What the difference in motherboard?

Amey408

Broken In
I am looking to build new CPU in i7 (Core i7 950) configuration (for gaming & movies) so i choose 3 motherboard all from Asus (Asus Rampage III GENE, Asus Rampage II GENE, Asus Sabertooth X58) but i have some question.

1) What is the difference in Asus Rampage III GENE & Asus Rampage II GENE because both have x58 chipsets & i never see any Difference between them.

2) which is best motherboard by performance (i am not looking for audio & video because in future i purchase sound & graphic card)

3) if non of above 3 than suggest me a good performance motherboard for 5 to 6 year's.

plz give me prise also.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
avoid asus mobos.
give your budget and use so we can suggest you a good config. and fill the pc build questionnaire template.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Main difference is USB 3.0 and sata 6 in rampage 3 gene along with extra PCIe x4 slot.
Else no difference...
I'd say Asus Rampage 3 Gene is the way to go.... and BTW sabertooth is a good chioce! but can't say about its price... is sabertooth is cheaper than rampage 3 gene than sabertooth seems the best options....

But performance wise ASUS gaming mobos r better.... its your choice

PLZ BUY ASUS mobos for intel systems.... i have asked ppl on overclock.net and overclockersclub.com and all suggest to buy asus mobos for performance and stability and these mobos have no issues...

I m my self using ASUS P5Q deluxe and at 2000Mhz FSB its rock solid!!! @ 24x7

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Look ASUS is the choice for gamers and enthusiastic buyers for a long time. Their high end mobos are very best at overclocking and all the other gaming stuffs. But now a days there are very high number of incidents regarding faulty mobo, mainly for the lower, middle and higher-middle end mobos from ASUS. So we suggested not to buy asus now.
May their high end mobos are retaining their excellent quality.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
One of my friends bought a ASUS EN GTX 480 some time back and that graphics card started having some problems within 15 days, so he had to give it for RMA...
So better to go for other companies like MSI, Gigabyte etc. until this weird quality decrement problem is sorted out by ASUS...
Also ASUS products are priced very steeply so considering another option will be better.....

Cheers,
sid_gamer

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
One feedback about ASUS. I was recently at Rashi periperals to give my logitech mouse for RMA. The day i deposited the mouse there were 2 people in the queue. But the next 3 times that I had to go, there was a queue of around 25-30 people. i was surprised by this. Later I figured out that the day I deposited the mouse, they were not taking ASUS products for some reason, so there was no queue.

So from this you can imagine how many ASUS products come for RMA and from that you can figure out the quality that ASUS has got to offer.

Power_user_EX

@Cilus , @Sid_gamer
It may be once in a blue moon case or seems to be some probs with some of batches of AMD mobos.... also how cases have u seen in personal ? I have never seen it till now... Also der r many other factor which gives rise to defects.... Manufacturer can't be blamed all the time untill its a fabrication fault. or something alike... also yes other brands are indeed gud to buy like gigabyte , evga , etc...

Also the way giants like gigabyte , asus manufacture stuff is different... AFAIK and from an article from bit-tech.net gigabyte manufactures mobos on weekly bases and a dedicated assembly line for each type of mobo... after a week or some days the switch to other product... and everything passes thru rigorous tests and QA check... so the prob might occur while handling/shipping/stocking it or due to ESD while handling it ... and it might also depend from your source of purchase too...

So in the end it boils down to luck and keep in mind that these are electronic items and no can guarantee that it will work perfect every time its manufactured..

OP
A

Amey408

Broken In
Thanks for quick replies & suggestions.

on October 2009 Digit issue they give Biostar tpower x58 Gold best buy how is it?
should i go for it, if not than plz suugest me any motherboard x58 chipset.

my budget is 35k to 40k (only CPU)

pegasus

Journeyman
If you are ok buying a mATX mobo, the Rampage III Gene offers almost everything that the RAmpage III Extreme does for those looking for a small mobo.
Apart from providing USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps, it will be much better for OCers as is the case usually with newer revisions.
From some user comments oninternational forums, it seems the Intel Gigabit LAN is a welcome thing.
It also offers some cool features like ROG Connect, Gamefirst, etc iirc
Plus i think the red and black colour scheme looks killah. :p

Do take a look at the Sabertoth X58 if buying a X58 setup.
ASUS TUF Sabertooth X58 review
Sabertooth X58 expected here soon, at approx 14K or lil more and with 5 years warranty from what i have heard.
A few friends are waiting for it to be available here.

And what all do you need to buy in 35K-40K?
processor, mobo, RAM, HDD, PSU, case, everything?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
@Cilus , @Sid_gamer
It may be once in a blue moon case or seems to be some probs with some of batches of AMD mobos.... also how cases have u seen in personal ? I have never seen it till now... Also der r many other factor which gives rise to defects.... Manufacturer can't be blamed all the time untill its a fabrication fault. or something alike... also yes other brands are indeed gud to buy like gigabyte , evga , etc...

Also the way giants like gigabyte , asus manufacture stuff is different... AFAIK and from an article from bit-tech.net gigabyte manufactures mobos on weekly bases and a dedicated assembly line for each type of mobo... after a week or some days the switch to other product... and everything passes thru rigorous tests and QA check... so the prob might occur while handling/shipping/stocking it or due to ESD while handling it ... and it might also depend from your source of purchase too...

So in the end it boils down to luck and keep in mind that these are electronic items and no can guarantee that it will work perfect every time its manufactured..

I personally encountered 7 cases, which for a single company is actually quite high. And in this forum also numerous people reported about the faulty mobos from ASUS. Now if all the allegations are just for a single brand, then there must be some issue with it.

pegasus

Journeyman
^ Cilus - In the small time i have been here, you are one of those who seem very knowledgeable and sensible.
So your feedback will be true and proper i feel.
(Unfortunately, some just keep ranting/brand bashing like disgruntled noobs without being of any to help the OP facing the issue.)
The next time you face or see any issue, please start a thread with all details for the same asap.
(If you are already facing any issues at the moment, please do the same asap)
We can try and take it up with the company people. :)

Others are requested to do the same.

Power_user_EX

^ Cilus - In the small time i have been here, you are one of those who seem very knowledgeable and sensible.
So your feedback will be true and proper i feel.
(Unfortunately, some just keep ranting/brand bashing like disgruntled noobs without being of any to help the OP facing the issue.)
The next time you face or see any issue, please start a thread with all details for the same asap.
(If you are already facing any issues at the moment, please do the same asap)
We can try and take it up with the company people. :)

Others are requested to do the same.

Plz don't show ur English skills in 3rd person dude :) ...

BTW posting high amount of threads doesn't prove any one's Intelligence...

Cilus

laborare est orare
Plz don't show ur English skills in 3rd person dude :) ...

BTW posting high amount of threads doesn't prove any one's Intelligence...
pegasus, Power_user_EX...........

Please don't fight. Its my request to all of you, please don't take it to the personal level.
Anyway thanks a lot pegasus, but believe me there are lot of other people present in the forum who are far more knowledgeable than me. TopGear, Asigh, Compaddit, Tkin, they are actually building blocks of this forum. Also the new members like Sam, Jas, Power_user_EX, and you have shown a high amount of knowledge. Jas is our sweet 16 buddy with universal knowledge of hardware.:-o:-o

Now the reason about my suggestion of avoiding ASUS a safety precaution, not because of any personal experience or grudge. One can get an ASUS mobo and run it for years without any hassle. But really, if you look at the different threads of this forum only, you will find lots of complain against ASUS. There are other complains in other rech forums like Tech Enclave, Erodov etc.
So at same price if mobos with same feature and performace from other brands are available, I think we should go for it.
And Gigabyte is real famous for their build quality, they use military grade components. All my AMD boards (currently the 3rd one is getting used) are from gigabyte.
The last mobo was GA-k8N-Ultra-SLI, one of the best and handful of OC certified SLI mobo of that time, I was some of the very few people in Kolkata on that time (2004 end) to go for a Geforce 6600 GT in SLI. I just sold it couple of months ago and before it I have done every kind of experiment on it, CPU overclocking, Memory overclocking, PCI-E bus overclocking, everything.
No problem till the end of day. The person who bought it also told me it is running in overclocked setting (an AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+ 1.86 GHz, oced to 2.1 GHz) permanently.
And in this forum it is almost impossible to find a person complaining about the quality of Gigabyte.
So my recommendation goes with Gigabyte.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Have anyone bothered to ask if he would overclock or just use it on stock/moderate bump? Has Amey made any honest efforts from his end to use the template for his own good so that it removes any mis-intrepertation of needs/wants/desires with budget??? Why not? Its for your own good in the long term, don't you agree?

So can anyone explain me on what basis are "some" people blindly suggesting models? hmm?? rampage way to go but sabertooth also good? Assuming it is true sabertooth is good then why spend extra money on rampage boards for no reason? Aren't you contradicting your own sentences and indirectly saying sabertooth is good so point of buy ROG board is bling bling ? The OP assumes that if he buys a good/expensive board, it will last thing for 5-6 years? Rather than clarifying and addressing such mindsets YOU are simply giving an 'advice' so that he can spend a lot of money for basically to acheieve something with a bit lesser cost? Would you appreciate if people suggested you something that is expensive but really of no use to you? hmm?

But performance wise ASUS gaming mobos r better.... its your choice
If you are comparing a good/expensive board with a cheap/mediocre board what would you expect? You DO realize that many improvements were made on the x58 board ever since its launched? Without knowing such stuff people started compared new gens with older ones and for what?

PLZ BUY ASUS mobos for intel systems.... i have asked ppl on overclock.net and overclockersclub.com and all suggest to buy asus mobos for performance and stability and these mobos have no issues...
And links? Most of your comments are not so different from fanboys. Even people from overclock.net have mentioned their own sets of pros and cons.
I m my self using ASUS P5Q deluxe and at 2000Mhz FSB its rock solid!!! @ 24x7
You're recommending x58 boards based on your experience with a p45 board? Strange!
Then you of all people should know that people had to wait till jan~feb to get a stable bios as far as p5q series were concerned. When one bios has problems running 5-5-5 800mhz and couple of them used to reset the bios once you switch off the mains. It was only the modded bios did the good job.
The point still stands- you're judging an x58 board's performance based on your experience with a p5q board? I assume you (hopefully) know there have been few improvements been made after p45 boards?
=====================================================================================
As far as Rashi's service with asus is concerned, has anyone made ANY honest effort of compiling a thread stating model/date of purchase/city/time elapsed in the name of RMA? If not then why? If you compile such threads, senior/responsible members can forward this to Asus and they can do the needful. Random comments like "asus sucks" "my friend's asus died in 2 days time...", yadda yadda yadda is nothing but useless bashing which bears no fruit. If anyone tells Rashi infront of asus that their service is very slow and irritating, they (rashi) can easily dismiss as an isolated case or over-exaggeration by the end user. But if a thread is modded an organised properly, provided relevant details are posted rather than bashing, that would have of some use. Atleast make an initiative. Stop being lazy and start taking ownership of the forum. This is the only way changes can be made.

Last edited:
OP
A

Amey408

Broken In
Thanks for all replies & suggestion guys.

Actually for timing I think to purchase x58 motherboard for i7 920 or 950 & after 1 or 2 year’s of time I should upgrade it to 980x (Right now its price is so high waiting for to come down). need for gaming (NFS SHIFT & HIGH VERSION GAMES)

REQUIRED ONLY MOBO+PROSS+ RAM+HDD+GRAPHIC CARD+CASSING WITH GOOD SMPS

Tenida

Gadget Freak
ASUS is not a good brand anymore i have also seen quite faulty asus motherboard.If also asus is good brand but you will not get good service from rashi peripheral.All the company you should avoid that distributed and service by Rashi peripheral.I am having Xfx gf card problem but they are saying its working fine but the fan of gfcard is not working and getting hot.
So you can understand what i am want to said.I have to suggest other so no one faces the problem that i am facing.
You are right cilus no one is fighting about any for brand.We were not the owner of the mention brand so whats about fighting hehehhe chill yar....everyone:D

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
after 1 or 2 year’s of time I should upgrade it to 980x (Right now its price is so high waiting for to come down).
Get real, don't get your hopes up THAT high. Its an 32nm 6 core-extreme edition processor and their retail pricing will not fall as low as you think it will.

Intel would rather declare it as EOL and introduce a scaled/toned down version LGA 1136 6 core processor in another series maybe 1-3 years down the line which most probably be compatible from next gen chipsets onwards (I am sure people who have seen and observed c2d extreme processor's price drop will agree). If you're expecting an intel 6 core processor with 12 threads to be in the same cost as how i7 920 is, well you will end up waiting for a really long time and most likely it might not be compatible with x58 chipsets which will then obviously become an EOL product. Buy what is the best for now, maybe 1 year down the line, get a good enough 6GB triple channel kit and maybe a gfx card upgrade and you will have a system that will be with you for 4 years.

If you are serious about your upgrade, fill the template or else there's simply no point in beating around the bushes and making vague comments.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for all replies & suggestion guys.

Actually for timing I think to purchase x58 motherboard for i7 920 or 950 & after 1 or 2 year’s of time I should upgrade it to 980x (Right now its price is so high waiting for to come down). need for gaming (NFS SHIFT & HIGH VERSION GAMES)

REQUIRED ONLY MOBO+PROSS+ RAM+HDD+GRAPHIC CARD+CASSING WITH GOOD SMPS

See, nothing is future proof for the amount of time you want it to be. It all depends on internal perception and the limit you reach for performance vs. extreme/high performance. Let me put this in perspective: Suppose you are using your i7 rig 4 years down the line. You are able to play game on decent resolution, surf with multiple tabs, do what ever you want with the system --- IT IS FUTURE proof. Now if you are NOT satisfied with the performance (which is strictly personal) then time to upgrade...! I initially started my current rig with a c2d E7400 and a single HD4890. Immediately I was unsatisfied with the accelerated so I Xfired it. After some months I wanted multiple cores for the new games coming out -- so I slipped in a Q9950. This is the way it works. Its all internal desire / perception. I could have kept a single HD4890 and the E7400 -- system would still game and run all applications.

You really know what the 980x is. It is and extreme series processor with an unlocked multiplier. Mostly used for extreme benching. As The Sorcerer, mentioned, remote chance that the price of this would be lowered. I am currently looking at the extreme series for my LGA775 -- where ever I see prices, they are sky high. So no use dreaming about this CPU, unless you will be ready to shell out 45K+. Sad but true. Intell.

Top Bottom