what's important, gpu or cpu....???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
G

grv750

Broken In
guys i've heard that there are heating issues with the phenom II 9** processors...........
I live in delhi and dont have an ac installed in my room.
Keeping in mind the tempratures during summer here would it be good idea to go with 965 BE.....??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
guys i've heard that there are heating issues with the phenom II 9** processors...........
Keeping in mind the tempratures during summer here would it be good idea to go with 965 BE.....??
what did I write above?

But yes, you will have to buy a CPU cooler like Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (Rs. 1300) with Phenom II 955 BE.

Reason? AMD's cooler is cheap, but for working well it gets noisy.

I have Intel i5-2500k. Its cooler is also cheap, but because it NEVER worked well, so never got noisy. So, I also bought a cooler from Cooler Master.

My i5-2500k had heating issues as well. The reason why I purchased a custom cooler.

sukesh1090

Adam young
Re: heating issues with phenom cpus.....???

^^
nothing like that but its cooler noise is very loud but if you don't have any problem with that then you are good to go.btw you won't be able to overclock with stock cooler but it is capable of withstanding 965 at stock speed.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
so can i find phenom 965 BE without the stock fan and buy another cpu fan....??
Just buy these. :)

Phenom II X4 955 BE or 965 BE
Cooler Master Hyper TX3

You don't get CPU without stock heatsink fan. They are in the box. No one sells them lose.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
so guys....what am i supposed to do with that stock cooler....??? Can i sell it somewhere?
Also i heard about something called oem products.....?
Aren't they without fans...??

Cilus

laborare est orare
First of all, don't just jump to a CPU cooler. 1st buy the Processor and use it with the Stock fan. Although louder, Phenom II has a far better Stock cooler when compared to Intel offerings. It is actually copper pipe based and keeps the CPU really cool. After using it for some times, if you feel that there are high noise level or heating issues then get an after market cooler.
The noise problem is actually mainly with a certain batch of Phenom II 955 processor's cooler. AFAIK, 965 is quite quieter than 966.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
AFAIK, if you ever need to RMA your CPU, you will need to return the stock cooler too.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
First of all, don't just jump to a CPU cooler. 1st buy the Processor and use it with the Stock fan. Although louder, Phenom II has a far better Stock cooler when compared to Intel offerings. It is actually copper pipe based and keeps the CPU really cool. After using it for some times, if you feel that there are high noise level or heating issues then get an after market cooler.
The noise problem is actually mainly with a certain batch of Phenom II 955 processor's cooler. AFAIK, 965 is quite quieter than 966.
did you meant that 965 cooler is quieter than 955's......??

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
ok guys.......so 965 it is.
Please suggest mobos now.
I've heard something called 8pin cpu connector and that everyone should consider buying a mobo with that as it keeps the cpu cool.
Also i've read that gigabyte mobos by default provide higher voltages to the cpu.......and that's why so many heating problems with 965 BE......
Please clarify.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also i've read that gigabyte mobos by default provide higher voltages to the cpu.......and that's why so many heating problems with 965 BE......
Please clarify.
yeah. That is true. Simply reduce "Vcore" through BIOS. Easy stuff.

I did it for my i5-2500k as well.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
what about the mobo guys......??
Pls suggest something with it's nehru place price.....
It would be good if i could crossfire on it later.
Then i would think about getting a 6850 and save some cast and get another 6850 after 5 or 6 months rather than getting a 6950 now......
Would it be good idea??
What do you guys think...??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ No one crossfires later. Either you crossfire on day #1 or within a month. Otherwise you don't.

By the time you'll think of Crossfiring, faster "single GPU" cards will be available for cheap.

And single GPU > MultiGPU. Multiple GPU drivers can be buggy. Not a smooth gaming experience.

OP
G

grv750

Broken In
^ No one crossfires later. Either you crossfire on day #1 or within a month. Otherwise you don't.

By the time you'll think of Crossfiring, faster "single GPU" cards will be available for cheap.

And single GPU > MultiGPU. Multiple GPU drivers can be buggy. Not a smooth gaming experience.

I think you are right ico.....will follow your advice and would get an hd 6950.
But what about the motherboard.....???
If not crossfire,pls suggest me one with usb 3.0......and also under rs5000

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy this: Flipkart: ASUS M5A97 Motherboard: Motherboard

Otherwise spend more and buy this: Flipkart: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard: Motherboard

What about ga 880ga ud3h....??
Not available in Delhi. Hardly available anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom