What kind of salary do people working in the IT field get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Finally, yes, talent matters to certain level. If someone who do not know anything (complete zero in everything) get into any premier institute, the institute will not be able to cange him a lot ! But in real, its a very rare case as most good institutes screen the candidates very well.

That's my Point the Entrance Exams of most Premiere institutes has so much of PCM that it makes it necessary for the student to cut-off from Other things like omputers , English , etc .

So Institutes Accept students only on basis of PCM marks , that is fine as far as Engineering Goes but for Comp n Some other specialized fields they should have atleast one extra paper to judge their abilities .

Coz a person who starts at 0 from IIT will not go uch far in comps . But a person who is already adept at Maths(Discreet , Calculus) n Comps will be able to do much more in that 4 Year's Time .

Math is the fundamental Subject for comps , you need to be Really Good at Math and have a very good Understanding of Calculus , Discreet Mathematics n in general all of Maths(although trigonometry is not really maths) to be good at Computers.

So if instutues start taking students on the basis of the Skills required for their fields rather than use the "One-Size Fits All" approach then I'm positive that they'll find better candidates .

And yeah , IIT Entrance Exam was a hell lot easier in 1995 . Now even the Class XII course is more than what used to come in the IIT Entrance Exam in 1995 so this demands the Student to dedicate even more time to PCM n leave other Important subjects as English , Comps .

I have atleast 4-5 Friends in my School who i know will surely get elected into IIT . But 4 of them only study PCM n don't study English(language or Literature) . They score good marks in PCM but are utter rubbish in English . We have to change this mindset and promote an Education system that Emphasizes on the Development of the Complete Personality of the Person rather than just analytical skills(unless of course all you want to do is work in a job 9 to 5 , work like a labourer and do nothing else)

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
@nvidia

OK, I guess my post was lil confusing.

I never meant to say anyone will suit for any job. Not like that. We need to have basic knowledge, but that need not be in computers (In my post I meant software field all the time and not PC hardware). If your logical skills are good, if you find solution to any type of problems very fast, if you are good in working in a team, if your HR skills are good - Sure, you will succeed in IT field.

What I meant is logical skills, etc are more important than anything.

And yes, computer skills matter when you get a job. I was talking about the computer skills before entering into Engg College, thats plus 2 level (12th standard / Grade).

@Zeeshan Quireshi

Yes, agree with most points !

Maths - yes matters. I was talking about computer alone. I meant to say computer knowledge alone - at 12th class - wil not make them good in IT field. They need logical skills etc (which of course related to maths) and there our thinking match :)

And regarding the mindset you mentioned - 100% rt - Thats the only thing that didn't change from my days ! I mean at that time also, students were there who used to give more importance to PCM and nothing to English etc. That is not a good way, for sure. But I do not think it wil lchange in the near future as Engg Entrance Exams gives more importance to PCM. Unless thats changed, the way of thinking will remain the same.

Regarding the Entrance, yes, at that time it was tough for that batch. Now it is tough for the present batch. It is like that ! Everything is changing. Curriculum changes, text books changes, technology change. So people need to learn more and they learn more advanced things. When you look back you see things were pretty easy before. After 10 yrs from now, when an IIT student check the qn papers of 2008, he wil lthink - WOW, how easy thing were then !

Another example, when we started coding in PHP in 2001, even our Professor in IBM learning was not aware of such a a language. Now even school students know that.

Last edited:

juggler

In the zone
@din
Good posts....
Companies focus more on logical and analytical skill while deciding a candidate for job.

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
@din
Good posts....
Companies focus more on logical and analytical skill while deciding a candidate for job.

True. IT companies believe that if the candidate has necessary analytical skills and good grasping ability (and basic programming skills in C), they can mould them in the domain they wish to. The training period is very important for a fresher

coolman

Right off the assembly line
as far as i know, for 2008 recruits, companies like cognizant, accenture, wipro, TCS, tech mahindra, IBM and satyam are giving packages of around rs 3 lack p.a. infosys is giving a lower package of 2.3 to 2.7 lack p.a for its campus recruits

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
True. IT companies believe that if the candidate has necessary analytical skills and good grasping ability (and basic programming skills in C), they can mould them in the domain they wish to. The training period is very important for a fresher
That means that the 4 Years the Student spent doing his B.Tech Degree are a waste !

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
According to me the entire system is flawed. Even the best institute in our country [the IITs] could not care less about anything that is outside your marks card. IT DOES NOT TAKE BRAINS TO CRACK THE IIT. All you need to do is slog. What they should be doing is testing our mental potential, not cramming stuff into our heads.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
please dont waste 4 years :D
Ya im' not . I'm gonna Do my Bachelor's in North America.

A Technical Degree is supposed to train you for Your Profession . so that you can Apply your knowledge immediately once you're outside . But Indian Universites seem to think otherwise .

Like for example , they still haven't introduced Standard C++ in Curriculum after 11 Years of it being Standardized(ISO C++ was Adopted in 1997).

Last edited:

2kewl

Sangeet Premi
That means that the 4 Years the Student spent doing his B.Tech Degree are a waste !

Well yeah, in a way...but the engg. degree is what matters and basic programming skills taught in the syllabus are pretty essential

"IT DOES NOT TAKE BRAINS TO CRACK THE IIT. All you need to do is slog. What they should be doing is testing our mental potential, not cramming stuff into our heads."

Cracking the JEE involves much more than cramming. You can cram you a$$ off but if you don't have the talent, you'll never make it. hardwork is also very very important

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well yeah, in a way...but the engg. degree is what matters and basic programming skills taught in the syllabus are pretty essential

"IT DOES NOT TAKE BRAINS TO CRACK THE IIT. All you need to do is slog. What they should be doing is testing our mental potential, not cramming stuff into our heads."

Cracking the JEE involves much more than cramming. You can cram you a$$ off but if you don't have the talent, you'll never make it. hardwork is also very very important
And that essentially means Depriving Yourself of all the natural experiences of a normal Teenage Life and shutting yourself in a room(in your house or in 'kota') for Two years .

OP
ring_wraith

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=

I didn't say cramming, I said slogging. Just about anyone can get 90%+ in ISC by preparing well. In the same way, just about anybody can clear the JEE by preparing properly. It does not take an insanely high IQ or mental intelligence, you just need to be dedicated.

The Indian system does not stress anyone's talents. It's like you just need a basic amount of talent, beyond that it is just slogging.

This is hopelessly pointless for programmers, whose real test is their innovation and as someone rightly said, frame of mind. Programming is not about slogging, it is about thinking. An elite art, if I may.

din

Tribal Boy
A Technical Degree is supposed to train you for Your Profession . so that you can Apply your knowledge immediately once you're outside . But Indian Universites seem to think otherwise .

Wrong ! Practical knowledge matters. A civil engineer can go to site or office from day one after he pass out from Engg college, but he can't become an expert on that day. Either he need to get experience or he need help form someone whos an expert. Engg colleges helps us technically, and upto certain limit in practical aspect as well, and of course those theory a student learn helps him too, but practical knowldge he will get only from real world. No university can give you that.

Another thing is, during our college days, there was a thing called IT (not information technology but Industrial Training), like students will get 10 or 15 days in a company or in a factory where they get in touch with the real world - which of course help them a lot. Not sure whether its stil there in Engg colleges.

Even the best institute in our country [the IITs] could not care less about anything that is outside your marks card.

Sorry, but absolutely wrong - especially in case of IIT

IITs care for everything and that is why we have IAS guys from IITs ! We have famous cricket players form IIT. We have great police officers form IIT. Great business people form IIT. These does not means they just waste their 4 yrs and becomes something else.

IIT or premier institues gives importance to everything and not just the technical subject they opt. The 4 yrs we spent in IIT or institutes like that mould us fit for a bright future and career.

And I still feel its not easy to believe my points unless you study in Engg college ! As I have an experience. Like few yrs back, my friends planned to start a software firm. There were B.Tech guys, Science graduate studnts, B.Com guys etc. One thing we noticed, B.Tech students were leading the whole team at majority of the time ! I mean not in coding, I meant - decision making, meeting clients, presenting ideas, in team work etc. I am not boasting or I am not telling B.Tech is the best. Nothing like that. But I am sure the 4 yrs we spent was never a waste, it helped us a lot.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I think this bump was well worth it. Since it is recession time, what is a fresh graduate expecting? I've got more questions, but will get back once this is answered :)

There is no job opening in Chennai as of now.But i heard few from friends like no salary for 3 - 6 months and then its based on your performance ..lol i heard few more same condition and bond for 1 and half year

above offers are from NIIT Staff ( unofficial announcement )

From NIIT : No jobs except Bpo from IBM and Sutherland (Official announcement )

PS:i am doing a course on NIIT ( Wasted ~28K Money and 7 months of time :evil: )

IITian

Broken In
during our college days, there was a thing called IT (not information technology but Industrial Training), like students will get 10 or 15 days in a company or in a factory where they get in touch with the real world - which of course help them a lot. Not sure whether its stil there in Engg colleges.

ya it's still there and now it's duration has been increased to 40-60 days.

my bad.. i missed out the whole debate of talent vs slogging!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom