which GFX card for 400W PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
how can u say that ...?? CM500 is supposed to give rated power of 500W but can only give u power output of 500x70%(efficiency)= about 350W to 400W ..depending upon the efficiency ...

but corsair vx450 even though is rated at 450 W can deliver a power of upto 570 W ..its underrated ...where coolermaster's extreme model tells u the maximum power they can supply ..corsair always name their PSU on the average power it can supply in all conditions ...and thats why corsiar vx450 makes better option cos it will supply minimum of constant average power of 450W in every condition ...while even a coolermaster 600W could only supply a power of 600x70% = about 420 W~440W ...or maximum about that ...

thats what makes corsair vx450 best choice in the price range ..u can be rest assured that u will get minimum of 450W at all times ..and hence Vx450 can be used even for a HD4870/gtx260/gtx280 .....and even for HD4870x2 (with a core2duo..not with C2Q)..if u are not overclocking ..but with such high powered card its always a risk if u overclock ..hence atleast HX520W or Vx550 is recommended ....but surely vx450 can manage almost all the card in market today ..as long as u don't overclock both ur GPU and CPU ...

I know this but the reason why I recommand CM500W is the Sine Wave UPS compatibility issues with the VX450W but otherwise, it just roxx.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
in the 500W and 450W segment, get Corsair VX 450, but wid the ups compatibility issue.........

But a CM 600W and VX 450W are similarly priced, and both give same performance(600W is a tad better).

imgame2

Padawan
I know this but the reason why I recommand CM500W is the Sine Wave UPS compatibility issues with the VX450W but otherwise, it just roxx.

i know someone brought it up ..but really i was not able to find any issue with UPS over the internet ..being a sinewave or not ...cos neither it is mentioned anywhere on the website/manual of corsair or anywhere that it needs a sinewave input ...even a stepped sine wave approximation would do good ...cos all the computer hardware needs is an alternating waveform ...so as long its alternating ...with constant amplitude components will work fine ...need not be sine wave ..it can be distorted sine wave ...

since we are using a switching mode power supply (SMPS) ..which actually first rectifies the input waveform using a bridge full wave rectifier (i hope u have read this yet )..and this rectified waveform goes into switching circuit consisting of MOSFET/Thyristors ..which converts rectified wavefrom into squarewave form which is then the input of transformer ..which gets amplified by transformer and is fed through filtering circuits and then to output of PSU ...

which in theory can really be done for stepped sinewave ..and with quality components and smartly desiged highly efficient circuitry ..in vx450 ..i wouldn't see why it will not work otherwise ......

i m not able to prove this pure sinewave theory ..cos even at our homes we never get pure sine waves ..thats a luxory ..for only industry which required clean and pure sine wave ...infact what we get what is hardly a pure sine wave ...as indian power supply grid infrastructure is hardly an efficient one.We don't even get a constant 50 Hz frequency in india it always various from 48 to 52 Hz(but its never on higher side and its always on lower side) which is unacceptale from european standards(49.5Hz to 50.5Hz) ..but its fine in india :mad:...

and sine as i mentioned since it ultimately gets converted to squarewaveform ..it would hardly matter...

i don't know who came up with the theory of pure sine wave input to vx450 V ..

in the 500W and 450W segment, get Corsair VX 450, but wid the ups compatibility issue.........

But a CM 600W and VX 450W are similarly priced, and both give same performance(600W is a tad better).

did u not read what i just said above CM600W doesn't deliver even 450 W cosntantly while corsair vx450W can ...now which is better ...?

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Sorry but many ppl have said they found 600W to be very good, and what you said cannot be applied to all the PSUs, some may have a li'l different efficiency....so it varies

imgame2

Padawan
Sorry but many ppl have said they found 600W to be very good, and what you said cannot be applied to all the PSUs, some may have a li'l different efficiency....so it varies

no need to be sorry here ...

but yes they can find 600W good cos most of the time the power a PC needs is around 400W ..so doesn't make any issue ...but i have heard newer CM600 going kaput and there is problem of current locking with them ..so i suggest its better to go for Vx450 ..

and what i know idealy a PSU should be named according to the power it supplies but its not always so with low-end priced PSU ...why do u think that coolermaster extreme 600W (RP-600-PCAR) PSU costs about 3.3k while another coolermaster 600W PSU called i green PSU (RS-600-ASAA) costs about 7.1k ??

what do u think is the difference between the two ???

Power supplies are labeled according to the maximum power they can deliver – at least in theory. The problem is that a lot of power supplies can’t deliver their labeled power, usually because the manufacturer:

(1)Labeled the power supply with peak wattage, which can only be achieved during some seconds and, in some cases, in less than one second.

(2)Measured the power supply maximum wattage with an unrealistic room temperature, normally 25º C (77º F), while thetemperature inside the PC will always be higher than that – at least 35º C (95º F). Semiconductors and inductors have a physical effect calling de-rating where they lose their ability to deliver current (and thus power) with temperature (see Figure 28). So a maximum power measured at a lower temperature may not be achieved when temperature is increased.

(3)Simply lied. This is probably the case with “generic” units.

source
coolermaster extreme series belong to the first category ...

while corsiar vx450 being of the safer side just rates its PSU on the minimum costant power it can supply ...it earns them credibility..thats why its one of the best entry level PSU all over the world..

acewin

Point Blanc
@ingame you are right VX450 is really constant 450W PSU,
I meant that if we check the 80 Plus ratings CM 500W is also 80%+ performace PSU which would give more than 400W average, which would be good choice as it is lesser costlier by atleast 700-800 bucks than 450VX and when reqs are high it is good

imgame2

Padawan
@ingame you are right VX450 is really constant 450W PSU,
I meant that if we check the 80 Plus ratings CM 500W is also 80%+ performace PSU which would give more than 400W average, which would be good choice as it is lesser costlier by atleast 700-800 bucks than 450VX and when reqs are high it is good

no actually the coolermaster model here we are talking about is from extremepower series .... extremepower series only have efficiency of something greater than 70%

coolermaster also have a series called igreen,real power and slient pro ..in these three categories we get 500W and 600W PSU ..and its only there we have this 80% efficiency ...

coolermaster real power and igreen power also comes with 500W PSU ..with 80% and which in india costs about 5k ...@itwares and these will actually give 500W of constant power or very close to it ...and these are ones mentioned in the list

look for the model numbers and u will know

RS-500-ASAA -igreen power 500w (80+ efficiency certified )- link

RS-500-AMBA-D3 -silent Pro 500W(80+ efficiency certified )- link

RP-500-PCAR extremepower 500W (only efficicency greater than 70% ) - link

we are talking about the third one here which is available @ 2.8k approx ...2nd one costs about 5k ..and 1st one may be more costly than 5k ...

so extremepowere series is just a affordable series and doesn't belong to 80plus class ..and 500W and 600W extremepower models we talk about thus only work at efficieny ..of something like 70~75% may be ...

i hope this makes things clearer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom