Whats the difference between ASP & ASP.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

help_me

Broken In
hey i need to update an ASP site.. and m searching got the tutorials of the same.. but while searchin for the same i game across ASP.NET.. and where ever i c i find the same.. so is there a Diff.is ASP and ASP.NET..and if yes wht is it.. ??? i also chked the msdn site but it also contains the same ASP.NET thing.. :-(

OP
H

help_me

Broken In
hey thankz for the link...

so does tht means tht ASP is outdated.. well i was thinkin of making a site using ASP.. so shd i switch over to ASP.NET .. or is ASP okie..

alanpaladka

Journeyman
No. ASP is not outdated. You can use ASP. But ASP.NET has many advanced features and its better than ASP. :D
You may also use PHP as its better than ASP :D

OP
H

help_me

Broken In
okie... but PHP is for linux i suppose...

and in ASP we can use either java script or VB Script is it the same in ASP.NET.. ??

Aseem Nasnodkar

In the zone
PHP rox man. ASP is too lame to be used. You have to install sooooo many components and have to pay for them. While php there is huge resource on net all fro free. While it is much more powerful, easy to learn if u knw C. and the best is that it works on windows and linux both. Whilw ASP works only on windows and you need to install a soft from chillisoft or smthing crappy like that to makee it work on linux. So more bucks gone!

#/bin/sh

Journeyman
Active Server Pages (ASP) is Microsoft's server-side technology for dynamically-generated web pages that is marketed as an add-on to Internet Information Services (IIS).
Each object corresponds to a group of frequently-used functionality useful for creating dynamic web pages. In ASP 3.0 there are six such built-in objects: Application, ASPError, Request, Response, Server and Session. Session, for example, is a cookie-based session object that maintains variables from page to page. Application Test Center is also available for load testing.

Most ASP pages are written in VBScript, but any other Active Scripting engine can be selected instead by using the @Language directive. JScript (Microsoft's implementation of ECMAScript) is the other language that is usually available. PerlScript (Perl) and others are available as third-party installable Active Scripting engines.

ASP.NET is a set of web development technologies marketed by Microsoft. Programmers can use it to build dynamic web sites, web applications and XML web services. It is part of Microsoft's .NET platform and is the successor to Microsoft's Active Server Pages (ASP) technology.
Even though ASP.NET takes its name from Microsoft's old web development technology, ASP, the two differ significantly. Microsoft has completely rebuilt ASP.NET, based on the Common Language Runtime (CLR) shared by all Microsoft .NET applications. Programmers can write ASP.NET code using any of the different programming languages supported by the .NET framework, usually (proprietary) Visual Basic.NET, JScript .NET, or (standardized) C#, but also including open-source languages such as Perl and Python. ASP.NET is faster because the entire web site is precompiled to one or a few DLL files on a web server and the web site runs faster compared to the previous scripting technology.

OP
H

help_me

Broken In
hey now thtz called an info.. thanks #/bin/sh & others too.. so i concluded tht instead of making a site in ASP i'll go for ASP.NET.. well if u have more.. just post it .. thankz again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom