Whats the difference between a PC & a MAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
lolz...No bady asked his help here. Nobady asked him to poke his nose cos MacOS X is running on PC, & nobody is waiting for him to read it....wonder why he is so much tensed & bothered. :-"

mav3

Tomorrow is zeeshan's exam, we might get time on sunday if he returns on time.

And you are right, even when he is not waiting for, he will post here. Donno what grudge he got against Macs, opps i mean PCs :D. Arya, do us a favor & plz do not post in this thread. The purpose of this thread is over, to show the difference between PC & Mac (hardware & software wise)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
well Arya n Nepcker there certainly is A Windows(Win) key is MOST(99%) of PC keyboard these days .

also the equivalent of command key in Mac OS X in PC keyboard is not Control but Win key :D , also man could u help me decipher the symbols displayed for shortcuts i can't seem to understand which symbol understands for which key ?

i got the hang of *www.danrodney.com/mac/img/menusym-command.gif which stood for win key , can't get nything else

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
well Arya n Nepcker there certainly is A Windows(Win) key is MOST(99%) of PC keyboard these days .

also the equivalent of command key in Mac OS X in PC keyboard is not Control but Win key :D , also man could u help me decipher the symbols displayed for shortcuts i can't seem to understand which symbol understands for which key ?

i got the hang of *www.danrodney.com/mac/img/menusym-command.gif which stood for win key , can't get nything else
I hope you guys can see the difference between a biased person and one who isn't. If it was gx_saurav posting this, he would have said something to the effect of "what crap is macos! win key is called command and all have stupid sybmol... apple not do anything rite"

Anyway, Zeeshan - the direct equivalent of the Command key is indeed the Windows key according to the placement of the keys on keyboards. But in terms of usage, the Ctrl key on normal keyboards performs most of the functions of the Command key on Apple keyboards. For example, 'Command + C' is copy, 'Command + V' is paste, 'Command + N' is new, 'Command + S' is save, etc. :)
Therefore, in your case, you have to use Windows key for most of the shortcuts in Mac OS X instead of the Ctrl key. You'll find this very irritating if you keep switching between the two operating systems, I guess. You can use some keyboard re-mapping utility if you wish to.

As for the symbols, please visit this page:
Don Rodney - Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts
The first item on the page is a guide to the Mac's menu symbols. :)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aryayush said:
Anyway, Zeeshan - the direct equivalent of the Command key is indeed the Windows key according to the placement of the keys on keyboards. But in terms of usage, the Ctrl key on normal keyboards performs most of the functions of the Command key on Apple keyboards. For example, 'Command + C' is copy, 'Command + V' is paste, 'Command + N' is new, 'Command + S' is save, etc. :)
Therefore, in your case, you have to use Windows key for most of the shortcuts in Mac OS X instead of the Ctrl key. You'll find this very irritating if you keep switching between the two operating systems, I guess. You can use some keyboard re-mapping utility if you wish to.

As for the symbols, please visit this page:
Don Rodney - Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts
The first item on the page is a guide to the Mac's menu symbols. :)

ahh , now that's what i really needed , but there's one more prob in Mac help system it's completely online , if they made it offline or still even made a package available for download(i dunno if it's available) then it would be much easier to browse coz no matter how much fast internet u have lags r still irritating

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aryayush said:
It is not online.

well i found out wat's da prob , when user is online it uses latest online doc which i thought that the help was completely online :)

also , i solved problem of Ctrl , Command key in Mac i changed key modifier settings in Mac so now Control functions as command n command as control , thus now i can use Ctrl-C , Ctrl-V n all other shortucts in Mac too , :D :D :D

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ohk arya 1 question .. iv seen mac keyboards with usb conx can they work on normal pc with mac on it?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I have my doubts. Never tried that out.

But I think they do. :)

I'll check it out...

@Zeeshan Quireshi, was the option there is the OS itself?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
ohk arya 1 question .. iv seen mac keyboards with usb conx can they work on normal pc with mac on it?

They are normal USB Keyboard so they will work. Option key switches to alt & Command key switches to Win key.

In case you have some key mapping problem, you can use any keyboard modifier application to make changes to the key layout.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
aryayush said:
@Zeeshan Quireshi, was the option there is the OS itself?

yeah in keyboard prefeernces under modifier keys , there i interchanged functions of ctrl and command key

Also i just tried out Expose , man it's great , i'll post a video of it soon :)

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
WOW! Will this damn operating system never stop amazing me! There is a limit to how many functions you can build directly into the operating system. I'm surprised the third party market for the Mac is flourishing at such a rate given the number of features Apple has bundled by default. Cool! :D

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well ARyayush i tried XCode n i must say it's not even close to what you can achieve from Visual Studio , really .

here r my 2 Cents on some XCode glitches :

1. It does not have code completion in the real sense , it only completes names of variables YOU have defined in ur program , it does not complete Standard or Custom Function names , inbuilt functions , header files , namespaces , etc , etc .

2. it's build time is very slow(expected ass GCC is considered one of the slowest compilers)

i'll give a review as soon as i finish reading teh inro in da manual n spend some time with it so that i get used to it n the review's a corect one .

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
if u ask any MAC user he will consider u nothing less than a loser for using Windows (they automatically become Apple Salesman the momnet they buy their MACs)

The dead true ..........LOL

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
Well ARyayush i tried XCode n i must say it's not even close to what you can achieve from Visual Studio , really .

here r my 2 Cents on some XCode glitches :

1. It does not have code completion in the real sense , it only completes names of variables YOU have defined in ur program , it does not complete Standard or Custom Function names , inbuilt functions , header files , namespaces , etc , etc .

2. it's build time is very slow(expected ass GCC is considered one of the slowest compilers)

i'll give a review as soon as i finish reading teh inro in da manual n spend some time with it so that i get used to it n the review's a corect one .
I have no experience using XCode. I am really good at programming but it's been a long time since I wrote my last line of code. :(

But I do know that most Mac programs look and work exceptionally well, much better than their Windows counterparts. Adobe Creative Suite 3 is the most recent example. And every cross-platform developer I know seems to believe that XCode is better for programming.

Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
But I do know that most Mac programs look and work exceptionally well, much better than their Windows counterparts. Adobe Creative Suite 3 is the most recent example. And every cross-platform developer I know seems to believe that XCode is better for programming.

With XCode you can make application only for MacOS X

If you want to make an application for MacOS, no matter what language you use, you will need to make it in XCode if the language is supported, you do not have any other choice.

Obviously if there is only one API, applications will be good just like those for a Gaming console. a 200 MHz GPU runs graphics of Geforce 6 class in PS2.

.net on the other hand supports many langauges & can cross compile for any platform, be it X86 or PowerPC.

So, which one seems better? Wise man can decide.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Yes, there is. When Apple had introduced a Mac-only key on macs. Microsoft said "Macs should not have such a key". Guess what they did ten years later -- they added the Windows key to Windows-brand keyboards.

Try not keeping so many windows open, or change the preferences to not remember open windows. It could be one large complex file that taking a long time to render. Try deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Xcode.plist. This might certainly help. If you have some complaints on XCode, use the following e-mail address to contact Apple: xcode-feedback@group.apple.com

Check out *lists.apple.com/archives/Xcode-users/2005/Jul/msg00711.html
This might help.

If you have any complaints, just send a e-mail to Apple. They'll usually reply you back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom