Which 7mp digital camera is the the best?

which 7mp dig cam is best?

• sony

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • canon

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • nikon

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
@Janita,
Wrong arguements? Beware of using such words. Well people tend to use such words when they can't justify their statements. When did you support your statements? Any sort of justification made? Atleast I gave give links and did support my statements. I was taking it in a positive way and went on to discuss with you guys. This is a forum, a place for discussion, a place to prove. Everyone have their own views. I think Zeiss is best. You think Canon's L series is best. The choice is left to you. Some feel that the Zeiss is contrastier. Zeiss has high color saturation than Canon. So for some it may feel like Canon produces soft pictures than Zeiss. It is individual perception. All eyes don't see the same way. Janita, you need to grow up to learn to discuss than giving lame excuses like that.
Enough is enough.. If someone feels discussion as 'wrong arguments', there is no point in discussing further.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
@kiran.rkk
just a few words
1.You can get any sort of link to website to support any of your lame arguements.
2.Try to find how many serious professionals prefer Carl Zeiss.
3.As pointed out by Cha@s,Zeiss gets some of their lenses manufactured by Cosina, a manufacturer well known for their cheap low quality independent lenses.
"Janita, you need to grow up to learn"
Yes , I am still trying to learn even after using SLRs and lenses for nearly three decades.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^
Okkk.
When did you support your arguements? You were always telling Leica is best makers of lens on the planet. That's it. Now why should I believe it? Did you provide any evidence? Nope. And what is this all about Serious priofessionals? If you have seen some professionals using Canon's, that doesn't mean all are using the same. Go around photographic forums on net. The Leica and Carl Zeiss debate issue never shows sign of ending.

I need to address the Cosina issue which you guys raised. Get your facts right first. Cosina, a reputed Japan-based company manufactures lenses for Zeiss. Japan are really good in lens making. And if you question Japan's quality standards, well - I can't answer you that! Cosina also makes lens for one more giant - Nikon. It is marketed by Nikon as Zeiss Ikon- one of the best in the industry. Not only Nikon, they also makes lenses for other brands too. So according to your's and chaos facts, all these brands are in trash bin and Canon stands on top. Sorry guys, you are fully biased! Didn't you ever know this in your 3 decades of photography? Bizzare! Sometimes just experience doesn't count. You need to be in touch with the latest happenings. Even though I am not havin experience in terms of decades, my 10 years avid photography and regular updates of happenings can say that.

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Chill out guys!

Ahhh... this thread got hijacked.... :grin:

Yes this is highly HIJACKED......................anyone know what's the demand of the highjackers where are they wanting to take this.

The typed text on these forums dont have the ability to convey the feelings :rolleyes:, thus making a discussion sound like an argument:mad: :mad: I did not answer his question bcoz the question to me did not sound right, hence gave him a clue that pixel is not the only thing you should look for in the camera, surely lenses count, surely the maximum F/no. counts too so there are many other factors which needs to be counted. There is no simple answer to this one.

Ch@0s

In the zone
kiran.rkk said:
^^^
Okkk.
When did you support your arguements? You were always telling Leica is best makers of lens on the planet. That's it. Now why should I believe it? Did you provide any evidence? Nope. And what is this all about Serious priofessionals? If you have seen some professionals using Canon's, that doesn't mean all are using the same. Go around photographic forums on net. The Leica and Carl Zeiss debate issue never shows sign of ending.

I need to address the Cosina issue which you guys raised. Get your facts right first. Cosina, a reputed Japan-based company manufactures lenses for Zeiss. Japan are really good in lens making. And if you question Japan's quality standards, well - I can't answer you that! Cosina also makes lens for one more giant - Nikon. It is marketed by Nikon as Zeiss Ikon- one of the best in the industry. Not only Nikon, they also makes lenses for other brands too. So according to your's and chaos facts, all these brands are in trash bin and Canon stands on top. Sorry guys, you are fully biased! Didn't you ever know this in your 3 decades of photography? Bizzare! Sometimes just experience doesn't count. You need to be in touch with the latest happenings. Even though I am not havin experience in terms of decades, my 10 years avid photography and regular updates of happenings can say that.

Cosina... reputed you gotta be kidding right? They mostly make bargain basement cheapo lenses mostly that are rebadged all over the place. Nikon makes its own top of the line lenses (the VR lenses) and doesn't depend on anyone. Maybe you should get ur facts straight. As I said before... Zeiss does not figure in the bags of most professionals simply cos they have very few good models and as usual cosina is a bit of a hit or miss.

Edit: It seems using Zeiss lenses on canons means using adapters which basically implies no autofocus... Enuf said :p.

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Ch@0s said:
Cosina... reputed you gotta be kidding right? They mostly make bargain basement cheapo lenses mostly that are rebadged all over the place. Nikon makes its own top of the line lenses (the VR lenses) and doesn't depend on anyone. Maybe you should get ur facts straight. As I said before... Zeiss does not figure in the bags of most professionals simply cos they have very few good models and as usual cosina is a bit of a hit or miss.

Edit: It seems using Zeiss lenses on canons means using adapters which basically implies no autofocus... Enuf said :p.

Oh! Now I am confirmed that you know nothing about photography and its updates.

Cosina is the successor to Nikō (or "Nikoh"), a company set up as a manufacturer of lenses in 1959. In 1966, it started to manufacture 35 mm compact cameras and 8 mm cine cameras, in 1968 it started a glassworks, and a year later started the manufacture of 35 mm film SLR cameras. Nikō changed its name to Cosina in 1973. (The first part of the name is a reference to the Koshi area within Nakano, where the founder came from; while the 'Na' represents Nakano.)

Although the name Cosina has previously appeared on compact and SLR cameras for 135 film, it is best known as a manufacturer of cameras and camera components for other brands. During the late 1970s, Cosina made a name for itself in 35 mm rangefinder cameras with a well-built, high quality fixed-lens camera using an aluminum body and a simple shutter-priority autoexposure system. This rangefinder camera was adopted as the basic chassis for several excellent camera models, including the Konica S3, Minolta 7sII, Revue 400se, and Vivitar 35ES.

Cosina is also well known for manufacturing 35 mm SLR cameras to the specifications of other manufacturers and distributors, such as the Yashica FX-3 (1979), FX-3 Super, and Super 2000, the Nikon FM-10 and FE-10, the Olympus OM-2000, and various Vivitar models. A Cosina design, the 1982 Cosina CX-2, was copied by the Russian optical firm LOMO as the popular Lomo LC-A.

In 1982 Cosina began to manufacture lenses in a variety of SLR manufacturers' lens mounts. In 1991 it started to produce glass molded aspheric lenses, and in 1996 plastic molded aspherical lenses. It began producing digital cameras in 1997.

At about this time, plans were started to produce a new 35 mm rangefinder camera, complete with wide and ultrawide lenses for the Leica screw mount, and also a basic camera -- similar to a rangefinder camera but without a rangefinder or viewfinder -- for mounting these. Having obtained the rights to the name Voigtländer from Ringfoto in Germany, Cosina introduced a Voigtländer 15 mm f/4.5 and 25 mm f/4 lens (neither of them rangefinder-coupled) and the Voigtländer Bessa L body in 1999. It quickly followed with a wider range of cameras (starting with the Bessa R, with viewfinder and rangefinder; and the Bessa T, with rangefinder but no viewfinder); and a set of lenses including the Heliar 12 mm f/5.6 lens, which on its introduction was the widest rectilinear lens ever marketed for still photography.

Cosina manufactures a Rollei-branded rangefinder camera, and is acknowledged to manufacture (and to have helped design) an Epson digital rangefinder camera as well. Its manufacture of a new Zeiss Ikon Leica bayonet mount rangefinder camera and Zeiss lenses in Leica bayonet mount was announced in October 2004, and it is already (April 2006) producing these.

Cosina made again a jump into notoriety in the photography world by manufacturing for Zeiss their six new ZF lenses for Nikon mount. ZF is a new range of interchangeable lenses for Nikon SLR cameras, both analog and digital. ZF lenses bring the highly acclaimed Carl Zeiss image quality to the Nikon SLR camera system, which has been the preferred equipment of millions of professional and ambitious amateur photographers for decades.

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosina

*www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9?Open

I HOPE you understand every BIT from the above quote.

You seem to be in your 'own' world of dream photography. Just lame statements. Absolute rubbish.

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
^^Duh... there's nothing over there in that article that refutes what I said... it makes camera bodies but makes sad lenses.... thats the truth. Try running cosina lens problems in google and you'll get a few million hits :p. Copy pasting from wiki without interpreting anything proves nothing and makes you look lamer than ever. I'm a newb to photography but u seem like someone who's no clue of what you are talking about. First things first... have you ever touched an SLR? I doubt it... just copy pasting from google will get you nowhere... get a life. Also for your info... I tested a 19-35mm cosina as well before i got my tokina 19-35 and needless to say it totally sucked. Major autofocus issues.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^^
wht? again lame statements. Can't you read too? Hey man.... are you aware of what you are speaking? Huh! Rubbish and more rubbish. Do you know forum etiquettes? When one gives source links, it is for the credability of the post......FORGET IT. It seems you will never learn anything.
Be in your OWN dream photography world. ALL THE BEST.

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Zeiss=Cosina=Leica=Rollie=Nikon=Konica=Minolta=Vivitar=Olympus=Voigtlander=Yashica=
More than enough. Is it not Ch@os?

K

krazyfrog

Actually i don't understand why anyone would need a 7 mpix camera, especially for home use. For home use a 4 mpix camera is more than enough, IMHO.
Btw, speaking about lenses, i've read that NASA uses Carl Zeiss lenses in all their manned space missions.

Last edited by a moderator:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
krazyfrog said:
Actually i don't understand why anyone would need a 7 mpix camera, especially for home use. For home use a 4 mpix camera is more than enough,

Well someone buys camera for creating images others buy for how many pixels it has......................there i s no reason why u need 7mp now, same month next year 2007 they would be talking 10MP & the story will remain continue.....................thats the way it is, marketing people have to sell it.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Yes, lf it is for general purpose snapshots, to be printed on post card or maxi size, 3 or 4 MP will suffice but if the purpose is to send pictures for competitions where a minimum size of 8x10 is generally required, higher megapixels will be needed, if you want to shoot wildlife maximum optical zoom will be useful, if it is sports fastest shutter speed and response time are essential, if you want to shoot in low light maximum aperture and higher ISO will be handy and so on and so on........

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
krazyfrog said:
Btw, speaking about lenses, i've read that NASA uses Carl Zeiss lenses in all their manned space missions.

Yes. The 50 mm Planar f/0.7 lens was created for NASA to take pictures of the dark side of the moon. It was also used for movie-making. NASA goes for Carl Zeiss! But..............!!! ;-)

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I went to Carrefour yesterday and checked the Canon Powershot A 710 and A 800. They're available for Dhs 1349 (rs 16.2k/$365) and Dhs 1499 (Rs 18k/$405) respectively inclusive of 512mb SD card whcih I get for "free". Price might reduce to 5% during the DSF.

Sony cams just looks good, the quality in Canon models were actually good and they're coslty as well. Looks like I'll buy A 710 or 800 only. Are they worth buying at the cost that I mentioned?

F2006

Right off the assembly line
which camera is the best means which is the best camera manufacturer right.
ok we all know sony but sorry to say not for digi cams.sony is known for hi-fi systems,the play stations,the walkmans,sony explod the car audio.and the sony wega.Nikkon is a strong manufacturer in the field of digi cams but due to limited service they are hard to repair if anything goes wrong.(i am not talking abt the metro cities but taking considiration of whole of india).so now we are left with Canon(delighting you always).when we say canon only one thing comes into mind the digi cams and camcorders.canon have made a significant research in bringing the digi cams into the market.they have got a experience of abt 70 years in the camera bussiness.apart from this my personal experience tells me that the canon is the best digi cam we can buy.any make or any model. i am saying this because i have used both the sony(DSC_W1) and canon(ixus 60).the picture clarity of canon is mind blowing.THE REST IS HISTORY
do not just say what others say.research and than say.

F2006

PEACE;)

OP
S

sidcool

Broken In
my friends say that sony is not doin good in the dig cam business(is it true?)leaving canon & nikon .as our friend F2006 says nikon does not have a good consumer coverage.So is canon a good choice for me as i need good features in my dig cam.

7Fred7

Right off the assembly line
krazyfrog: "Actually i don't understand why anyone would need a 7 mpix camera, especially for home use."

I need one. I'm not interested in producing 2 metre posters, but I do like to play with the image, and I regularly crop to obtain either the parts of particular interest, or a better balance. A low mp camera doesn't provide much scope for that.

Of course, megapixels aren't the only issue. Lens quality and CCD quality are equally important. Take a look at the Fujufilm FD series. The lens is good. The CCD is good for 6mp. But Fuji succumbed to market pressure. They changed from 6mp in the FinePix F31fd to 12mp in FinePix F50fd - using th same CCD. It was hardly worthwhile - too many pixels crammed onto the CCD result in overall quality loss, even with the higher resolution. Having said that, given suitably matching components, 12mp has terrific potential.

The whole problem is in the marketplace. People understand BIG megapixels, not the other issues, so that's what they go for. The manufacturers are obliged to either supply according to demand, or take a fall in their market share.

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
7Fred7 said:
The manufacturers are obliged to either supply according to demand, or take a fall in their market share.

I wish the manufactures be obliged to our demands (they are simply not) Instaed they create their own hype about more & more megapixels not many manufacture create a hype about the size & quality of those pixels.

The long pending demand in digital photography has been give us 6-10 megapixel camera which is full frame & has 16 bit image depth with bigger size pixel & S/N ratio very low with iso range 50-6400 costing $2000-$3000........................................has any manufacture obliged yet ?????

GeekyBoy said:
You posted in a thread which was abandoned for more than a year !!!
Highjackers are still around the corner:D:D:D dont worry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom