the system and configure. Even the most simple things doesn't auto configure. FC3 (or any other distro like mandrake, SuSE) really shines in that part.

demoninside

In the zone
Come on Buddy
Wht do u mean by auto mount
Why not to mount the drives images at the time of installing by seting mount point.
any way i hvn't tried SuSE9.1pro so cann't say any thing,
just using debian nowdays a nice Distro,
It worth tring.

cnukutti

Broken In
Yes If you want a true GNUish distro opt for Debian GNU/Linux
You can easily configure auto-mounting by adding the entries in your /etc/fstab file.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Guys what i recomend take one small step at a time dont jump to other issues.
1. Talk about the partition
2. The boot Loader
3. The instalation
4. enjoy the setup for few days get a feel
5. Start customising the setup ......................................
6. Enjoy more
7. stop using the MOUSE & VISUAL LINKS
8. Now you are a computer geek

So starters dont get bogged down by high sounding words and fundas. Start one step at a time.

nixcraft

Journeyman
Linux distribution question is just like –

Do you love your mummy or wife more?

Short answer is depending upon your need. FC is good for home usage and if you are geek then use on production. Other hand Suse enterprise meant for enterprise usage.

cool_guy_on_linux

Right off the assembly line
FC for home use? Come on. RedHat's boss himself said in one interview that Home desktop users should stick to Windows which was much better !

However that does not mean that Linux is not suitable for home users. Try Mandrake 10.1 or Suse 9.2 or Linspire 5 or Ubuntu or Xandros....... and so on..... Any of these is preferable to Fedora for a home user.

Fedora is just a test bed for RedHat Enterprise. Whereas Suse is also good enough for Enterprise just like Mandrake. But both Suse and Mandrake have survived in the market only on their desktop usage. So if you plan to use Linux on your desktop, stick to the good distros and Fedora does not come in the top group for this purpose.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have been using PCQ Linux 2004 at home as well as office. It is based on FC1 and has all the tools that I require in my office as well as at home! Its not true that FC is not for home users. In my opinion, FC is good for home users simply because there are most number of self help tools (books, articles, etc.) on FC than all other distros combined. Home users cannot be expected to spend much on learning basics.

Anyway, I am eagerly waiting for PCQ Linux 2005 based on FC3. It is due to come in March 2005. PCQ's customisation makes a lot of things easier :)

cool_guy_on_linux

Right off the assembly line
I suggest you to try desktop focussed distros like Mandrake / Suse / Mepis / Ubuntu ...... You will change your mind when you see their ease of use. You hardly need to learn any commands for anything.

The first thing you will notice is the ability to easily re-partition your Hard Disk. Something that is very useful for new converts who cannot give up their Windows environment. FC and PCQ have too many things for which you have to go to the Shell. I have been using Mandrake and Suse regularly and I do not see any use of the command line for regular Home desktop functions.

PCQ has been a well made distro since they include Java, Flash etc but they are based on FC and therefore start off on the wrong footing. They would have been a better choice if they had based on Mandrake. Anyways PCQ has also stated on a number of occasions that they concentrate on the business front and not for home users. Home users for FC and PCQ are a secondary market.

Personally I started off with Linux due to the good work of PCQ in distributing RedHat but I have been forced to uninstall RedHat after struggling too many times with the CLI. Whereas in Mandrake and Suse, I have never even once gone to the CLI for anything. On any given day, Mandrake has been atleast 6 months ahead of RedHat in features for home and desktop users. I suggest you try Mandrake 10.1 when it comes on the Digit CD next month and then decide for yourself. Better still, try to get a Windows convert and install it on his machine and find out if he likes it.

tuxfan

Technomancer
cool_guy_on_linux said:
FC and PCQ have too many things for which you have to go to the Shell
:shock: I have been using it since quite some time now. And I don't know the ABC of command line. For almost everything there is a GUI frontend in PCQ Linux. I haven't gone to command line to do anything, except to satisfy my inquisitiveness ;)

cool_guy_on_linux said:
Anyways PCQ has also stated on a number of occasions that they concentrate on the business front and not for home users. Home users for FC and PCQ are a secondary market.
That comment is made for the articles contained in the magazine not their Linux distro. Their distro contains everything that a home user would require. For example, it also contains mPlayer which is usually not included in FC.

As for Mandrake, it is based on RedHat. So I feel there will be many similarities if you go a level deep. But I have taken your suggestion seriously and will surely try mandrake ;) I have 15GB space on my hard disk only for trying various distros :D I will remove Knoppix and put mandrake :)

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Come On .... FC3 is one of the smoothest distro i have ever seen it has a very good feal good eye candy and very stable and functional I will call it the best and the most widly used distro today (see the number of books available on it) There is no need for any one o use the command line and things like that . It has fast updates (Kernel 2.6.10 was available within 6 days) So I vote for FC3

demoninside

In the zone
Come on guys who the hell says, That for becoming a computer geek u need to leave the visual depart, any way i don't think so,COZ
=> I use IDE's for Rapid Devlopement,
=> Don't use shell untill unless it's do or die condition,
=> I m an DB programmer more then any thing else so using SQL is always command prompt but thinking to devlope some IDE for using SQL in more convenient manner,
any ways i think FC3 is cool if u hv a lot of resource nd very strictly hv a lot of RAM,
=> Run very smooth if u hv a rich configured system

tuxfan

Technomancer
demoninside said:
Run very smooth if u hv a rich configured system
I have PCQ Linux 2004 (based on FC1) on a P III 550 MHz machine with 128 MB RAM, onboard graphics card and it works without problem. Can we call this machine richly configured?

demoninside

In the zone
Dear Tux

I think u didn't notice I hv talked about FC3, not PCQ2004 coz i never tried it,

I think u all know linux, initiallise all software services at startup, it it's always heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom