What PSU will this config need?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi,

After numerous blackouts of my machine, I have decided to get a new PSU. My config is as follows :

Core 2 Duo E8400 3 Ghz (runs at 2.4 GHz AI overclocking, never tried to run at stock speed because of voltage problems)
4 GB RAM
Asus P5GC-MX/1333 Motherboard
ATI Radeon HD4850 graphics card running at 625 MHz stock speed (I plan to overclock this one. It goes to a max of 750 MHz. Also, it requires external power)

Please tell me how much watt PSU do I need and suggest some.

Thanks

PS: My budget is around 4k +/- 500 including shipping.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I must mention that I am planning on a massive upgrade in a 1-2 months time. Including getting a new graphics card (Radeon 78xx series perhaps) and motherboard, processor change. Please suggest keeping this in mind.

Also, I have 2 SATA HDDs (500 + 320 GB), an optical drive and two fans.

CarlonSamuels

Journeyman
Your current config is not very energy efficient i would suggest you go for CORSAIR SMPS 600CXV2UK
It is a very good PSU and will give you enough power for future upgrades

doomgiver

Warframe
get a 450/500W psu, and you are golden.

thank god you dont have a hd4870, that card is a power hog :)

also, before buying check the following :
1. the psu has enough pci-e power pins (and enough molex pins, in case of emergency conversions)
2. the psu has enough amperage on the +12V line to power the card (check in the manufacturer page/reviews to see roughly how much it needs)
3. the psu cables are long enough to reach plugs comfortably (my 4 pin ATX in my corsair vx450 is shorter than i require, hence i have to bend it in an awkward way to plug it in)
4. forget about wattage calculators, they are a waste of time.

imho this is a rough guide to selecting wattage : (assuming 1 each of mouse, k/b, 2x HDD, 2x fans)

igp + low end cpu = <300W
low end card + low end cpu = <350W
mid end card + mid end cpu = <500W
high end card + high end cpu = <600W

for single gpu, you should NEVER need more than 800W
GPU consumes the most power in a rig, plan accordingly, also, older cards usually need more power.

for future upgrades, you can go with corsair GS600 or seasonic sIIsomething 620W. both will provide clean, stable power.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Ger Corsair GS600 @4.5K

It is the best choice at your budget and will also give you headroom for future expansion or upgradation.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What is the difference between the CX, GS, HX, TX series, etc? I know that GS means Gamer Series (or something like that), but how are they different technically?

Last edited:

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
What is the difference between the CX, GS, HX, TX series, etc? I know that GS means Gamer Series (or something like that), but how are they different technically?

I found this on net:
The Differences between All Corsair Power Supply Units | Custom PC Guide .net

Not sure whether it is correct.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^It is mostly correct.
Only thing is that the new batch of GS series which are more efficient(80+ bronze) are still to be available here afaik.Only GS500 has no revision till now.
Previous batch of GS series i.e. which are available here are 80+ certified only.
All the new HX series are 80+ Gold certified.Previously hx750 and hx850 were 80+silver while hx650 was 80+bronze certified.
As for warranty AX and HX come with 7 years of warranty.TX comes with 5 years warranty while GS,CX,VS units have 3 years warranty.
VS series PSU are sold in Asia and have no proper info upon there efficiency except the manufacturer's claim of up to 80/85% on some units.

CarlonSamuels

Journeyman
Corsair CX series is more efficient than Corsair GS series atleast the ones in availible in india All GS series PSu offer above CS series is better fans and LED lights

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^GS series units have more wattage on their +12V rail than comparable CX v2series units.CX V2series is fine though.
As for efficiency both the CX and GS series units have 80+ certification barring the new batch of GS series(80+bronze).
Different units of GS(old ones) and CX series would have little difference in efficiency under different levels of loads and temperature,but we can't say if one is more efficient than another without data.Anyway the difference in efficiency would be much low to make any substantial difference.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i'd say you plan for the future rig and then decide on the PSU. will be much safe.

but a ~600W corsair/seasonic will be enough though if you go for 78xx series.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Corsair CX series is more efficient than Corsair GS series atleast the ones in availible in india All GS series PSu offer above CS series is better fans and LED lights

Totally wrong post.
Efficiency & quality wise:
AX >= HX > TX > GS > CX >> VS.

And those who are concerned with - new GS series PSUs (i.e. 80+ bronze certified) are available in India from past 2 months or so.

CarlonSamuels

Journeyman
^What i wrote was based on the earlier posted link

Any way OP should be fine with the CX600 as the GS 600 would be just crossing his budget

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
If we do not take budget into consideration, what do you guys recommend? Perhaps, I can try extending the budget if the PSU is more suited.

doomgiver

Warframe
TX650 is a nice choice, as it will manage anything thrown at it, upto a i7 and HD79xx / GTX680

but its expensive, and there is really no need for it, if you stick to your upgrade plan (ie, HD78xx).
in that case, GS600 will do. (having some extra power is always welcome, better a overpowered psu than an underpowered one)

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
TX series is 80+ Platinum rated.. efficiency >90%

TX series will be an awesome choice provided you can shell out the cash :)

Top Bottom