Which card to buy from South East Asia?

iwannaberockstar

Right off the assembly line
Hey guys, my brother is going on a trip to S-E Asia, particularly Thailand, Singapore, Hong-Kong, Malasia ,etc. Now I needed a new graphics card for my PC and decided to ask him to bring it from there.
Now my question is, should I buy it from there as I heard that they come very cheap there or should I buy it from india itself? Would I be getting a warranty if I import it? Do anybody have any experience in this matter? What would be the pros and cons of buying it from there?
Also which card is best suited for me as I would be gaming in 1024*768 resolution with full bells and whistles on and I would also like a bit future proofing.
Budget- Rs.5,000 to Rs.7,000
My specs are-
Processor- Intel Core 2 duo E7400@2.8GHz
Current GPU- XFX 8600GT
PSU- Corsair GS500(just upgraded)
Mother Board- MSI P45 Neo 3
Ram- 4GB DDR2
Monitor- Samsung Syncmaster CRT 17 inch
OS- Windows XP 32 bit.

1 more noobie question: Do I really have to upgrade from XP to Windows 7 to obtain best results in terms of gaming , as its a bit expensive for me.

Last edited:

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
Buy a 7770 or 6850 at abt 8k from india. In this way u will get warranty and it will be enough for your needs.
Win xp is good but win7 has dx11 which will have better and advanced graphics. The cards suggested also have dx11 too.

OP
I

iwannaberockstar

But wouldn't be I getting any warranty if I buy it from there?
Also, is the price difference too high between here and S-E Asia? If it is then should I compromise on warranty and instead get a better graphic card cause I can extend my budget a little.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
No you won't get any warranty.
It would be better to get warranty coz if you face prblms with the gpu atleast you will be safe with the warranty.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
But wouldn't be I getting any warranty if I buy it from there?
Also, is the price difference too high between here and S-E Asia? If it is then should I compromise on warranty and instead get a better graphic card cause I can extend my budget a little.

First of all, you won't get any warranty AFAIK.

Moreover, the price difference between India and other SE Asian countries is very variable. Depends on product to product. I enquired last month from Dubai. HD6850 was 800 AED ie. in INR 11500, which is way much higher than that available here (INR 9000). Some things are cheap, consumer electronics to be exact, like Television, Radio sets, cordless phones and stuff. Other things vary. Better check with your brother on rates and then decide. IMO it's not good, sacrificing warranty for just 1-1.5k INR (even which is not possible).

OP
I

iwannaberockstar

Thanks a lot guys. Ditched the plan of buying from there. But 1 more question.
Are 7770 and 6850 good or should I also look at some Nvidia cards? Also I am upgrading my monitor from my trusty old CRT to a 19 or 21 inch LCD. So for that resolution, are the cards sufficient for newer and future games?

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes, the 7770 or the 6850 will be enough. You will be able to play the games in atleast in high settings if not ultra. And there are no good nvidia cards at this range. If you can strech your budget to 10.5k then you can go for gtx 560.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Thanks a lot guys. Ditched the plan of buying from there. But 1 more question.
Are 7770 and 6850 good or should I also look at some Nvidia cards? Also I am upgrading my monitor from my trusty old CRT to a 19 or 21 inch LCD. So for that resolution, are the cards sufficient for newer and future games?

Out of both, preferably go the HD6850. Much higher performer than HD7770 for a small increment in price. HD7770 is available for around 8-9k and HD6850 will also be available within 9k.

OP
I

iwannaberockstar

OK guys so I am getting the 6850 in a week's time from Nehru Place.
Which brand should I go with? Currently I have XFX 8600GT which bonked out once (fortunately in warranty period) and I have heard lots of horror stories regarding the Rashi Peripheral guys on this forum. I am thinking of going with MSI. What say?
Also I checked out the SMC International site and noticed that the Sapphire 6850 card was Rs. 2000 costlier than the MSI one and strangely the MSI card had an almost 200MHz core clock speed advantage on the Sapphire!

Top Bottom