Which 7mp digital camera is the the best?

which 7mp dig cam is best?

• sony

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • canon

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • nikon

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
y specifically 7mp ? y dont u post ur budget so we can help u buy a digicam accordingly ?

megapixels are not the only thing that u should look for while buying a digicam.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I wonder why didn't you include Kodak ... Because v705 dual lens camera is a great 7MP camera from Kodak .... Just read the reviews on the internet

OP
S

sidcool

Broken In
well what i am looking for best in built memory,pic quality and economical price(according to features) my bugdet is from Rs. 20000 to 25000 .

OP
S

sidcool

Broken In
well what i am looking for best in built memory,pic quality and economical price(according to features) my bugdet is from Rs. 20000 to 25000 .

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Well we seriously need more detail before one can give u any advice. MP of a camera do matter when u are going for larger print sizes. But if you are not interested in printing then there are other cameras which have lower MPs but have great features.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sysfilez said:
the more number of mega pixels the bigger the printouts.
Very well created myth by those companies who want you to buy cameras every year.

Some time compare a 5MP cell phone camera with a 2 MP digicam with 1MP digi SLR & you will get to know if MP is what makes the print big or not.

Its the quality of pixels which matter not how many of them which matters.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
ranjan2001 said:
Very well created myth by those companies who want you to buy cameras every year.

Some time compare a 5MP cell phone camera with a 2 MP digicam with 1MP digi SLR & you will get to know if MP is what makes the print big or not.

Its the quality of pixels which matter not how many of them which matters.

It is indeed ... But when are you are talking about the top of the line companies like Sony, Kodak, Canon and Nikon. I don't think a 2 MP camera of any brand will beat the 5MP camera of the same or the other brand. megapixels DO matter otherwise you would be taking pictures in 640x480 resolution rather than 3072*2304 it's only that if it's the range of +-1MP then the lower resolution cam might be better than the higher res. But if there is a difference of over 2 MP in between two cameras I don't think the lower res camera can claim to have better quality than the higher res camera. Also mind you that some cameras like Kodak digitally enhance the photos WHILE you shoot them, so that they appear better than other cams.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
some cameras like Kodak digitally enhance the photos WHILE you shoot them
all cameras need to do that not only kodak, since the image is captured on CCD in single channel only, where as the output is required in 3 channel RGB.

I don't think the lower res camera can claim to have better quality than the higher res camera
Since I own 4 of the canon cameras I can claim that, try to understand this objectively.

THe CCD size remains constant, 2 yaers ago it contained only 6MP, today it contains 8MP, next year it will contain 10 MP just wait n watch it will soon contain 100MP......................now when u increase the pixel without increasing the size of CCD you need to reduce the size of pixel, thats where the problem is.

Its like a child has 1 bar of chocolate, he is told 10 will be better....well he gets 10 pieces of the same chocolate, its the number game which people are attracted to & the companies are playing it.

No one bothers about the quality of pixels bcoz of ignorance. The sony camera boasting 10MP resolution is one classic example of this, I can beat the results any time with my oldest 4 mp OBSELETE camera from canon bought 6 yrs ago.
Reason is simple the pixel size in 4mp is bigger which helps better tonal range to be captured in low light conditions, whereas 10MP sony will bring NOISE 50% in the same low light conditions.

My point is simple dont make decisions to buy camera on MP count, its like how much ram does thsi computer have? does that question sound right? no................... bcoz 1GB of cheap ram vs 512mb of compatiable ram will out proform the higher 1GB ram.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Perhaps you are right about CCD sizes. But can you provide some example of it ? I'm just curious ... Take same pictures from your different canon cameras and post them here.

And the enhancing thing you are saying is called conversion, I am talking about enhancing , changing the normal image. Like increasing the saturation of the images etc

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
And the enhancing thing you are saying is called conversion, I am talking about enhancing , changing the normal image. Like increasing the saturation of the images etc

All cameras record image in its native raw format & the image is captured in single channel, which is only dark & muddy black & white image, from this data the analog to digital convertor calulates the RGB value based on single channel (green) & has to make red & blue pixels, this is where all the enhancing R&B, tonal correction, saturation, sharpness etc is done as per the setting choosen in the camera & has to be done if you want jpeg images.

Cheaper camera dont allow you to save raw formats but they still capture in raw & raw files from any camera will out perform its own jpeg images. So its all about understanding pixels & its quality, if you do then you can easily do the same job with 6MP rather than a 10MP camera.

Will post some images when I am free, so you can see for yourself.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
@ranjan2001
Megapixel is not all but it matters much.
Processor is also very important.
CCD size is important. In case of full size (36mmx24mm) CCDs like in case of high end Digi SLR cameras like Canon EOS 1Ds it produces much better quality in addition to being able to use ordinary lenses without change in focal length. (Sorry, in case of Canon it is CMOS and not CCD)
Finally, not all sensors (CCDs) output in single channel as you said. The brand Sigma (reputed independent lens manufacturer) has (for the past few years) a sensor which outputs separate RGB. They call their CMOS sensor Foveon. In the case of their "SD9D" model the sensor is Foveon X3 CMOS (3.54 million pixels x 3)
See the link below
*www.dpreview.com/news/0202/02021102foveonx3tech.asp

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I recommend Sony Cybershot DSCW70 7MP Digital Camera

Features:

7.2 Megapixel Super HAD CCD
Large 2.5"1 LCD Screen
Simple Controls, Function Guide
High Sensitivity Mode
Carl Zeiss 3X Optical/2X Digital Zoom/6X Total Zoom
Stamina Battery Power
14X Smart Zoom Feature
Capture Images In-Camera
Memory Stick Duo Media

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
The brand Sigma (reputed independent lens manufacturer) has (for the past few years) a sensor which outputs separate RGB. They call their CMOS sensor Foveon.

hahha I indeed forgot that people buy this camera too & yes this does not record images in single channel, it does RGB composite developed by Faveon.

Some 6 years ago I had seen a demo of this sensor costing 16 lakhs & it never saw the light of the day, sigma is written off from the commercial market inspite of having technically advance sensor which proves a point that commercial viability of technology is quite important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom