Which GPS Maps & Navigator app to get for Android?

Sarath

iDota
I am using an Android phone on 2.3.3 on stock built. I know every Android has Google maps pre-installed, but it only runs online. This is becoming a huge problem for me. I have a net pack but I am worried about when it doesn't. I do not want to reach out for a Nokia phone each time I need to navigate which is embarrassing since I tout it as the best phone in the family.

So, I am looking for an alternative to google maps. Preferably free. Something that is as close to google maps as can be.
Also I wanted to know if there is any way to download google maps for offline use.

Thanks in advance

:)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Sharath: What is your exact purpose for offline maps?

if you are looking for professional maps then you have two choices. SatGuide and MapMyIndia. not sure about others/free solutions.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
If any of you have used Nokia then you will see that Ovi Maps is bundled free with navigation. I have used it once and it was pretty decent. Till then I didn't even know what navigation was. That was on a C7.

After upgrading to a phone twice the price, I find it lacking in navigation (actually its there but for residents of USoA only). Also the loading of maps each time is very disheartening especially after coming from something like Nokia Ovi Maps.

I saw the mapmyIndia maps and at 2700 bucks the price was difficult to digest. It might be worth it but I would like to see of there are any free offerings akin to google maps.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ask noob. he once told that using cache it is possible to use google maps offline. but practically it is not possible as well as PITA.

^ yeah..
Caching of maps is possible.
But it wont be a permanent solution.

You can enable the Google map labs from the settings and precache the area.
More>Labs>Precache Map area

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
God knows what makes Google think / assume that we'll (specially Indians) always be online.

Google Maps was designed as a online service. there is always other vendors who provide offline maps.
If it was not for Google, we would still have been stuck to other vendors.

GIS Mapping is a huge field and it takes lot of time to build quality maps. Trust me.. I have been in GIS/GPS business for 2 yrs.

guru_urug

iGoogle
Well u have a number of options...

*U can use the newer Google Maps which is only downloadable in US. But u can get it online ;) This version has the capability to cache the recent locations so u can have limited offline capabilty.

*u have apps like Ndrive which are pretty good too. That also provide navigation. But its a paid app.

*Then there are free apps like 'maverick' which are good. U can download maps on ur PC using map creator and then transfer files to the phone :)

*Also Locus is a pretty good app. You can download the offline maps directly on the phone.
:mrgreen:

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well I am not complaining against Google. They survive on adverts and their awesome map service is an online service is no surprise. Honestly I feel that if they release a offline map + navigation SW for mobile phones a lot of people won't be able to afford it.
In fact it is their very "eye" friendly maps that have me stuck on to them. The Nokia maps don't cover many of the places that are found on google.

I am thinking of sticking to the Nokia maps for my in car navigation assist. The google maps on the Android is mediocre at best in comparison.

maddy1205

bloody hell mate!!!!
One cant access Nokia Maps on android. To access the Nokia Maps service, head over to the default HTML5 enabled browsers and type maps.nokia.com in the address bar and access the service. I don't if there is dedicated app available. I tried using it, wasn't that great, probably because there was some problem with the net!

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get Sygic/Mapmyindia. Otherwise stick with Nokia. Atleast there is something which Nokia still does right. :p

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Try Waze. It is free and it is accurate too.

I have used it multiple times and am quite satisfied with the result. It worked well on my GPRS connection. Definitely worth a try.

Top Bottom