What to do about this slowing LAPTOP?

Sarath

iDota
This has been on my mind ever since i bought this PC.

"How to make it faster?"

Brief History:
2years back got this HP dv6 laptop [Config core2duo 2.0Ghz, 3GB, Win Vista SP2, 1GB Ati]. The PC took a lot of time to boot ever since the begining due to Vista. Then it didnt take very long to start crawling.

It has been fine over the years but i was always contemplating upgrading to Win 7 when it came out. I think i missed the free upgrade as i got this from Dubai.

I know its a reasonably powerful device but want all the bloatware out.
I am not a very knowledgable person when it comes to software so i have never been able to help the PC.

So what should i do?

~I want to somehow reset the PC back to how it was when it was new. Like formatting the entire PC and doing a fresh install. [I know nothing of it though. I have just read a lot without any personal skill to do any of it] This is just an example. this is not what i am intending to do unless suggested.

However i did not get the OS disk. All i have is a partition called "Recovery" and a few disks [set of 5 to 10 i dont remember made by the shop keeper]Is this for the drivers?. I think this is common place with many HP Laptops.

I know there are many apps designed to speed up the PC like leaning the registry(??) etc but i am looking for something akin to what i said above. A fresh start for my PC.

Also i would be doing a back up of all my data as will be suggested by everyone here.

~If i buy a Win 7 OS and install it in this PC will i be able to use the same disk on another PC, like a new desktop? I know i am buying only a single license but can it be transferred to another PC or maybe used in both with seurity updates just for one.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
From what I read, you don't just want to clean your windows, (which includes, registry cleaning, defragmenting etc.. etc...) but you want to RESET the laptop, to the time when it was brand new.

In that case, I had to tell you that you can do exactly what you desire.
Of course, reformatting it with Windows 7 would be a pretty logical choice, and the one which everyone here would be agree too. But since, you have a genuine OS, that choice, will not be the most intelligent one.

I have done the same thing few months back, i.e., to reset the Vista, without formatting or re-installing the entire OS, and so I know that's possible.

You would need those recovery disks for this purpose. Insert the disk, which would be most conveniently labeled Disk 1. And boot from it. You would find the option to Reset the computer. Don't remember the exact option, but I think you can find that easily. After you select the option, it will take some time, and will probably ask to enter the next recovery disk etc..

After the process completes, your Vista would be brand new, the way it's like on a fresh start.
I think, the company doesn't provide the OS disk as a measure to curb piracy. And so those recovery disks could only be used on a system which already has the OS installed.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
To format a pc, follow the link How to format a computer and Reinstall Windows
Sarath said:
~If i buy a Win 7 OS and install it in this
PC will i be able to use the same disk
on another PC, like a new desktop?
Not sure

Be sure to back up everything.
And dont blame me or any other forum member incase you mess up anything.
Be cautious. Remember, back up all photo video and everything important in external drive.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
Oh boy. To go back to the previous state the solution is format your PC and reinstall OS. But remember that you'll lose everything stored on that PC unless you take backup.
Sarath said:
~If i buy a Win 7 OS and install it in this PC will i be able to use the same disk on another PC, like a new desktop? I know i am buying only a single license but can it be transferred to another PC or maybe used in both with seurity updates just for one.
Yes you can use it on any one of them but not on both of them at a time.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Backup: I have a 600GB portable HD and i think it'll consume all of the 220Gigs that my PC has. However one ques: Should i use the backup utility that came with the portable Seagate drive(this will be the first time if i do) <OR> Should i just copy paste the entire drive(if that is possible)

I have only 2 partitions; one of which is ofcourse the "Recovery" partition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROBLEM:

Thanks vineet369 for laying it all out clearly. However there is a problem: To put it simply
I do not have the recovery disks

No one knows where the disks accurately are. Crudely they are either with my Dad (another country) or in my previous home (another state). So it can be seen that i wont be getting them any time soon if not forever.

Simple question: "Am i doomed?"

More pratical question: Can i make another set of recovery disks now? (As of writing this) If yes, Will they function the same as the previous ones? I hope its not like restoration in which only the present state gets restored if i make them now :-(

If not then
>Should i wait till i find my set of recovery disks? OR
>Can i get them from HP or from someone using a similar laptop?
>Does the "Recovery" D: drive partition funtion the same as the 10set DVDs? If not what is it for?

Thanks thetechfreak and gameranand for your suggestions. And no i would be holding no one responsible for this (I cant afford a lawyer :wink:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Backup: I have a 600GB portable HD and i think it'll consume all of the 220Gigs that my PC has. However one ques: Should i use the backup utility that came with the portable Seagate drive(this will be the first time if i do) <OR> Should i just copy paste the entire drive(if that is possible)
I am much of a geek, to use any of the so called recovery software, so I would have just copy and pasted the required files, which I think are necessary. Since a s/w for this purpose tends to make a file of its own format, and so in order to get file from that file, one must need to use the same software! Quite a hassle.

Also, you don't need to copy paste the content of entire drive, only the documents contained within Documents folder, and Desktop files, and all the folders on the root drive other than, Windows, Program and Features folders etc...
Best would be to copy all the files and folders contained within <User name> folder, since Documents and Desktop folder are inside the same.
I hope you know what a <username> folder is. (Start -> <username>)

I do not have the recovery disks
That's a problem, considering the fact that you neither have the OS disk as well as the recovery disks!

Simple question: "Am i doomed?"

Probably Yes! Sorry can't help you! :(
.. Kidding! :))

Can i make another set of recovery disks now? (As of writing this)
I don't think, you can "Make" recovery disk! Recovery is a false term used here, IMO. It should be called, more of a "Repair / Reset" disks. Since you can't restore any files from those disks!

>Should i wait till i find my set of recovery disks? OR
>Can i get them from HP or from someone using a similar laptop?

IMHO, recovery disks are not laptop specific, but are OS specific. So if you can arrange for the recovery disks from someone who had Vista installed, it can work too. (That is an assertion, but a pretty confident one).

>Does the "Recovery" D: drive partition funtion the same as the 10set DVDs? If not what is it for?

Don't know how useful is that Recovery (D: ) drive of yours, but on the Vista system, that I had worked on before (which I stated earlier) it looked pretty much useless to me.
But, hell no, you can't use that partition to function the same as those disks!

Summary:
I guess, you should backup the data first, and then try to arrange the recovery disks of Vista.
OR
If you think, you have used your laptop and OS in 2 years, and can afford new OS, then go buy Windows 7, and do a clean install!

gameranand

Living to Play
vineet369 said:
IMHO, recovery disks are not laptop specific, but are OS specific. So if you can arrange for the recovery disks from someone who had Vista installed, it can work too. (That is an assertion, but a pretty confident one).
Don't you think that maybe the recovery disks also contain license information of OS of that particular laptop?? Even I am not sure about this but this is a possibility right?? And if its true then he can't use other recovery disks other than his.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Don't you think that maybe the recovery disks also contain license information of OS of that particular laptop?? Even I am not sure about this but this is a possibility right?? And if its true then he can't use other recovery disks other than his.

Recovery disk containing the license info? :confused:
I don't think it works that way. Windows activates itself online after its installed. So there's a very little (read 0.01) chance that recovery disk contains any kind of license info.
But I don't think OP has anything to loss by giving it a try.

gameranand

Living to Play
vineet369 said:
I don't think it works that way. Windows activates itself online after its installed. So there's a very little (read 0.01) chance that recovery disk contains any kind of license info.
But I don't think OP has anything to loss by giving it a try.
No nothin about it. Never had a laptop. Thanks for the info.
Well yeah he got nothin to lose so he can surely try that.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I was wondering since I have the, I dont know what its called but it is found on the back panel of most laptops contain a genuine windows copy badge and a number which o think for my copy of windows.

So my ques is: can I use a friends copy or done other copy of vista home premium and then since o have the number itll get activated online ?

since I only have a licence the OS disk should be less important right.

[Many typos cant help. typing from mobile]

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
That licence is probably for an OEM version of the windows and might not work with the retail version of OS

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
Isn't there a recovery partition of about 10GB in size. since you mentioned Recovery disc then there must be one as I have seen in many laptops and PC of HP. You can restore from there.
You can even order for new ones from HP or get one at HP center for about 1.5-2K.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
abhinav_sinha said:
Isn't there a recovery partition of about 10GB in size. since you mentioned Recovery disc then there must be one as I have seen in many laptops in PC of HP. You can restore from there.
Nah it doesn't help. I tried that in one of my friend's laptop.

sygeek

Technomancer
Windows Vista o_O. Better buy Windows XP (or Windows7) and perform a clean format. Be aware of all the drivers needed by your laptop (by going to your laptop's manufacturer's site) if you are planning on reformatting with Windows XP/Vista.

Here's what I actually recommend, Download TuneUP Utilities and install it. If you are not satisfied with the increase in speed even after using the above software. Consider the above option.

Note: Most of the softwares that run at startup slow down your PC. Use msconfig (in run) to remove the unwanted softwares from startup or use a startup manager.

Last edited:

gameranand

Living to Play
SyGeek said:
Better buy Windows XP (or Windows7) and perform a clean format
I would suggest him only and only Windows 7 because XP is too old and the support for it going to end in coming years so OP please don't buy XP. If you have to buy buy windows 7. :)

abhinav_sinha

Journeyman
One means One

If you don't want any change from core(The factory setup I mean) buy a new recovery disc form HP otherwise go for win7.
Xp :Only if you want more lightness. But remember lesser support and updates after a while as they are going to end.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
I will try this. Hopefully my PC stops crawling. Its not really that bad but i know a lot of unneccessary apps are lurking in the background.

I will try the recovery when i find my set of recovery disks. Getting them for a few thousand rupees feels like a sick joke to me. The only piece of software i have paid for twice is Angry Birds.

Windows Vista o_O. Better buy Windows XP (or Windows7) and perform a clean format. Be aware of all the drivers needed by your laptop (by going to your laptop's manufacturer's site) if you are planning on reformatting with Windows XP/Vista.

Here's what I actually recommend, Download TuneUP Utilities and install it. If you are not satisfied with the increase in speed even after using the above software. Consider the above option.

Note: Most of the softwares that run at startup slow down your PC. Use msconfig (in run) to remove the unwanted softwares from startup or use a startup manager.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will wait for the windows 7 experience in my new PC due June/July.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, what SyGeek have advised seems perfect in the conditions in which you are trapped :-D
Not only your computer would become faster, performing all the ways TuneUp provides, you will feel good, while your system gets clean!
It's the same feeling which you get, when you give a renovation before Diwali to your home ;)

All the best!

Top Bottom