Which bank in india have an excellent internet banking facility?

beingGamer

In the zone
I would suggest Standard Chartered, no special character/numbers/alphanumeric password required.
Easy to get to reset the password if you forgot it.
Very safe, as you have to enter one time password which is sent to your mobile, each time you have to do a transaction.
You can change your mobile number form their website, then all your messages will come to your new number.
no need to go to the branch at all.

Considering Net Banking, Bank of Baroda & Central Bank of India has worst facility, every time you have something like forgot password or anything else, you have only one option-Go to the branch and give an application. These is the worst bank i will ever have.

Last edited:

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
ICICI has been great for me. But internet banking is really a small part of the overall experience. ICICI CC guys have been great for me. All my issues have been resolved within 1-2 hours at most.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
SBI internet banking is very good. SBI Freedom plus app can be used in phone to access internet banking.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I have 6+ bank accounts for various purposes. I like ICICI Bank the best.

ICICI Bank :
Security - One Time Password + grid based debit card for each transaction in addition to login password. (Previously they had a separate transaction password and OTP if the mode of access changed)
Convenience - Change password yourself. Add a payee, it gets activated within an hour or may be even 15 minutes after OTP. (very helpful when you need to urgently pay someone over the internet which is actually when you probably need the NEFT most)

SBI :
Security - Good. But horror if you ever forget your password. You have to go to the bank (worst customer service EVER) and so much writing applications and waiting for authentication/approval. Separate for login and transaction/profile or something.
Convenience - Need to wait 24 hour for all payees to be approved. That too after OTP. Only thing remaining is to have biometric validation of payees!
You need to get a separate mobile user ID whatnot with password for the mobile application the issuing process of which has at least 5 steps. I have forgotten and stopped using that once I forgot because I am sure re-activating it will need 25 trips to the bank.
NEW - There is a State Bank Anywhere internet banking application where you can use the same login/transaction details as your internet banking website.

Federal Bank :
Absolutely worst user experience I have ever come across.
Very low default transaction limit per day. 30,000. If you enter a payment detail but cancelled it due to some reason and try to enter another - it gets counted and you will hit the limit. Sorry for today.
You need to enhance the limit - visit branch.
Wait more than 24 hours for payee approval. They will actually call you to verify that you have entered the payee and then make you wait.
You go to enter a payee and their system cannot find the IFSC code. You need to call their CC and shout and then they will add it after 2 days. Sometimes you could enter it direct.
For each and every possible mode of access - internet, mobile, sms, IMPS they need a separate user ID and password. And a payee entered in one mode does not appear in another. You have to go through the same process again.

- - - Updated - - -

HDFC :
Reasonable. But I find their policy of asking for ID proof for each and everything a bit irritating.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Bank for non-rich persons with good internet banking, ICICI, HDFC. Bank for persons with no money restriction, StanC, Citi. And there are banks which I call garbage, SBI and kinds. They all are great IMHO, I've never seen either failing other than one or two occasions.
For private I'll suggest either ICICI or HDFC, their CC is great too. For PSU, SBI. Avoid BOB even if they tell you they'll give you 50k per annum for free, period.

Gollum

Collector
CITI Bank is the best.
Since the time I got it All my mobile, dth post paid recharges are done through it
money transfer happens instantly
excellent customer care.

masterkd

Padawan
SBI :
Security - Good. But horror if you ever forget your password. You have to go to the bank (worst customer service EVER) and so much writing applications and waiting for authentication/approval. Separate for login and transaction/profile or something.
Convenience - Need to wait 24 hour for all payees to be approved. That too after OTP. Only thing remaining is to have biometric validation of payees!
Totally untrue. It gets approved for me within max 4 hours and that is the official time required for it as well. Same happens for my dad, mom and at least 10 other people I know having SBI account.

Security in SBI is paranoid and I feel safe that way. I do have an ICICI account and I feel the online banking portal sucks in ICICI. The UI is not at all user friendly. SBI is serving me well for last 9 years and my family for 34+ years. :p

beingGamer

In the zone
I would suggest Standard Chartered, no special character/numbers/alphanumeric password required.
Easy to get to reset the password if you forgot it.
Very safe, as you have to enter one time password which is sent to your mobile, each time you have to do a transaction.
You can change your mobile number form their website, then all your messages will come to your new number.
no need to go to the branch at all.

Considering Net Banking, Bank of Baroda & Central Bank of India has worst facility, every time you have something like forgot password or anything else, you have only one option-Go to the branch and give an application. These is the worst bank i will ever have.

Oops.. I missed one point!

ATM usage with Standard Chartered in any bank's ATM is totally free, no 5 transaction limit.

josin

In the zone
Totally untrue. It gets approved for me within max 4 hours and that is the official time required for it as well. Same happens for my dad, mom and at least 10 other people I know having SBI account.

Security in SBI is paranoid and I feel safe that way. I do have an ICICI account and I feel the online banking portal sucks in ICICI. The UI is not at all user friendly. SBI is serving me well for last 9 years and my family for 34+ years. :p

+1 to that....."max 4 hours" is true....it even works out on Sundays. I have used SBI, Axis bank, Andhra bank, ICICI and KVB. I find SBI as the most user friendly website for internet banking. Now axis bank has introduced "instant payment system" kind of like RTGS (no min amount restriction) and its very good if you want real time NEFT.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl

For PSU, SBI. Avoid BOB even if they tell you they'll give you 50k per annum for free, period.

It's not the bank, its the shortage of adequate manpower skills n knowledge about their own bank that results in sometimes poor customer service. Private banks have limited customer base & that too urban, they do what is called class-banking... so it's not fair to compare them with state run banks.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking of getting a SBI account.

I'm in my Bangalore, but my permanent address is of Delhi. Can I get a SBI account in a Bangalore branch? I don't have any local address proof as I live in hostel.

Coming on to the OP's query, I have accounts in Axis Bank, Punjab National Bank and Union Bank of India.

Axis Bank = net-banking and all. My daily usage bank. Debit Card works on most international sites. Rs. 10,000 "average monthly balance" is tough to keep. If you have two days of Rs. 8,000...then you need to have two days with Rs. 12,000 in your bank. Otherwise Rs. 250 fine.
Punjab National Bank = has all the fixed deposits. No debit card, no net-banking. Basically old fashioned, "jaa ke chai piyo" type of bank. I will NOT recommend their net-banking as it looks from the era of Windows 95. Just get their account, dump money in it and make fixed deposits, PPF etc.
Union Bank of India = college fees payment.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
It's not the bank, its the shortage of adequate manpower skills n knowledge about their own bank that results in sometimes poor customer service. Private banks have limited customer base & that too urban, they do what is called class-banking... so it's not fair to compare them with state run banks.
Everyone knows that! Doesn't take away the fact that their employees have horrible behaviour and lacks the minimal knowledge when it's about tech stuffs. See the government banks of other developing large countries. It can't be any worse than it's here.

Top Bottom