Which AV is for U

Status
Not open for further replies.

sms_solver

In the zone
Earlier I have been using Norton AV 2003

Now I use AVG
I might try kaspersky

is seems that Norton is loosing it foot over AV market.

gamefreak14

Journeyman
Gxsaurav,I have to disagree with you. NAV2005 is a real system resource hogger.I have 512 MB RAM, and I still have to wait 3 mins extra during boot up, for the damn 'engine' to load up. Enabling it causes the whole system to go sluggish. So I enable it only while surfing, after which I leave it disabled. And I do perform a system scan every 5 days or so....NAV2004 was much faster while booting and never was a resource hogger. Well you can't blame them when almost everyone has a 3Ghz PC in the US. Bloatware is a must for pushing processor speeds!

ujjwal

Padawan
NAV2k1 was the only good NAV ever ... i still have a cd of it, might install it sometime to see how it holds up these days ;)

Sourabh

Laptoping
no av for me

btw guys i installed norton2k5 systemworks today n it was as disappointing as always. same probs not again plz !!!
engine takes hell lotta time to boot up

install mcafee 9 yesterday it is not worth speaking too

earlier i used kasperesky for a week got rid of that too

now i feel no a/v is good
time for urself to get a lil bit concious over the net and copying data from cd,dvds

now i just use zone alrm pro 5 and webroot spy sweeper

OP
G

gxsaurav

what U guys think is bloatware is not bloat but a feature, the NAV 2K5 boot time protection, which loads NAV when the system boots up, I have disabled it & my system boots in 12 Secs straight, it can also be because U have a lot of stuff loading during system startup, I only have 5 things,

It's just that if U don' use an always on internet connection like cable or broadband, then U should disable the boot time startup

Go to NAV options -> Auto Protect ->advanced

Uncheck, start NAV at system bootup, it's not bloat but a feature to protect from boot time virus

I have cable net, but the LAN connection by which it comes stays disabled if I m not using it, & with system startup net doesn't start

Kaspersky, soon, when more features will be added it will also become a bloat, just like NAV or Mcafee is rite now, while they were the best before

U must understand the difference between bloat & Feature, do U think they will make their product bloat just to loose reputation

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
i have 256mb of RAM and still nav takes much of my ram...
i use nav coz i get updates to signitures, and most us use it...

*img62.exs.cx/img62/9472/signiture.gif

technoteen

Journeyman
i use kaspersky

pros-
-the updates are small
-the adware and spyware detection is great
-the virus detction rate is also very good
-you can really turn it off(not like nav where it still eats resources)
-cannot be ended through task manager

cons-
-the startup time increases by about 10 - 15 seconds after logging in
-cannot use it with the switch user feature of xp
-eats about 11mb ram

OP
G

gxsaurav

Hmm,NAC confusions

NAV can be compleately disabled if U want, here's how

1) Disable NAV Auto Protect from NAV->Options->Auto Protect

2) Stop the following services in the series

NAV Auto Protect, Symantec Core LC, Symantec Event Manager,Symantec Settings Manager, after that kill ccapp.exe

a catch is that even if U end task the ccapp.exe, while all the other things are on, NA Auto Protect is still on

ice

In the zone
Indyan said:
AVG is better than mcaffe.
But symantec corporate isn't gr8.if u wanna try..Kav or NOD 32 shud b your choice.Extendia another option.

Nope, Symantec Corporate is Not bad, its really nice.
have u tried v9?

Edit : Just relaised its detection rates are 9% lower than KAV, btw how would kav run on a p4 2.40 with Winxp Sp2 and 128mb ram. [my gurls pc] ?

OP
G

gxsaurav

ICE simple do what U should do with every AV be it NAV or KAV or Mcafee

If U R not using internet, then U can safely disable the NAV Auto Protect, which is useless if runnig without Internet running, U want free RAM then simply follow the measures I gave above to disable NAV compleately

ice

In the zone
gxsaurav said:
ICE simple do what U should do with every AV be it NAV or KAV or Mcafee

If U R not using internet, then U can safely disable the NAV Auto Protect, which is useless if runnig without Internet running, U want free RAM then simply follow the measures I gave above to disable NAV compleately

But its not my machine :p.. 11mb can iznt much i think.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
I dl kav 5.0.156 ya it rox specially pe but then i cant run the updates coz there is no facility for offline updating i think so it doesnt update from a local foldr. I dunno if any 1 of ya r facing that problem but i am also somebody tell me how am i supposed to remove that message that tells me on my system startup that im supposed to perform a complete scan.

Well it may sound starnage But is a AV prog actully needed for a home user system.
Well if ur a new user or dunn kno wat a virus nd how to get rid of it then
u do need one.
But tell me if u hav ntfs partitions (most of us do if u dont u must) all the important s/w programs etc are on seperate partitions .And u update ur windows regularly then do u need a AV prog .Well more than virus the system gets affected by spyware.A good spyware prog s all i use.
Also keep a regular check on my comp using Stinger which is fast very helpful for xp and well free too.
Free is the main part from my xperiences never ever use a pirated copy of Norton or ne AV.If u r using one xpect their call sooner or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom