which GFX card for 400W PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

parimal

Journeyman
I want to upgrade my GFX card to 9600GT. I have 400Watts PSU in my c2d machine. Is 400watts sufficient for this card. if no, which other card I can buy??

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
Yes it is.
My friend use to run his 8800GT on 400W PSU.

But to be on the safer side ... Get atleast a 500W one.

nakulvit

Broken In
It depends on which 400W power supply (the manufacturer i mean) you've got. Check the Graphics card box for how much current is required on the "12V Rail". Then check your Power Supply(you may have to open your case) rating and see how much current it supplies on the 12V rail. Generally a 9600GT needs at least 26A. But make sure that you've got atleast 30A.

As regarding your other question, i'd suggest you to go for an ATI HD4850 card. They perform much better than a 9600GT, but then again, you may be surprised like me.

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=950511#post950511

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Do u know the efficiency of ur PSU. Only use if the efficiency > 90%. Only Branded PSUs frm Corsair, Tagan , CM have such efficiencies else get a new 500 or 600W PSU with at least 70% efficiency.

Last edited:

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
^^
What will u say if someone runs his 8800GT smoothly on 400W non branded PSU ??? (I mean excluding Corsair, Tagan , CM)

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
^^He ll be running it under a risk, non branded PSUs are the biggest risk to the PC.
And the WATTS is not the primary thing, one shud check 12V rail and Ampere things(i donno much abt that)
I am using EVGA 9600GT KnockOut Edition(Overclocked), with a Corsair 450VX and till date i didnt have any problem.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I have PowerSafe 400Watts PSU.
You need atleast 500W since the efficiency of PowerSafe one was just <70%. So get a PowerSafe 500W Silver one for 1.7k...:D
Or a Corsair VX450W for 3.2k....
Dont underestimate this VX450W,his efficiency is above 90% and so it will able to handle ur rig..

imgame2

Padawan
You need atleast 500W since the efficiency of PowerSafe one was just <70%. So get a PowerSafe 500W Silver one for 1.7k...:D
Or a Corsair VX450W for 3.2k....
Dont underestimate this VX450W,his efficiency is above 90% and so it will able to handle ur rig..

ok guys now thats the bit stretched ....corsair Vx450 gives efficiency from 83% to 86% and which varies with the load ...

*www.corsair.com/_images/charts/vx450w_efficiency.jpg

i m saying this cos ...after 85% efficiency increasing the efficiency is no joke ...for every percent of increase ..u will have to put costly circuits ..which will increase the over all cost ...

engineering is always done for optimization of economical and physical constraints!

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
I ran my XFX 8800GT 512MB on a VIP 400W PSU for 2 months before getting CM 500W

BTW, 9600GT will run

Last edited:

amrawtanshx

Lets Do It!
^^
And it would have worked fine with it ??

Though XFX has specified a 500W PSU as a requirement ... But it works fine on 400W too.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
hey guys i was wondering would i be able to run a evga 8800gts on the bundled psu alongwith my zebronics lava?????? it has a power efficiecny of 80%

imgame2

Padawan
hey guys i was wondering would i be able to run a evga 8800gts on the bundled psu alongwith my zebronics lava?????? it has a power efficiecny of 80%

who said that ?? that zebronics has efficiency of 80 % ???

and no it will not be able to run ur 8800gts ...

imgame2

Padawan
well it says so on the psu and then plz tell me which cheapest posu should i buy for a 8800gts

any PSU with or above 80 % efficiency gets a certification from 80 plus program...which certifies PSU all over the world if they can give 80% efficiency or not ...

*www.80plus.org/

get atleast Coolermaster 500W for 2.7 k ...or Coolermaster 460W for 2.2k ...

or if u can buy ..get a corsair vx450 W for 3.2k

out of them only corsair Vx 450W gives efficiency from 83% to 86%..

Do u know the efficiency of ur PSU. Only use if the efficiency > 90%. Only Branded PSUs frm Corsair, Tagan , CM have such efficiencies else get a new 500 or 600W PSU with at least 70% efficiency.

there are no PSU which provides efficiency greater than 90 %

*www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_detail.aspx?id=0&type=2

which has only 3 PSU (all with wattage around 255W ) provides efficiency greater than 90% but less than 91% (called 80 plus gold )...

rest are simply below 90% and above 80% ..this is a world wide standard for all PSU makers ...

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
interesting info @KPower, if the power %ages are correct then CM 500W is as good as corsair 450VX,infact better than corsair having more than 80% efficiency

imgame2

Padawan
interesting info @KPower, if the power %ages are correct then CM 500W is as good as corsair 450VX,infact better than corsair having more than 80% efficiency

how can u say that ...?? CM500 is supposed to give rated power of 500W but can only give u power output of 500x70%(efficiency)= about 350W to 400W ..depending upon the efficiency ...

but corsair vx450 even though is rated at 450 W can deliver a power of upto 570 W ..its underrated ...where coolermaster's extreme model tells u the maximum power they can supply ..corsair always name their PSU on the average power it can supply in all conditions ...and thats why corsiar vx450 makes better option cos it will supply minimum of constant average power of 450W in every condition ...while even a coolermaster 600W could only supply a power of 600x70% = about 420 W~440W ...or maximum about that ...

thats what makes corsair vx450 best choice in the price range ..u can be rest assured that u will get minimum of 450W at all times ..and hence Vx450 can be used even for a HD4870/gtx260/gtx280 .....and even for HD4870x2 (with a core2duo..not with C2Q)..if u are not overclocking ..but with such high powered card its always a risk if u overclock ..hence atleast HX520W or Vx550 is recommended ....but surely vx450 can manage almost all the card in market today ..as long as u don't overclock both ur GPU and CPU ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom