What to know to do Android rooting and custom ROMs

kiranm516

Revolutionary
Hi i am a newbie to the android world and i am a cs student and i wanted to know what i need to know for doing rooting, custom rom's porting etc, like cyanogen-mod. Creating my own rom's etc...
-> DO i need to know about embedded systems
-> Or any hardware related stuff
-> i know programming in c & c++

Please any one who has some expertise please provide some insight for these stuff. I think this is the right section!

sygeek

Technomancer
I'd suggest you learn Java first. When you've get a good grasp of it, move on to this video series.

Don't hurry anything, Android development isn't easy. If you want something easy, you can go for iOS.

OP
kiranm516

kiranm516

Revolutionary
I'd suggest you learn Java first. When you've get a good grasp of it, move on to this video series.

Don't hurry anything, Android development isn't easy. If you want something easy, you can go for iOS.

Hey bro i'm not asking for app development, custom rom's android internals porting etc...

sygeek

Technomancer
Hey bro i'm not asking for app development, custom rom's android internals porting etc...
You need to get used to its basics first (android development), you can't jump directly on the higher-end subject. Even if you successfully attempt this, you'll either be basically the worst developer OR it'll take you longer to learn about it than starting from scratch.

OP
kiranm516

kiranm516

Revolutionary
You need to get used to its basics first (android development), you can't jump directly on the higher-end subject. Even if you successfully attempt this, you'll either be basically the worst developer OR it'll take you longer to learn about it than starting from scratch.
Ok bro i am about to complete FastTrack to android SDK, and will go adavanced.

red dragon

Master troll
Wrong!Absolutely wrong!!
Developing for iOS is not that easy at all.
First of all get yourself familiar with Android file system.
Take help from XDA devs.

Ok,
I will try to explain few basic things(I am also a beginner,so please bear with me!)

1.If you have more experience on C/C++,developing for i.o.s will be easier.
2.If you are comfortable with Java,Swing and .net,Android will be easier.

I find the learning curve of i.o.s development is much steeper than Android.
Developing for Android can be really boring because maximum time is spent on stupid things like device compatibility,screen resolution,stupidly messy Android versions.
This is precisely the reason many talented developers have stopped working on Android(you may not trust,but it is true!)

@o.p,if you have some java experience...start on Android,trust me it is far easier.

If you know both java and C/C++,start cross platform dev,most satisfying!

Last edited:
Top Bottom