What to buy from Dubai

ajayritik

Technomancer
Next month most probably I may travel to Dubai so wanted to know which electronic product I should buy?
1. Blu Ray Player
2. External HDD
3. Laptop

Any other product?

$hadow

Geek in making
Depends what budget you have for what.
But believe me the laptop and hdd are fairly cheap in comparison to those available in India.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Laptop is cheaper in Dubai. Blu Ray player too is cheaper. Avoid shops in MAll in Bur Dubai...rip off mostly. Look around for good prices.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Laptop is cheaper in Dubai. Blu Ray player too is cheaper. Avoid shops in MAll in Bur Dubai...rip off mostly. Look around for good prices.

One more thing I wanted to check apart from what to buy is about the stay. How much do you all think it would be for food there if we take care of stay in hotel? Also how much would travelling around the city cost for say 5 days?

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
For travelling around there are cabs and buses. Chose the Corolla and Camrys, they are generally cheaper. 10 Dh is minimum fare and generally within the city the ride would not ever cross 30Dh.Bus or RTA is even cheaper and then there are NOL cards,which is prepaid card to avail all RTA services once topped up..Hotel rates vary from 100Dh to anything.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Guys wasn't checking on the thread since my trip was not sure. Now it's happening. Thanks @ The Incinerator.
Need more inputs on what to buy.
If I buy HDD will I have an international warranty. And what would be the price difference like?

Sarath

iDota
^ You will have to find the right shops first for considerable savings. Better ask a local taxi driver etc.

I used Booking.com: 356,872 hotels worldwide. 24+ million hotel reviews. twice for my stay in Dubai. There might be many more sites but I have used this one satisfactorily. You can use it to compare and find one in the location you want.

Better use Metro for travel around the city. There are many stations esp at important locations. You can hire a car too if you dont mind the drive. You will need a international drivers permit for that.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^ You will have to find the right shops first for considerable savings. Better ask a local taxi driver etc.

I used Booking.com: 356,872 hotels worldwide. 24+ million hotel reviews. twice for my stay in Dubai. There might be many more sites but I have used this one satisfactorily. You can use it to compare and find one in the location you want.

Better use Metro for travel around the city. There are many stations esp at important locations. You can hire a car too if you dont mind the drive. You will need a international drivers permit for that.
Thanks Sarath. Most probably may stay at friend's place but the only glitch is he stays a little far from city so may have to shell additional money on travel.

dude buy DSLR cameras or cell phones...they are cheaper
Thanks for the suggestion!

Sarath

iDota
^ You would spend a lot on accomodation otherwise. Travelling turns out much cheaper if you restrict taxi usage to bare minimum.

Travelling in Dubai is quite easy too, so much so that we actually drive from Abu Dhabi to Dubai and park our car in the hotel and suffice with metro and rarely taxies. It is more relaxing this way, especially since the city is so well connected.

Taxies more often than not, have a long que (at malls) or take really long to haul on the streets.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
After the initial struggles I'm all set for Dubai Trip in Jan. Will be there for the Dubai Shopping Festival.
Any suggestions on good purchase?
1. External HDD
2. DAC
3. Music Players
4. Digital Camera
5. LED TV
6. Handycam

Knight2A4

In the zone
Any electrics brought from there will not get service coverage in india plus customs will check for item purchase bill & will ask for duty. Do check what you can bring from there according to customs duty. If I would had been in your place would had brought gold or better Liquor ............ :wink:

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Any electrics brought from there will not get service coverage in india plus customs will check for item purchase bill & will ask for duty. Do check what you can bring from there according to customs duty. If I would had been in your place would had brought gold or better Liquor ............ :wink:

Buddy I hate buying gold and also I don't drink

Knight2A4

In the zone
Unlike the late 90's or early 20's It not like you will be able to find some thing unique that's not available in india. They do not emboss Tax's & hence things are cheaper there. Most electronic these days are either assembled or manufactured in china which in teams get distributed globally So in most case's what you get in india is also what you will get in U.A.E unlike earlier people used to buy sony which where genuinely made in japan. I do admit that some brands give international warranty like sony, jvc But it has conditions (*). * - 1 year local warranty & 3 months international warranty. and for that also you have to send the product to H.Q of the country. Whats left is how pure you can get That's why i mentioned gold if you are not the person who wants materialistic pressure or investment then may be you would like something to please your soul that's why i mentioned Liquor Duty Free Alcohol is some thing that many people look forward towards the ending of there trip. :-D

Well this is just an advice as you has asked for .... the trip is your's enjoy it i would say. :razz:

Top Bottom