What's the recommended settings for uTorrent to utilize full speed?

I am on a 1.8 mbps connection and sometimes I see that uTorrent isn't utilizing my full speed even when there a lot of seeders! I found yesterday that it should be configured properly. Looked at Preferences under the app but other than the option number of connections and all I don't see much else which I should change.

Could anyone guide me configuring uTorrent properly? The version I am using is uTorrent Pro 3.4.2.

Cheers.

OP
B

black_mamba

Banned
Yeah I know that, still even with the so called best of torrents I can't quite manage full speed!
That's why I am asking, whether articles like this has any value to them or not, or shall I follow it?

Optimizing µTorrent (or BitTorrent) For Speed

PS : One more thing, could anyone tell me how to reset settings of an app? I have modified some settings of uTorrent but I want to go back to stock settings. There's no Clear Data like in Android, so I don't know...!

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Utilising the available bandwidth totally for torrent alone is probably a bad idea as this almost kills it for any other use.

The suggestions are to limit your upload to around 80 - 85 % of actual bandwidth (as determined by Speedtest) and download to 85 - 90 % of download speed.

Limit the number of simultaneously active downloads to 2 or 3.

Total number of connections to 400 or less (all)

These are just some pointers. You would have to do some trial and error for the best values for your individual setup. There are many guides available online. But try to avoid the overly aggressive ones.

OP
B

black_mamba

Banned
Utilising the available bandwidth totally for torrent alone is probably a bad idea as this almost kills it for any other use.

The suggestions are to limit your upload to around 80 - 85 % of actual bandwidth (as determined by Speedtest) and download to 85 - 90 % of download speed.

Limit the number of simultaneously active downloads to 2 or 3.

Total number of connections to 400 or less (all)

These are just some pointers. You would have to do some trial and error for the best values for your individual setup. There are many guides available online. But try to avoid the overly aggressive ones.
Bad idea? I don't think so mate. Cause when I am in need to use the bandwith for other purposes I simply turn down the download speed.

And thanks for the pointers. That's exactly what I am asking. I have only changed two settings so far, made all the connection number to 500, enabled changed the protocol encryption option to forced, and that's all. I got this settings from a game uploader in TPB.

I want to follow a wise guide, but how could I figure out which guide is okay and which guides are overly aggressive I don't know!

PS : I found this option called Setup Guide under uTorrent's option, it automatically detects your upload and download speed and sets the recommended stuffs for you, hmm :| Never noticed this option before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom