Which AV is for U

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

Although I had a bad experience with KAV personal, it made me reinstall Windows, but that could have been due to my mistake or something

No matter which AV U use, their engine is pretty much same, they do pretty much same way of doing a trick, when U launch an application the AV detects the code being executed for viruses, so this make app launching & opening a bit slow, but it’s still unnotable on system with sufficient RAM

NAV 2K5, which I m using does slows down the app launch a bit, but it’s pretty much a 0.1 or 0.2 % lag, highly un noticeable, it typically runs 5 services in my system, which combined use about 20 MB RAM, now that may seem high for NAV but on my system with 512 MB RAM it’s not notable in Windows, 2D environment, I never go below 300 MB free RAM in 2D windows, although when browsing a lot of WebPages it goes down to 250 MB free RAM

Each game recommends that when U play the game U disable any Anti virus running in background, this is due to the reason that game is full of code running at all times, & if the AV is on, each code is examined on the fly which for game can be bad, U can have about 10% performance decrees, no matter which AV it is

If U do not use Internet, & do not use floppy or CDs to share files, then U don’t need a AV, it’s useless, there is no other way a virus can come to your PC. I use cable internet which is LAN based, when I m not using the net, I disable the LAN which disables my internet, also since I m not on Internet & disable the NAV2K5 Auto Protect, how else a virus can come to my system, if I use a CD while not connected to internet I simply enable the AV software, & scan it, after that disable it again before copying

Just as an example, take a CD & copy the files while your AV Auto protect is on, measure the time, then reboot to free up memory & this time copy again while the AV is off, U will see the files copy fast, the reason for this is that your AV software is examining each code & data on the fly while it is being copied which slows down a process

If U are paranoid about your system being slow due to an AV software, then here are a few measures U can use

1) Disable Auto protect of your AV if U R not connected to internet
2) Disable AV & end task all the services & exe that the AV is running when starting to play a game, this helps a lot
3) Enable your AV before inserting floppy & CD to be protected from Boot viruses on FAT32 Systems, scan it, if nothing is found then disable the AV & then copy

Now coming to the main thing NAV vs KAV, the list can go quite long so I m just writing the pros & cons of both, add more if U find any

NAV 2K5, pros

Most compatible, works with everything, reputable, standard in AV market, less user interaction required, easy to update via Live Update, quick delectation, protection from Internet worms & trozen before they enter with IWM, good for n00bs, archive scanning, eats about 3% CPU resources, fast individual file or few files scan, detects Adware & malware, trozans. Frees RAM automatically when required, in case of games, unpacks any setup exe on the fly & then scans inside, protects E-Mail & Office documents

NAV 2K5, cons

Slows app launching a bit, slows game about 5% when played with Auto protect on, to much RAM eating, not for systems with 128 MB RAM, unnotable on 256+ RAM based system, too many features are not used often, no way not to install a feature, but it can be disabled, really pain in the a** if uninstalled, as it leaves a lot of registry keys, which have to manually removed from a registry cleaning software, slow with full system scan, ADware & malware detection not up to the mark compared to Spybot or AD-Aware SE

KAV Personal Pro 5.012, pros

Less running services & low on RAM usage, good delectation engine & rate, low user interaction required, hourly updates for the Virus definition, less bloated as it comes with AV only, detects trozan & adwares, unpacks any setup exe on the fly & then scans inside with UPX, protects E-Mail & Office documents

More by Indyan, as he knows it better then me

KAV personal Pro 5.012, Cons

More user interaction then NAV 2K5, RAM usage can fluctuate pretty high, but then lowers, transparent scanning in the background, slows app launch a bit, slows games a bit, not the most compatible out there so there can be incompatibility cos it’s still new, not very reputable so low on user trust, not so good updating engine, slow individual & full system scan compared to NAV2k5, doesn’t scan every archive format, buggy with installed after un-installation of a previous AV software (this made me reinstall Windows)

No matter which AV U use, I prefer that U also use a firewall software with it like Sygate or Zone Alarm, with a good Adware removing software like Ad aware or spybot, the combo is unbeatable

I use NAV2K5 standard, with Sygate Personal firewall pro & Ad aware SE, I disable NAV IWM cos Sygate is better then IWM as firewall

If U have enough RAM & using NAV rite now then keep it, but if U reinstall Windows due to some reason, then before using NAV give KAV a try, U may like it

OP
S

sunnydiv

my experiance, kaspersky so so so so damn slow

notrton 5, didnt try yet

avg, fastest scanner i have ever seen

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
Panda Rules silent assasinator
me using it for some months after giving up on MAV
faster updates
and the best thing not resource hungry

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
me fully satisfied with NAV 2005... works fine with my 512 MB... and i hardly play games on my laptop!

never tried KAV... heard a lot about... thinking to tryout in hostel pc as i reach campus after vacs...

nice pros and cons counted by gx...

ice

In the zone
U guys didnt talk bout symantec corp. av 9.

Its their latest Corporate one , with the windows 3.1 look.. No BMP/Gifs, no eyecandy, email scanning, on the fly exe scanning, the works,

Doesnt carry a spyware detector, but most of us would just use spybot/ad-aware and be happy with them.

Live update is the Normal NAV one, i presume, but seems faster. Low on resources.

Last statistics.

I get 100fps in counter strike, with the AV running, and 98 while its scanning for virii. And 94 when i was DVD ripping and running a system scan.

If u guys want, i could post a few screenies.
A lot hasnt changed since version 8, except now it works better with OE.

OP
G

gxsaurav

What I m tryin here is not another NAV vs other thead or My AV is beTter thread, I m trying to bring in front the pros & cons of your AV, do no hide anything, write everything postive & negative that U like & don't like about your AV, just as I did

Norton has pre-scanner which scane before install which is good, which isn't available anywhere else

I have used Mcafee before so hre is what I think of that

Mcafee 8 Pro, Pros

Don't know any, comes with a firewall which is integrate, good engine, fast with full system scan,

Mcafee 8 Pro, cons

Realy Bad update engine, extremely slow as such, eats a lot of RAM like 32+ MB, slows app launch a lot, tries to install it's own software & bugs U for that

OP
G

gxsaurav

As I said earliee, point out the reasons of using a AV insted of other, some are doing it some are not, I like indyans post, as he pointed out pros of KAV over others

the name of this thread was changed as it was becoming a AV software comparision

ujjwal

Padawan
Well ... AVG

Pros
+ Low on resources
+ Good trojan detection
+ Small update files

Cons
- May not be as thorough as kaspersky or mcafee

Hmm ... i'll give symantec corporate AV a try once.

OP
G

gxsaurav

Good to point out these things for AVG Ujjwal

lavan

as I pointed out earlier, if U have RAM then NAV won't bug U

wORm

Journeyman
Mcafee for me.

I think AVG/NAV/Kaspersky/AVG/Panda have equally good detection capabilities. So I like to use Mcafee for the ease of use and automation. It updates automatically everyday, without fail. Scans the entire system everyday at 3:00 AM when the computer is idle. Minimum user input required.

BlAsTeR

Broken In
I will stick to mcafee .

Easy installation , Good look , Not much system resourses , Generally dont fail in detection , easy to work with.

So this makes me go with Mcafee

OP
G

gxsaurav

This was evident, as the features increse so does the RAM usage, NAV used to eat less RAM in the days of NAV 2K1, now there are more features so more RAM usage, thisis not soemthing to shout at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom