What to do about this slowing LAPTOP?

gameranand

Living to Play
Yeah one thing use Revo uninstaller to unistall softwares from your PC as it will search for any leftover files and registry entry and will delete them.:)
Also if don't wanna pay for Tuneup then you can use Ccleaner along with Auslogics disk defrag and glary utilities and get the similar results. All the softwares I suggested are freewares while Tuneup is not so its upto you.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ HA-HA! TuneUp is Still free, for the time being!

Giveaway Link: TuneUp United Kingdom - Computershopper promotion
TDF Thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/freeware/139446-tuneup-utilities-2010-giveaway.html

:bananana:

gameranand

Living to Play
Well I would take Tune up 2011 rather than 2010 to have a complete updated version and all features. And thats the reason I suggested him freewares. Although 2010 is also good but 2011 has a complete different look and its better than 2010.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Well, believe it or not, I was using TU 2008 before I saw the chance to grab TU 2010 free of cost!
I don't think, utilities such as, System Cleaner, Registry Cleaner, Defragmentation, Registry Defrag, should work any different in the new version.

So, for me, Paid, but a little old version > Free but updated version :))
Maybe, its just me.

gameranand

Living to Play
^^ Well new features are actually added to the softwares. Take Auslogics Disk Defrag for instance. When I started using it it was just a simple degragmenter and now it is one of the most feature rich defragment utility I have seen in a long time. Now it also have a feature to show you the file that s contained in that particular block and any other features which others have.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ok... I get it... I think, you aren't getting the point here. I think, TU 2010 would be the best and enough for OP, for the tasks he want to achieve here.
Thats it. Period.

R2K

In the Zone
What ever you do never use registry cleaner feature of Tuneup utilities.
Not only you will no difference in performance , its gonna get your computer into more trouble later on.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Best Registry cleaner according to me
MV RegClean 5 (Windows), from Marcos Velasco Security - Free Downloads on ZDNet | Shareware, Trialware, Evaluation Software

R2K

In the Zone
^^
There is gonna be 0% difference in system performance by cleaning registry. In the mean time you are gonna risk the system stability in the long run.
I have read an article abt this in lifehacker a long time ago.
What's the Registry, Should I Clean It, and What's the Point?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well I usually experience a slight boost in start up time when I clean many invalid entries.

Some tips I found there
Well I usually experience a slight boost in start up time when I clean many invalid entries.

Some tips I found there
One more rule of thumb -- keep a
small profile (of installed software): 1) You don't need a zillion browsers --
they all do the same thing. One should
suffice, two if you must. 2) Don't run multiple AV suites. 3) Don't use multiple video players --
pick one, and load it with codecs to
play everything. Research your codecs
of course -- don't install anything you
find. For example, windows media
player + the CCCP codec pack can handle just about everything -- if some
video doesn't play after that, you need
to ask yourself about the source of
this video before taking further action. 4) Don't install 5 different IM clients --
there's IM clients that consolidate all
your accounts. 5) Don't install 20 different popup
blockers, notepad replacements, icon
themes, this-that-and-the-other. By all means, make sure you have the
right s/w for your tasks/goals. But
don't get carried away. Your registry
will stay clean, and your machine
won't degrade with time.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Format and reinstall is the ultimate solution for each and every Windows problem. Install Windows 7.

There is no point of discussing about registry cleaners, defragmenters etc. Windows tends to slow down due to cluttered bloat after continuous use.

sygeek

Technomancer
^^
There is gonna be 0% difference in system performance by cleaning registry. In the mean time you are gonna risk the system stability in the long run.
I have read an article abt this in lifehacker a long time ago.
What's the Registry, Should I Clean It, and What's the Point?
Only if you have a large amount of programs that run on startup and rely hugely on registry, you're gonna have to regularly clean it up to prevent it from "webbing".

Format and reinstall is the ultimate solution for each and every Windows problem. Install Windows 7.

There is no point of discussing about registry cleaners, defragmenters etc. Windows tends to slow down due to cluttered bloat after continuous use.
That's the ultimate solution if someone's too lazy to dig up his PC for problems and clean it up. Sometimes efficient registry cleaning, removing bloatware, defragmenting regularly, disabling useless visual eye-candy features and maintaining a decent list of apps on startup will make it as good as new.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the ultimate solution if someone's too lazy to dig up his PC for problems and clean it up. Sometimes efficient registry cleaning, removing bloatware, defragmenting regularly, disabling useless visual eye-candy features and maintaining a decent list of apps on startup will make it as good as new.
If you ask me, just moving onto a better OS like Ubuntu helps. You don't have to worry about these useless things.

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
Well since i use the PC primarily to play games i need Win 7. So theres no changing that. Plus i no more have the patience to try out something new> Studies :reading: :banghead:

I think i will let it die its death. Or I will install wins from a friends copy (i have a licence so i dont qualify as a pirate)

Plus i am getting a new PC meanwhile so i guess i will leave this PC to its fate.
Meanwhile i will try to kill a few startup apps and try running some of the programs you guys have pointed at.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question out of curoiusity:
If supposing my HDD fails (and to my knowledge thats where the OS sits) and i change the HDD then what happens then? I lose the OS right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If supposing my HDD fails (and to my knowledge thats where the OS sits) and i change the HDD then what happens then? I lose the OS right?

You will lose your OS, AND every data that you have on ALL your drives! :duh2:

OP
Sarath

Sarath

iDota
So then i give it to HP. Will they re install the OS for me. I never lose the license to windows right.

gameranand

Living to Play
Sarath said:
So then i give it to HP. Will they re install the OS for me. I never lose the license to windows right.
You said yourself that you don't want to invest any money on this and giving it to HP will cost you. Also its unlikely that they will repair it because your warranty is over I guess and even if ain't over then they'll just tell you to use recovery disks to fix it yourself.
Sarath said:
So theres no changing that. Plus i no more have the patience to try out something new> Studies
I know you ain't gonna change your OS but let me tell you that installing Ubuntu is simpler than windows and don't require studying and their app center is awesome. Told ya to clear your confusion.
Sarath said:
Not just OS but everything you have on that HDD.

R2K

In the Zone

I guess you have no idea how much manufacturers like HP and Dell charge to recover/ reinstall an OS.:)) Why can't you do it yourself. Windows Vista and Windows 7 installation Setup are made in such a manner that even a retard:)) can install it without much of a trouble.

Top Bottom