What will be good for me: 32-bit OR 64-bit OS?

digitaltab

In the zone
Hi all, I want to know what is the practical advantage of 64-bit over 32-bit, and Are 64-bit OS and apps require more RAM ?

I hav 3 GB ram and specs as shown in my signature, should i go for a 64-bit OS? Will the games (MAX PAYNE 3 , BF3, etc.) run as smooth as they run now on my 32-bit OS OR I'll have to upgrade my ram for such smooth experience?

motive is gaming... so please clarify whether i should go for 64-bit or not as i don't want to sacrifice gaming performance, and i am not in a state to upgrade ram to use 64-bit OS...

thanks..

Flash

Lost in speed
I guess, this will answer your query.

Advantages when you install a 64-bit version of Windows Vista
  • Increased memory support beyond that of the 4-GB addressable memory space that is available in a 32-bit operating system
  • Increased program performance for programs that are written to take advantage of a 64-bit operating system
  • Enhanced security features
Though it talks about Vista, it'll be common across versions.

Hrishi

Stick with 32 Bit OS , unless you are planning to upgrade RAM in future to atleast 4GB.
64BIT has better graphic performance as well , but only if you have ample resources for that.

And since 64BIT will use more RAM than 32BIt , so you will find less available/free memory while playing games in 64BIT compared to 32BIT.

gameranand

Living to Play
If you have 4GB or more RAM then 64bit is essential if not then you can use any one of them. Do as per your wish, it won't make any difference at all. :)

OP
digitaltab

digitaltab

In the zone
thanks all for the explanations... this info was all I needed because on many sites it was given that 64-bit provides kernel support, digital driver signing etc. bla bla bla but nobody mentioned what will happen to gaming on a 3gb ram system... so thanks v much!!!

mod may close this thread now..

frankeric

Journeyman
hi brother stick with 32 bit because its lighter work perfect with you current ram and most important thing most of the software not work with 64 bit.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
because on many sites it was given that 64-bit provides kernel support, digital driver signing etc. bla bla bla but nobody mentioned what will happen to gaming on a 3gb ram system

64-bit OS will need 64-bit drivers...
as u have a Radeon Card then u shud install 32-bit Drivers as u have 3GB RAM

if u r planning to upgrade RAM 4GB or more then definitely u shud upgrade to 64bit OS.

in terms of gaming u won't see any performance difference until & unless u read reviews (32bit vs 64bit) or see live demos of both system.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks all for the explanations... this info was all I needed because on many sites it was given that 64-bit provides kernel support, digital driver signing etc. bla bla bla but nobody mentioned what will happen to gaming on a 3gb ram system... so thanks v much!!!

mod may close this thread now..

this is what you ( and many other ) are looking for ;-)
Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM? : Introduction

Hrishi

I came across this on Wikipedia.
A common misconception is that 64-bit architectures are no better than 32-bit architectures unless the computer has more than 4 GB of random access memory.[21] This is not entirely true:

Some operating systems and certain hardware configurations limit the physical memory space to 3 GB on IA-32 systems, due to much of the 3–4 GB region being reserved for hardware addressing; see 3 GB barrier; 64-bit architectures can address far more than 4 GB. However, IA-32 processors from the Pentium II onwards allow for a 36-bit physical memory address space, using Physical Address Extension (PAE), which gives a 64 GB physical address range, of which up to 62 GB may be used by main memory; operating systems that support PAE may not be limited to 4GB of physical memory, even on IA-32 processors. However, drivers and other kernel mode software, particularly older versions, may not be compatible with PAE.
Some operating systems reserve portions of process address space for OS use, effectively reducing the total address space available for mapping memory for user programs. For instance, 32-bit Windows reserves 1 or 2 GB (depending on the settings) of the total address space for the kernel, which leaves only 3 or 2 GB (respectively) of the address space available for user mode. This limit is very much higher on 64-bit operating systems.
Memory-mapped files are becoming more difficult to implement in 32-bit architectures as files of over 4 GB become more common; such large files cannot be memory-mapped easily to 32-bit architectures—only part of the file can be mapped into the address space at a time, and to access such a file by memory mapping, the parts mapped must be swapped into and out of the address space as needed. This is a problem, as memory mapping, if properly implemented by the OS, is one of the most efficient disk-to-memory methods.
Some 64-bit programs, such as encoders, decoders and encryption software, can benefit greatly from 64-bit registers, while the performance of other programs, such as 3D graphics-oriented ones, remains unaffected when switching from a 32-bit to a 64-bit environment.
Some 64-bit architectures, such as x86-64, support more general-purpose registers than their 32-bit counterparts (although this is not due specifically to the word length). This leads to a significant speed increase for tight loops since the processor does not have to fetch data from the cache or main memory if the data can fit in the available registers.

Top Bottom