what is the diff btwm modular & non modular psu

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
In sort, in modular PSU you have the option to use/disconnect power cables coming out of PSU. It helps us to reduce extra/unwanted cables from the rig & thus creating a cleaner rig. Difference of price is also an issue.

OP
DARK KNIGHT

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
I got it man , I checked the video of linus dff btwn modular & non modular
psu now i got the dff btwn them .

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Tell me guys the difference BTW modular & non modular psu

most of the people use non-modular PSU.

modular PSU is mainly used by enthusiasts & gamers & overclockers...

as said above in modular we can adjust the power needed so it becomes a variable load PSU.

for a normal user its not at all mandatory.

most popular modular PSU is from seasonic

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
most of the people use non-modular PSU.

modular PSU is mainly used by enthusiasts & gamers & overclockers...

as said above in modular we can adjust the power needed so it becomes a variable load PSU.

for a normal user its not at all mandatory.

most popular modular PSU is from seasonic

How can you adjust the load..?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ I think he meant that removing extra cables from any modular PSU will decrease extra load from PSU. But sadly, his sentence have no meaning. ;)

heartripple

In the zone
^^ I think.....more hardware connected to SMPS the more power used from SMPS....you cant conserve the power with disconnected cables.....

Zangetsu

this is what i found in wiki
A modular power supply is an approach to cabling which allows users to omit unused cables. Whereas a conventional design has numerous cables permanently connected to the power supply, a modular power supply provides connectors at the power supply end, allowing unused cables to be detached from the power supply, producing less clutter, a neater appearance and less interference with airflow

someone with deeper knowledge of PSU may add more clear points

MegaMind

Human Spambot
I mean we can change the watt
ex: if its a 550watts PSU then we can make it to work @450watts conserving power

We can't make it work @lower wattage...
Not only a modular, but a non-modular PSU does the same by itself(providing the required power)...

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
The only difference between modular & non-modular PSU is: with modular PSU your cable management looks good, and without it, you 'may' face problem in cable management.

OP
DARK KNIGHT

DARK KNIGHT

The silent Warrior
This is not right d6bmg if u see the old psu like my u see the cable mangement is different.
it is not similar like these days psu's ,so it not the proper info of modular & non modular psu.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I mean we can change the watt
ex: if its a 550watts PSU then we can make it to work @450watts conserving power

so you are saying a 550W non-modular PSU will continue to deliver 550W even when the system needs only 150W?

or that the efficiency will be the same whatever be the load? 550W or 250W.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
this is what i found in wiki
A modular power supply is an approach to cabling which allows users to omit unused cables. Whereas a conventional design has numerous cables permanently connected to the power supply, a modular power supply provides connectors at the power supply end, allowing unused cables to be detached from the power supply, producing less clutter, a neater appearance and less interference with airflow

someone with deeper knowledge of PSU may add more clear points

Yes, what you have quoted is absolutely true. But understand if the end of a cable has a resistance attached to it THEN only will the PSU draw increase. So suppose you have a modular and non modular PSU and both are connected using the 12V ESP and 20+4 ATX and one HDD each. Now you have some spare molex on both. You remove the molex connectors (all) on the modular PSU, both will still output the exact same power. Why, cause they do not have resistance at the end of the cables. Clutter and cable management is better, but power control is not possible.

Zangetsu

so you are saying a 550W non-modular PSU will continue to deliver 550W even when the system needs only 150W?

or that the efficiency will be the same whatever be the load? 550W or 250W.

that was my assumption which was not clear...:mrgreen: :oops:

Top Bottom