which company makes the best laptops?

which is the best laptop maker?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Arya, enough said about your sweet eyecandy, lets decide come on.

Present us your best Apple laptop for Rs.55000/-. Lets see which one scores better.

This is a challenge for you. Defend your Apple if you can!
Asus S96J

HP DV6226TX

Oh wait, they are not white :D

I must say, when it comes to solid build quality & top notch Laptops, IBM/lenovo Thinkpads beats each & every one of them, Hardly any problem ever in it (Except for Sony battery). One bad thing that they are geared towards professional crowd so look industrial design based unlike Macbook which looks like some cute show piece.

hey anyone seen Acer Gemstone

karmanya

Journeyman
i honestly think this should go into the fight club section

*and Karmanya said; let the fanboys roam the world*
the world responded *shut up u frickin moron*
*karmanya starts crying*
personally i like alienware cuz of thier gameing rigs and toshiba cuz my dad has one and its super light

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
*h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/in/en/ho/WF25a/1090709-1116637-1116665-1116665-1116665-12936518.html
That is one excellent desktop replacement.
HP has good support and drivers but has bundled crapware with OEM OS and doesnt provide CDs and tells us to make the restore DVDs ourselves. Dell is costly. HCL has very bad driver support and isn't vfm. Lenovo wasn't providing driver downloads for my friends' laptops although their website has a drivers section which is empty. Lenovo is cheap though. Sony is not at all vfm. I dont know about others.

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Many of the members here tells...that HP is cheaper than dell!!

Is it so?

I got my core 2 duo laptop frm Dell relatively 8K cheaper than HP, arnd 10K cheaper than lenovo, 5k cheaper than Compaq and arnd 2k cheaper than Acer! But i realized HCL is cheaper than DEll by approx. 1.5K!!!

DELL is the Cheapest Global Brand available in India.. I think!

Last edited:
OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
@aryayush

if u r so confident ...then answer kirans question

& read my post i am takin laptop makers with india as the main consideration....

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
Ganeshkumar said:
Many of the members here tells...that HP is cheaper than dell!!

Is it so?

I got my core 2 duo laptop frm Dell relatively 8K cheaper than HP, arnd 10K cheaper than lenovo, 5k cheaper than Compaq and arnd 2k cheaper than Acer! But i realized HCL is cheaper than DEll by approx. 1.5K!!!

DELL is the Cheapest Global Brand available in India.. I think!

In my college 97% of the students stay in hostel and they need to take their computers home in holidays and desktop replacement would do best. When it comes to desktop replacing performer which scores well in 3dmark06 HP (graphics card, 1 GB RAM, RAID 0, 17inch widescreen, remote control , numeric pad and a lot more) HP is more VFM. You can get one below 70k. Of course certain DELL offers are good too but I dont want to take risk with their customer support especially since there has been so many people claiming it to be HELL. Best thing to do when buying DELL is to wait for the start of new month when they enhance offers on their products.

ECE0105

In the zone
IBM/Lenovo...
HP/Compaq
Toshiba
Acer
Dell

In that order. Sony is no VFM, HCL is plain crap.

I will buy an Apple when I loot a Bank... It is just an unnecessary luxury for me...

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
adithyagenius said:
In my college 97% of the students stay in hostel and they need to take their computers home in holidays and desktop replacement would do best. When it comes to desktop replacing performer which scores well in 3dmark06 HP (graphics card, 1 GB RAM, RAID 0, 17inch widescreen, remote control , numeric pad and a lot more) HP is more VFM. You can get one below 70k. Of course certain DELL offers are good too but I dont want to take risk with their customer support especially since there has been so many people claiming it to be HELL. Best thing to do when buying DELL is to wait for the start of new month when they enhance offers on their products.

Dude u r badly mistaken or r having some confusions.

I've seen that the service of dell is the best one can ever imagine. Or rather cant even imagine ;)

I personally have many incidents to quote all being when they gave me service even though i wasnt in warranty here.
First they replaced my DVD writer because it had a problem, the second time they replced it coz i broke it !!
They also replaced my battery when i made a kill of it, working day and night on it and its operating time reduced.
When i complained, they at once agreed to replace it and because i was in a remote location, they sent an engineer from so far to my location in just 2 days.

No company in India can beat this type of support where companies have the attitude to just kick away customers asking for support.

And yes, my warranty is not the "Complete Cover" type, in which they cover every problem of user.
It's the one where in for a fault, the user has to carry the good to depot to get it repaired but till date i never had to even worry a bit about my laptop to carry it somewhere. They were always were a call away, be myself in Delhi or a remote village/town. :)

My vote : DELL, might be a lil expensive but its the best in terms of config u can get and the support is just awesome, Larger than life ;)

Last edited:

hyram_h

Right off the assembly line
Which company makes the best laptops? Not many companies who design laptops and sell them, bother to make them themselves -- in most cases, making the machines themselves is fobbed off to one of a very small number of Chinese factories.

Well, no-one in China can make anything resembling a quality product, so that automatically excludes the following companies:

Acer, Apple, ASUS, Averatec, Dell, Fujitsu, Gateway, Compaq, Hewlett Packard, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba.

(refer to the list here for more information)

That's right, kids, pretty much every brand people are talking about in this thread come from one of three factories in China: Quanta, Conpal, and Hon Hei. The only difference between a Dell Inspiron and an Apple MacBook is the case and its company badge. Everything inside is off the self componentry and reference designs.

As there's no real contender for laptop production in the USA or Europe, that leaves Japan. And the last real maker of laptops in Japan is Panasonic. And their best product is the Toughbook. Expensive, definitely. Fully featured, absolutely. You could drop one of these off the Golden Gate Bridge, bounce it off a passing ship, and rescue it from the bottom of the Bay, and it would still work.

As for the anti-Apple posts in here: you would do well to re-examine the price vs performance options of the MacBook and MacBook Pro against the Dells and the HPs, because you'll find that there won't be that much of a difference. Plus, when you buy an Apple laptop, you get a truly do-everything computer -- it runs OSX, with its powerful Unix-like core and humungous availability of programs (you can fink or macport virtually any linux source-code into an OSX program easily) that is also vastly more secure than Windows could ever hope to be, plus it can and does run Windows XP and Vista comfortably. Hell, Microsoft used Apple iMac flat-panel computers to demo Vista to the world!! Not only can you boot into Windows XP or Vista on a MacBook (they use Intel CPUs now) with Apple's free Boot Camp, you can have Mac OS X and Windows running simultaneously thanks to Parallels.

*fuzzz.gaulin.ca/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/coherence-with-parallels-1.png

"Whoever said you can't have it all ... doesn't use Mac."

H.

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
hyram_h said:
Which company makes the best laptops? Not many companies who design laptops and sell them, bother to make them themselves -- in most cases, making the machines themselves is fobbed off to one of a very small number of Chinese factories.

Well, no-one in China can make anything resembling a quality product, so that automatically excludes the following companies:

Acer, Apple, ASUS, Averatec, Dell, Fujitsu, Gateway, Compaq, Hewlett Packard, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba.

(refer to the list here for more information)

That's right, kids, pretty much every brand people are talking about in this thread come from one of three factories in China: Quanta, Conpal, and Hon Hei. The only difference between a Dell Inspiron and an Apple MacBook is the case and its company badge. Everything inside is off the self componentry and reference designs.

As there's no real contender for laptop production in the USA or Europe, that leaves Japan. And the last real maker of laptops in Japan is Panasonic. And their best product is the Toughbook. Expensive, definitely. Fully featured, absolutely. You could drop one of these off the Golden Gate Bridge, bounce it off a passing ship, and rescue it from the bottom of the Bay, and it would still work.

As for the anti-Apple posts in here: you would do well to re-examine the price vs performance options of the MacBook and MacBook Pro against the Dells and the HPs, because you'll find that there won't be that much of a difference. Plus, when you buy an Apple laptop, you get a truly do-everything computer -- it runs OSX, with its powerful Unix-like core and humungous availability of programs (you can fink or macport virtually any linux source-code into an OSX program easily) that is also vastly more secure than Windows could ever hope to be, plus it can and does run Windows XP and Vista comfortably. Hell, Microsoft used Apple iMac flat-panel computers to demo Vista to the world!! Not only can you boot into Windows XP or Vista on a MacBook (they use Intel CPUs now) with Apple's free Boot Camp, you can have Mac OS X and Windows running simultaneously thanks to Parallels.

*fuzzz.gaulin.ca/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/coherence-with-parallels-1.png

"Whoever said you can't have it all ... doesn't use Mac."

H.
The best and most informative post I've ever read on the Digit forum. A big thank you to whoever you are for this post.

Like I've been saying since day one, it is not the hardware but the software that really matters. :)

Please carry on with the discussion on "Which company makes the cheapest laptops?" now and don't start a flame war here because someone ventured to make an account on the Digit forum just to post one truthful post. Please!

amitava82

MMO Addict
Hp any day because quality, VFM at its class and service as well. I had a single dead pixel (unnoticeable) on my screen and they replaced whole LCD within 7 days. no question asked. Then I got a call from HP CC asking if i was satisfied with their service etc... what can i say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom