Which 7mp digital camera is the the best?

which 7mp dig cam is best?

• sony

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • canon

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • nikon

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Where and what cam to buy?

I'm planning to buy a Digicam. This Dubai Shopping festival is around the corner as well. Even in the GITEX promotions, I saw Nikon and Canon 6 MP models (I don't know the name of the models) for Dhs 1000 (~ Rs 12,000) with 1GB/512MB card and Epson Photo Printer. Sony 7/8 MP model was costing around Dhs 1,450 (~ Rs. 17,000 - 17,500). Are these cams cheap? We'll be getting similar type of offers during DSF as well. Can I go for them?

Now my cousin is going to Chennai (via Dubai where he'll be waiting for over 5-6 hours for the Emirates conmnecting flight to Chennai). So I want to know if cams are cheap in USA, Dubai or in India? I've no idea abt the rates of various cams in India.

I was also thinking that higher the MP, better the cam and the prints. This thread dispelled that myth. :D

I don't care about the brand whether it's Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fujifilm or Kodak.. I want to buy a good cam with the picture stabilization thing, good quality in low lights as well and should last long. I'm ready to spend upto Dhs 1500 (~ Rs 18,500 / $425).

Suggestions guys.... Also where to buy? In Chennai, New York or in Dubai?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Sony, Nikon and Canon are all reputed brands. I like Sony for using 'Carl Zeiss' lens, unargueably the best in lens manufacturers.

I recommend Sony Cybershot DSC-W70

*img244.imageshack.us/img244/7602/dscnew5sb2.jpg

*img247.imageshack.us/img247/5361/dscnew6qp7.jpg

Basic Features

7.2-megapixel CCD.
3x zoom lens (equivalent to a 38-114mm lens on a 35mm camera).
Variable digital Smart Zoom (up to 14x at VGA resolution), or 2x Precision Digital zoom.
Real-image optical viewfinder.
2.5-inch color LCD monitor.
Automatic and Program exposure modes.
Built-in flash with five modes and an intensity adjustment.
58MB internal memory.
Sony Memory Stick Duo slot (no card included).
USB 2.0 computer connection. for extremely fast transfers
Power from one rechargeable LiIon battery pack, charger included.
Software for Mac and PC.

Special Features

High Sensitivity, Twilight, Twilight Portrait, Snow, Beach, Landscape, and Soft Snap modes.
Movie recording mode (with sound).
Multi-Burst slow motion mode (16 frames at up to 30 frames/second) and Burst continuous shooting mode.
Email (VGA) modes.
Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 1/8 sec in Auto mode; 1/1,000 to one second in Program mode, and 1/1,000 to two seconds in Twilight mode. Aperture range from f/2.8 to f/13, depending on zoom position.
Creative Color Mode menu.
Image Sharpness and Contrast adjustments.
Self-timer for delayed shutter release.
Macro (close-up) lens adjustment.
Spot, Center-Weighted, and Multi-Metering modes.
Adjustable AF area, two AF modes plus manual mode with five distance settings.
Auto ISO setting or 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1,000 ISO equivalents.
White balance (color) adjustment with six options.
DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) and PictBridge printing compatibility.

It's price in India is around Rs14500/-. Your budget of Rs18500 is too high for a 7MP Camera! You can stick to 7MP camera unless untill you don't want to print a mega poster of the snap. I will assure you that even with this one you will shoot at 3MP mode. At 7MP mode, the each mage size may go upto 10MB!

Regarding purchase, Dubai is a good option than US. If I was you, I would rather purchase in India considering its decent price.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
"I like Sony for using 'Carl Zeiss' lens, unargueably the best in lens manufacturers."

Carl Zeiss is good but have you heard of the Canon lenses of L, IS and USM series?

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
janitha said:
"I like Sony for using 'Carl Zeiss' lens, unargueably the best in lens manufacturers."

Carl Zeiss is good but have you heard of the Canon lenses of L, IS and USM series?

Well, I would have never quoted that statement if I didn't know about the Canon's L series. Amoung these two Carl Zeiss scores more. Seeing is believing right? Here is the proof!

*www.16-9.net/lens_tests/1740.html
*www.16-9.net/ultrawides/

janitha

Wise Old Owl
@kiran.rkk
The answer is quite simple.
It is childish to compare quality of a zoom with that of fixed focal lens.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Now I would say if your Canon 17-40mm produces such a horrible shot @21mm, better stay away from it! What is the need of such lens that specify range as 17-40mm? Good digital Camera's under only optical zoom will never produce such huge variations. They are manufactured to handle optical zoom in the specified focal length zone. Fact is fact. Whether you take it or ignore it in a childish way is left to you.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Any body who knows the basics of photography knows that the fixed focal length ones give better quality, the main reason being there are less no. of lens elements. Professionals prefer them.
Secondly vast majority of greatest photographers the world over prefer the L series ones and many hire it when they cant afford to buy.
Third, do you think a 17-40mm will perform equally at 17mm and 40mm?
(Sorry, we are deviating from the initial post.)

Tushar.bar

Journeyman
i used canon s3is its good 4 20k ~25k , 6mp, 12x Optical zoom, Rotatable LCD, Record video with streo sound 640x 480 @ 30 fps or 320x240 @ 60 fps
Direct movie botton and other exciting feature(google 4 it)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Each has various models with different specifications including built in memory. Further the built in memory is not that important, with memory prices so low nowadays.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
janitha said:
Any body who knows the basics of photography knows that the fixed focal length ones give better quality, the main reason being there are less no. of lens elements. Professionals prefer them.
Secondly vast majority of greatest photographers the world over prefer the L series ones and many hire it when they cant afford to buy.
Third, do you think a 17-40mm will perform equally at 17mm and 40mm?
(Sorry, we are deviating from the initial post.)

Digital Camera's have improved a lot. No. of lens elements? For obtaining a optical zoom of 3X, a manufacturer need not think so much. I wonder what made you think Optical zoom reduces clarity drastically! Certainly not to the extent of shots produced in the review. Go through some major photography reviews, then you will come to know which is better, L or Zeiss.
It's very funny you say that a lens of 17-40mm focal length can't handle just 21mm! And now you want to clarify regarding 17 and 40 mm shots! How much difference does it make between 17 and 21mm? If this little difference produces such unfocused image, I believe it is not worth comparing with Zeiss lens.

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
sidcool said:
well what i am looking for best in built memory,pic quality and economical price(according to features) my bugdet is from Rs. 20000 to 25000 .
get ur self a canon S3IS, its a very good one. well u can compare ur buy with other cameras @ www.dpreview.com its one of the best sites regarding digi cams.
pls do let us know wat u finally bought..

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
kiran.rkk said:
Digital Camera's have improved a lot. No. of lens elements? For obtaining a optical zoom of 3X, a manufacturer need not think so much. I wonder what made you think Optical zoom reduces clarity drastically! Certainly not to the extent of shots produced in the review. Go through some major photography reviews, then you will come to know which is better, L or Zeiss.
It's very funny you say that a lens of 17-40mm focal length can't handle just 21mm! And now you want to clarify regarding 17 and 40 mm shots! How much difference does it make between 17 and 21mm? If this little difference produces such unfocused image, I believe it is not worth comparing with Zeiss lens.

Looks like you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all any sort of zoom lens is a slower lens than a prime lens cos you need far larger number of lens elements to make a zoom compared to a prime. Since the prime can be optimized for a particular focal length, the construction is a lot simpler. I have 3 lenses on my EOS 350D... a canon USM 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, a Tokina 19mm-35mm f/3.5-4.5 and a canon 50mm f/1.8 prime. The 50mm is the best of the lot by a mile... and its also the cheapest. Both the zooms costed around 250$ whereas the 50mm costs just 90$. Why you ask? Since the easiest lens in the world to construct is a 50mm prime. Similarly, any other faster prime will beat a zoom. So the link you provided is completely dubious. If the dude compared a prime to prime, it'd be sensible. But comparing an F4 zoom to an F/2.5 prime is lame. Also those images aren't focussed either... if thats all he can do, he shud donate his 17-40mm F4L to me :p.

Secondly, don't compare lame digicam lenses with a canon L series. The latter are some of the best lenses you can get on this planet plain and simple. Carl Zeiss neither provides the range nor the quality of Canon L lenses overall.

Thirdly, coming to the question of megapixel, it really doesn't matter. First look at the sensor size, the lens thats supplied in the digicam and the kind of images it produces, what is the low light performance like? The 3X or 5X or 100X optical zoom doesn't matter either cos a point and shoot will produce horrible images at those extreme zooms.

@janitha: Dude you were right in all but one counts... All canon DSLRs are CMOS not CCD.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
^^^
It seems you have no clue of what I am pointing to. You have totally mislead my quote in terms of cost. It is obvious that zoom lens is costlier than the prime ones.

If you were aware of the current development in the cams, you should know that the zoom lens manufacturing have changed a lot. Days have gone when manufacturers used mechanical couplings in the lens. Due to this kinda mechanical mode, the zoom lens were producing drastic images compared to primes. Now-a-days manufactures use USM (ultrasonic focusing motor) that gives you high speed autofocusing and precise control of zoom. So there is not much difference in shots produced by these with primes. Now, when I say that don't start comparing shots produced at extreme limits say 50mm (for a 28-50mm USM lens) with that of 50mm prime. But I will assure you that at 28mm you will get a extremly clear shot. Even in the review, you could see not much variation. The shot was taken at 21mm, very well with in the limits of 17-40mm range. At this range you should expect a good shot. But it didn't. Canon USM lenses do have this problem. They won't produce crisp sharp pictures with the lens wide open. But it does produce outstanding center performance. So a good choice for crop camera's. In the review there is a possibility of out-of-focus. But do you think reviewer doesn't know manual focusing? Come on, since you own a Canon, you can't be biased to such a extent to call the review as dubious.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Its obvious from your ignorance that you've never used an SLR... USM has existed since early 90's and its not a new phenomenon. Also the zoom level is controlled by hand not by the motor. Its only focussing thats done by the motor. Simply put, a zoom is meant for convenience and between similarly priced zooms and primes, its an absolute no contest. Primes will absolutely walk all over zooms. About canons having issues wide open, all lenses are softer wide open compared to higher apertures. You make it sound as though its a canon only phenomenon. I do concede the fact that canons are not the best at the edges, however nothing beats them in center performance. Also the lens is not wide open, the camera's aperture is :p.

Zeiss lenses are actually assembled by cosina... a maker with dubious quality control. There's a fair chance that you could get a lemon. True they do have some outstanding models but that does not mean every single Zeiss lens is good and you can't generalize it way down to a point and shoot sony. Its the same with all lens makers... they have a few crappy ones in their reportoire. The canon 18-55 that is bundled as the kit lens with the rebels is absolute rubbish. I'm not biased towards canon... the whole world says the L series is the best range of lenses overall other than this particular website. However it doesn't really matter cos neither me nor the thread creator can afford to own one so all this is meaningless rumblings.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Poor guy he must be reading this & wondering Why did he ask that simple question.:D:D:D:D

Hey guys pixel matter for those who buy camera for pixels alone, to a photographer what matters is the image, surely its created of pixels but the image speaks ............................not the pixels.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
@Ch@os
I congratulate you for your patience in explaining things correctly to a person who persistently and adamantly continues with his evidently wrong arguments.
I was fed up and stopped.
BTW did you not see the following sentence in my post?
(Sorry, in case of Canon it is CMOS and not CCD)

Actually it was Canon who started using it in DSLRs at a time when CMOS was considered a "cheap and low quality alternative to CCD with the only advantage of lower power consumption".

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Ahhh... this thread got hijacked.... :D

Any more suggestions to what I asked in the first post of this page...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom