Which instrument to learn ?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I am just confused as all three are totally awesome to me.

1. Guitar
2. Violin
3. Drums

Tell me your preference and the reason :smile:

pauldmps

Banned
Guitar = comparatively easier + earns reputation (when you play it & sing in front of people)
Violin = tough + you get included in a very rare & exclusive group of violinists.

That's my thoughts

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
boils down to your personal preference
since you are interested in all 3 why not learn all 3?

i don't think you should listen to me , rather listen to the "little Mozart" inside you
good luck

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
Guitar all the way. Though I do not know how to play any of these instruments but two of my friends played two of them. One guitar and another one octapad (so not drums exactly). Listening to both of them was fun.
I prefer guitar because practicing it will not disturb others. Drums may give sore ears to your neighbors.

Violin is little classical and orthodox if you ask me. Though nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't go for it if I were you. Moreover it would be hard to find a coach for violin as far as I know while guitar can be learned very easily and it rocks!!!!!!!

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

1. Guitar
2. Violin
3. Drums

1. Guitar
2. Violin
3. Drums

Drums would be difficult cause you would need to purchase equipment and a full set is quite expensive. Also it does not have solo appeal. Guitar falls in the middle, cause it is relatively easier to learn as compared to the violin, primarily because it has fretts and you know where to place the fingers. For the violin you need a damn damn good ear. Both the violin and guitar should be easily to buy in India...!

What ever you decide to take up, FOR SURE learn to read music score, and practice your scales and arpeggios....! They are the base and foundation of a good musician. Some basic singing classes (scales again) also help to train the ear and improve sight playing (seeing score the first time and playing it).

Best of luck.

By the way, had 7 years of violin tutoring as part of my school curriculum, including orchestra/symphony disciplines as well as solo performances along with 5 levels of successful accreditation from the London School of music.....!

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^Thats quite and insight, yeah from portability POV Violin wins. And then I am not a mainstream guy, listening to Yndi Halda and The Pirate Ship Quintet make me go zoom. The only time when I consider guitar and drums is cuz of Explosions in the Sky and Caspian.

Going for Violin then :) Will need your help too.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

boils down to your personal preference
since you are interested in all 3 why not learn all 3?

i don't think you should listen to me , rather listen to the "little Mozart" inside you
good luck

Don't want to be a jack of all trades. besides at a time learning one instrument makes sense :smile:

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Guitar = comparatively easier + earns reputation (when you play it & sing in front of people)
Violin = tough + you get included in a very rare & exclusive group of violinists.

That's my thoughts

Noted, I am not user friendly person :razz:

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Guitar all the way. Though I do not know how to play any of these instruments but two of my friends played two of them. One guitar and another one octapad (so not drums exactly). Listening to both of them was fun.
I prefer guitar because practicing it will not disturb others. Drums may give sore ears to your neighbors.

Violin is little classical and orthodox if you ask me. Though nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't go for it if I were you. Moreover it would be hard to find a coach for violin as far as I know while guitar can be learned very easily and it rocks!!!!!!!

Listen to Yndia Halda or The Pirate Ship Quintet and then tell me your thoughts about Violin :smile:

Goten

Banned
You just want to learn anything.....That says a lot about ur commitment to this thing...... Seriously bro my friend is learning guitar for 5 years now and he is only decent in playing it now.....Seeing him...my other 4 friends took guitars to learn but it requires much passion and hardwork to continue learning it......My opinion....after a month you will know that you havent learnt much of it and its pretty hard to get good at it.....So you will leave any instrument you take in pretty much a month or so.

So check if it is really ur passion.....Do something that is really UUUU.....For me its online gaming and bikes.

Peace~~~!

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

And if it is really ur passion then who am I to tell you anything.

Peace~~~!

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Commitment, I have none. But I am not learning just for the sake of coolness.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^Thats quite and insight, yeah from portability POV Violin wins. And then I am not a mainstream guy, listening to Yndi Halda and The Pirate Ship Quintet make me go zoom. The only time when I consider guitar and drums is cuz of Explosions in the Sky and Caspian.

Going for Violin then :) Will need your help too.

Anytime sure. It is a wonderful instrument, difficult to master but worth the discipline. Make sure the tutor/school teach you how to read music that is the crux.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I am considering applying here, can you have a look at it
Devs Music Academy !!! Violin Course

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

1. Guitar
2. Violin
3. Drums

if all three are totally awesome to u then learn all three....:))

in my opinion...Learn Guitar (evergreen instrument) & also Violin (bcoz of the sentimental sound it produces...:grin:)

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I have a tutor who teaches violin in my nieghbourhood. Gotta admit, They sound classy.

I heard from that tutor that many students give up after couple of months. Don't give up.Be a sport. :)

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Ok, will reply back in detail once I reach back home. Sorry for right now.
That's okay :)
I have a tutor who teaches violin in my nieghbourhood. Gotta admit, They sound classy.

I heard from that tutor that many students give up after couple of months. Don't give up.Be a sport. :)

Yeah, I am a geek so whatever I try, I try with a voracious appetite (unless some personal conflicts arise) :grin:

Here is my inspiration, Yndi Halda:
[YOUTUBE]8QTrswmESO8[/YOUTUBE]

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^I am considering applying here, can you have a look at it
Devs Music Academy !!! Violin Course

They are all holding the violin incorrect in the image..!

If you can get a detail of what all theory they will impart in terms of music and scales let me know.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
They are all holding the violin incorrect in the image..!

If you can get a detail of what all theory they will impart in terms of music and scales let me know.

Crap...:-?

I will get the detail of the theory and scales.

Top Bottom